S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Options after a spun bearing....

Old 01-30-2015, 09:45 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Options after a spun bearing....

So, curious to hear the different options for those that have had a spun bearing issue. Coming down off a 4th gear pull the other day it happened and Im pretty certain the crank is going to have to go as well. I would like to set a $5-6k budget for the rebuild. Have toyed with the thought of an inlinepro F24 setup. I know some people have purchased new motors and have regretted it. Just looking to see what the consensus is for those that have been in this spot and if you would address it the same way as you have previously if it happened again. The car is a backup, I would like to have it driven a few times a week- 95% use on the street with the occasional autocross outing. Thoughts?
Old 01-30-2015, 10:04 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by Torkey
So, curious to hear the different options for those that have had a spun bearing issue. Coming down off a 4th gear pull the other day it happened and Im pretty certain the crank is going to have to go as well. I would like to set a $5-6k budget for the rebuild. Have toyed with the thought of an inlinepro F24 setup. I know some people have purchased new motors and have regretted it. Just looking to see what the consensus is for those that have been in this spot and if you would address it the same way as you have previously if it happened again. The car is a backup, I would like to have it driven a few times a week- 95% use on the street with the occasional autocross outing. Thoughts?
for a rod bearing, look at the bores. if they are good, dissassmble, clean, buy new crank, 1 rod, full set of bearings, rings, hone and reassemble, can probably be done for less than $1500. i spun a rod bearing last year, but it caused the piston to score the cylinder beyond the bore limit.

if the bore is damaged honda has new blocks (ap2 only) for 1500 or you can get it sleeved for 1500 (this will require new pistons due to different expansion rates)

if block is damaged, find the lowest mile takeout longblock, have them do a compression and leak down test before you buy with video or photos and slap it in (~$2500 shipped for a F22c1) (i just bought a 80,000 mile takeout with good compression numbers for 2400 shipped, very happy with it)

or go whole hog and buy something new with a (hopefully) warrenty.
Old 01-30-2015, 02:55 PM

Received 1,315 Likes on 993 Posts

You have rod knock, but are you sure you actually spun a bearing? If not, maybe crank can be saved. A crank polish, new bearings may be all you need. I know Billman can even do this with motor in car and without dropping the crank.
Old 01-30-2015, 03:44 PM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Depending on your location, either myself or Billman can get you fixed up. I can build you a new motor if need be and make it better and stronger than stock as well as do the installation for you if you're local. Let me know.
Old 02-07-2015, 08:26 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Car Analogy
You have rod knock, but are you sure you actually spun a bearing? If not, maybe crank can be saved. A crank polish, new bearings may be all you need. I know Billman can even do this with motor in car and without dropping the crank.
Im pretty sure it is FUBAR lol. I finally got a chance to drain the oil today and look at it. I felt like for a second I should be panning for nuggets. Options after a spun bearing....-g2erzqg.jpg

Originally Posted by jordanksartell
Depending on your location, either myself or Billman can get you fixed up. I can build you a new motor if need be and make it better and stronger than stock as well as do the installation for you if you're local. Let me know.
I am located in Texas. Still weighing my options as to build/install a new motor or firesale the car as is. Decisions decisions I guess lol. Im not super opposed to the idea of loading the car up on a trailer and towing to a reputable shop. Send me some details/options if you want.