S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Removing the gearbox without dropping subframe?

Old 02-07-2016, 07:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Removing the gearbox without dropping subframe?

I'm in the process of removing the gearbox so I can replace the bearings.

I've got most of the way there, just really need to get to the top bolts on the bell housing.

I've read the DIY regarding dropping the subframe, however these bolts have been done up stupidly tight!

The one I did manage to get undone with a massive breaker bar, however it has obviously broken the weld holding the nut in the chassis, rather than undoing the bolt, as it now just spins.

I would rather not risk doing this to another bolt, so am looking at a possible alternative to get the box out.

I found if I undo the gearbox mount, and let her hang, I can almost get to the top bolt, however the chassis is in the way by around 3mm, so I only need to drop the engine around 5mm!

I was thinking, if I undid one of the engine mounts, with a couple of jacks/support under the engine, whilst keeping the mount the other side still attached.

Will there be enough flex in the mount to let me drop the engine by say 1cm? Then reverse for the other side.

Do we think this would work? Or anyone got an alternative?

Cheers
Old 02-07-2016, 07:46 AM

Received 1,221 Likes on 751 Posts

You're in a tough spot.

The right way is to cut a box in the frame, and weld in a new nut, weld it back shut.

One option for you now is to remove the motor mounts, and lower the engine that way. The trans will never clear until the engine is lowered quite a bit (lowering subframe 3" is just enough, I'd imagine the same amount for engine only)
Old 02-07-2016, 07:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

From what I recall, the subframe had to drop a fair amount to enable the transmission to tilt for extraction. You may be able to get to the top bolt by removing one engine mount, but it may not be enough to drop the trans out of the tunnel. One issue with leaving one motor mount in place is that you're putting a lever-arm force on that mount only. You could easily split the thing in two as it tries to spread apart.

I would spray the other 3 subframe bolts with PBlaster and use an impact gun instead. The hammer action of the impact really helps.
Old 02-08-2016, 11:24 AM

Thanks, didn't realise it needed to drop to get the clearance to remove.

I think I will try removing both mounts and lowering the engine, and finding something to make sure it won't slip off the jack!

Then will set About sorting the front subframe bolt after! Annoyingly I sold my welder last month as I hadn't used it in years....
Old 02-08-2016, 12:48 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If you have an engine hoist, you can support the motor from the top without fear of it falling off a jack.

You are going to rock the transmission quite aggressively to split it from the motor, make sure it's well supported however you do it.
Old 02-17-2016, 04:44 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I have done this twice. I would suggest lowering the subframe 3 inches. Look up the DIY to remove the transmission and you will find all the tools necessary. I did mine on jack stands in a car port lol. Good luck! If you have any questions PM me!
Old 02-17-2016, 06:39 PM

I recently dropped the transmission to replace the clutch on my 2001. Initially I only lowered the subframe about 1.5". This was not enough. Lower it the 3", it'll make life easier.

robert