S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

parts needed to swap in ap2 diff

Old 02-25-2013, 05:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default parts needed to swap in ap2 diff

hey guys

before i get flammed to use the search, i did research for the past 2 hours on this topic but couldnt find the specific information of what exact parts i need to perform this swap

anyways, my ap1 diff broke, so i am purchasing an ap2 diff from a member here.
my friend is a technician at a big dealership, so he can do the swap for me, i just need to provide him the parts and basic instructions in fitting the ap2 diff into my ap1

so far, i found out that i will need to swap out the flange from the ap1 diff onto the ap2 diff, and need to get new bolts?
i heard i will need 10mm bolts? how many do i need 6? and what exactly are these bolts called? should i just go to honda and ask for 10mm s2000 differential bolts?

and what specific tools will he need? its a very big dealership so i am pretty sure he has all the tools but i just want to be safe

i found that the flange nut has to be torqued to 94ft/lbs but there were mixed suggestions.. can someone confirm?
thanks
Old 02-25-2013, 05:43 PM

Received 16 Likes on 13 Posts

http://robrobinette.com/S2000Differential.htm

Check out the above. I'll see if I can locate the flange nut torque.
Old 02-25-2013, 06:36 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

94ft/lbs is the minimum load BUT, more important is the turning torque after you set the load on the pinion nut. You want to replace the pinion nut with a new nut before you start.
You want 12 inch pounds of turning torque on the flange once the minimum 94ft/lbs is set. If the flange is still loose increase the load by 10ft/lbs until you meet the in/lb load. If you exceed, go over 15 in/lbs on a used rear you should replace the distance piece and start over. If you exceed the inch pound load or lock the flange up by overloading it you can not just back off the pinion nut you have to replace the distance piece or the rear will fail if you try and use it. Replacing the distance piece requires taking the rear apart.

You do not need to replace the 6 bolts you ask about that hold the prop shaft to the input flange of the differential unless you strip them out. They are 8mm socket heads that you can order from Honda if you need to.

Basic tools are all you need for the R&R you will need a inch pound torque wrench and a foot pound torque wrench to set the flange.

PM me if you need to call me to walk you through the job, you get one shot at doing it right

Good luck
Old 02-25-2013, 06:43 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by RacerXI

Nice link, I did not know that was out there, I built that rear
Old 02-25-2013, 07:49 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by RacerXI

Originally Posted by S2KPUDDYDAD
94ft/lbs is the minimum load BUT, more important is the turning torque after you set the load on the pinion nut. You want to replace the pinion nut with a new nut before you start.
You want 12 inch pounds of turning torque on the flange once the minimum 94ft/lbs is set. If the flange is still loose increase the load by 10ft/lbs until you meet the in/lb load. If you exceed, go over 15 in/lbs on a used rear you should replace the distance piece and start over. If you exceed the inch pound load or lock the flange up by overloading it you can not just back off the pinion nut you have to replace the distance piece or the rear will fail if you try and use it. Replacing the distance piece requires taking the rear apart.

You do not need to replace the 6 bolts you ask about that hold the prop shaft to the input flange of the differential unless you strip them out. They are 8mm socket heads that you can order from Honda if you need to.

Basic tools are all you need for the R&R you will need a inch pound torque wrench and a foot pound torque wrench to set the flange.

PM me if you need to call me to walk you through the job, you get one shot at doing it right

Good luck
thanks so much for the info, really appreciate it
puddydad i will pm you if i do have any more questions, thanks again!
Old 02-25-2013, 08:59 PM
Community Organizer

Received 551 Likes on 503 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KPUDDYDAD
Originally Posted by RacerXI' timestamp='1361846625' post='22363522

Nice link, I did not know that was out there, I built that rear
Yep its a small world Rob is a friend of mine here in Seattle area. Looks like someone borrowed some pics from his build thread to put this together. I'm the guy that shipped you a couple blown diffs last year. I will probably want one similar to Robs in the future.