S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Rotational/Rolling sounds when coming to a stop. '03

Old 10-25-2022, 07:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Rotational/Rolling sounds when coming to a stop. '03

Okay, I have a couple sounds going on but I am 100% sure I have identified one as clutch buzz. It only happens on decel and only when the clutch is engaged in gear and not neutral. If you flutter the gas or press the gas at all you can tell it goes away. So eventually I will take care of it but my more concerning noise is where my questions are.

When I put the car in neutral and roll to a stop I can hear what I can only describe as a rolling rotational grind. It is not super loud but it is noticable when coming to a stop. I bought the car recently and the prev. Owner told me it was the wheel bearings. From the sound, I concurred. I just replaced the wheel bearing and hubs on the front and the noise is still there. It sounds like it's either under the gear box or more up front than rear. Although, it very well could be how the sound reverbs through the car throwing me off. I don't really hear it in gear or when accelerating, it has to be fairly quiet to hear. I plan on attaching a lav mic under the car and driving slowly to see if I can pin point it.

Any ideas out of the gate? Part of me wonders if it's a drive shaft component but it's so hard to tell. I'll try to get video of it and post shortly. Just trying to get some minds turning and see if anyone know what to try. It really does sound a lot like a wheel bearing that has gone bad, I just can't imagine it's the rears based on where I'm hearing it come from. No play in any of the tires when in the air. Fronts, again, we're just replaced.