S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Piston carbon removal

Old 07-29-2022, 05:00 PM

Received 17 Likes on 14 Posts
Default Piston carbon removal

Hello all,

I have a healthy engine - Which arguably gets too much love.

When pulling a spark plug out I noticed (normal) carbon deposits on top of the piston. I'm wondering if its worth attempting to clean this up?

I use redline SI-1 fuel additive on occassion which claims to help clean these deposits.

On a similar note, I have never cleaned the throttle body and wanted to get a consensus as to whether it is safe to spray throttle body cleaner into the throttle body direct (with the engine off) OR if a gentle wipedown around the throttle flap is all thats needed.

Cheers!
Old 07-30-2022, 03:24 AM

Received 419 Likes on 349 Posts

Originally Posted by ss2ooo
Hello all,

I have a healthy engine - Which arguably gets too much love.

When pulling a spark plug out I noticed (normal) carbon deposits on top of the piston. I'm wondering if its worth attempting to clean this up?

I use redline SI-1 fuel additive on occassion which claims to help clean these deposits.

On a similar note, I have never cleaned the throttle body and wanted to get a consensus as to whether it is safe to spray throttle body cleaner into the throttle body direct (with the engine off) OR if a gentle wipedown around the throttle flap is all thats needed.

Cheers!
Only wipe down the TB, do not spray. Leave the pistons alone, unless you're tearing down the engine. Steam will clean carbon deposits from the piston, ask people with blown head gaskets how their pistons look.
Old 08-01-2022, 06:12 AM

Received 1,346 Likes on 1,013 Posts

People use seafoam to try and clean piston carbon. It works, though results vary.

Its also possible to use steam. Someone posted how they used a bucket of water, a fully warmed engine, and a pair of forceps (medical plier/tweezer thing that locks in steps). Hooked to an engine vacuum hose.

Crazy, right?

But reading what he did, it made sense, so tentatively I tried it, and it worked! Pistons were perfectly clean afterwards.

There are all sorts of things that can go catastrophically wrong here, so not for faint of heart. Proceed with all caution.

You could hydrolock the motor. You could spot cool too quickly and crack head or even block.

Basically, you use forceps to limit how much water the vacuum hose can suck up. Water turns to steam, steam cleans pistons. White cloud of steam out exhaust, occasionally turning darker as it cleans.

Don't try this without finding and following the thread. This post not meant to be instructional.
Old 08-01-2022, 07:22 AM

Received 364 Likes on 338 Posts

Leave it alone
The following users liked this post:
ss2ooo (08-04-2022)