S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

S2K fans, fuel pump

Old 04-04-2011, 05:35 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default S2K fans, fuel pump

Couple of simple things with my S that are wrong but I just want to clarify.

My 03 S is completely missing the right (passenger) fan shroud assembly. There is a connector there for it. Car does not over heat or anything. I just want to clarify there should be 2 fans correct? (I have AC, and the driver side fan is still there).

Also, my fuel pump whines horribly. It seems to go away a bit when you are on the gas, but when idling or when off the gas it comes back. It is only really noticeable at idle when there is no road noise, but it just bugs me. I have never drove another S other than mine (other than customers in and out of the shop). Are the pumps just that loud because of how close you sit to them? My theory was the oem one went and someone replaced it with a cheap one.

Thanks in advance!
Old 04-04-2011, 10:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, there should be two fans. You should get one before warmer weather sets in. The factory fuel pump is not very loud, so you may have an after market pump. Walbros and other high volume pumps make much more noise than stock. I think there is also a relief valve on the pump. Someone with a little more knowledge than me may know if this would cause the stock pump to be noisy if it were malfunctioning. Alternatively, if the bottom of the tray the soft top retacts into is missing or incorrectly installed, it would let alot of noise from the fuel pump enter the cabin, so you may want to take a peek over the seat and see if everything is as it should be. Hope this helps.
Old 04-04-2011, 10:22 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks a ton for the reply! So I'll definitely have to get a fan asap. I also noticed my ac fan was not turning on when the ac was turned on, and the compressor doesn't appear to engage.

As for the pump, my walbro in mu civic sounds very similar (same whine), just quieter. I'd expect the civic pump to be a little quieter though since its farther away and there is a seat over it. The plastic tray is there, ill have to double check its in place correctly. I have a rattle I'm going to have to take some paneling off to find, I guess ill pull the pump then too and see whats going on (id actually be happy if it was a walbro)!