S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

s2000 powered kit car

Old 02-01-2006, 09:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default s2000 powered kit car

hey everyone,

i was just wondering if anyone could give me a bit of advice?

im currently building a gts kit car(caterham style) and using an s2000 engine, box, loom, digital display and ecu. tbh i couldnt find a better engine than the f20c.

weighing in at 450kg, with a custom manifold and exhaust,and hopefully around 250+bhp it should be quite amusing!

the engine and box arent a problem. but ive been told that using a standard ecu in a conversion like this will cause me problems? i.e, the ecu will go into safe mode when it doesnt detect electric windows, folding roof etc...?

is it possible to use the standard ecu for this conversion? if not, which standalone ecu would you recommend?

also would the digital display work without any problems?

and last of all, does anyone have any wiring diagrams of the s2k, for when im ready to chop out half the loom?

appreciate any help

regards

steven
Old 02-01-2006, 11:56 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Actually hecash you are wrong about engine management issues. The first couple of Ultralites were built using the SDS because everyone just "knew" you couldn't use the stock ecu due to the immobilizer system and yes the SDS wasn't up to the task so those people went with AEM but all other Ultralites built since then all use the stock ecu.

They run wonderfully and run just like stock, cause they are. At 1200-1400 lbs they are screaming bandits!!!!

If you use the stock ecu you will have to use the stock key and immobilizer but you can put those right by the ecu or you can remove the immobilizer system entirely and then you don't need the stock key.

The clues as to how to remove the immobilizer came from the UK list so I am sure someone over there can tell you step by step how to do it. It's not all that hard
Old 02-01-2006, 12:03 PM

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

You might be able to run a standalone EFI system like megasquirt.. MS2 had provisions for fuel, spark, ignition, IAC stepper, throttle position sensor, MAP, and a lot of nifty options. This will leave you in the dark as far as gauges and various other sensors and emissions crap.
Old 02-01-2006, 01:29 PM

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Chris Barry, a member here, has a PRB Clubman running F20C drive train and is using the stock ECU. You should send him a PM.

http://www.speedracersportscars.com.au/PRBS2K.htm

In my understanding of the stock ECU it isn't concerned about ancilliaries like the windows but it does expect to see some load from an O2 sensor and the secondary air pump. All these things can be worked around to fool the ECU into thinking they are in place.
Old 02-01-2006, 05:40 PM

Well maybe I said it wrong. You were right that the first 2 had standalones, but you were wrong in the assumption I made that you were saying all the Ultralites ran aftermarket ecus & had probs. Maybe it was just the way I read it.

Brian @ Ultralite went to stock ecus and hasn't looked back since. As best I know only one owner has felt the need to do a VAFC and I think only 1 has since gone with an AEM in the quest for some more power. With that kind of power/weight the problem is using all the power you've got, not worrying about an extra 20 hp or so.

My bad.
Old 02-01-2006, 08:07 PM

you could always run say, a J's ecu. someone correct me if im wrong, but it doesnt have immob, and all the smog provisions are removed. anyways, my .02. lates
Old 02-02-2006, 01:54 AM

Hi M8, have a look on the locost forum and do a search for my user name (http://www.locostbuilders.co.uk/index.php). I've have posted loads about most of what you will need to know to undertake this build. I had to go though all of this on myself as I was one of the first in the UK to build a F20C powered seven type car.
To cut a long story short the ECU's of choice are AME EMS Motec M4 and the Hydra.
The AEM is a plug and play unit in regards to the wiring. The Motec can be bought with a Honda Harness and the Hydra can be purchased with a adapter loom.

Indy2000 has just poster this in the UK forum
http://indy2000.co.uk/
Old 02-02-2006, 06:04 AM

Even tho there are standalone ecus that will work you have to ask yourself do you want to go thru that much trouble for the chance to EVENTUALLY make a few (very few) more HP than the stock ecu?

You are talking not only the extra cash to purchase them up front but loads of dyno time and quality road or track time lost when you could just use the stock ecu and be driving.

If it ain't broke, don't fix it I guess is what I am saying. Now if after you have yours running and all the handling sorted and are in contention for a national title and you need a little extra then I'd say go for it.

Atomic I have seen that Flyin Miata is now using the Hydra for the Miatas and they seem to like it, but the only time I looked at it for the S there were no applications and not even a general map that would allow you to start the car. Is it developed for the S to the point that there is a support system yet? It looks intriguing.
Old 02-02-2006, 02:52 PM

Received 17 Likes on 12 Posts