S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

S2K New Car Engine Swap

Old 01-06-2015, 01:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default S2K New Car Engine Swap

So I found a guy selling a 2003 honda s2000. The problem with it, is it had a blown out engine. He bought himself a F20C engine not put together yet. He doesn't know the mileage of the new engine or specific year if its a 2001-03. The Honda S2000 has around 10,000 miles on the car itself. I have no problem with putting the engine together etc, but I want suggestions and info on what I should do with this kind of deal. I realise it might be a bit dumb of me to buy this car, but its relatively cheap compared to most other Honda S2000's in my area or in the surrounding areas for that matter.
I will be checking the Vin today or tomorrow.
He has just messaged me saying the head of the engine, the numbers match, but on the block the numbers don't match.
Some of the things he said
Complete valve job and head surfaced
New Honda OEM (Still in package) oil pump, motor mounts, transmission mounts.
New timing chain, oil pump chain, complete gasket set
I believe almost everything is there to put it back together. You will need to buy a clutch set.
I bought the car with a blown motor for a project and do not have time to finish it. I have all the receipts for the motor work and parts.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Completely depends on the price. Obviously you're totally relying on the seller for any information/issues with other areas of the car. It would have to be a crazy good deal for me to go this route.
-Jason
Old 01-06-2015, 03:24 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^^
I agree 100%. Since you don't mind putting it together it might not be too bad. Assuming it's the stock motor that blew, I would question how the hell he blew a stock motor at 10k miles. I'd be prepared for headaches with this one. Just my .02
Old 01-06-2015, 03:30 PM

Originally Posted by LDfavoriteson
^^^^^
I agree 100%. Since you don't mind putting it together it might not be too bad. Assuming it's the stock motor that blew, I would question how the hell he blew a stock motor at 10k miles. I'd be prepared for headaches with this one. Just my .02
he says he bought a s2k with a blown motor, and he bought it as a project for him to do. the reason he is selling it is because he doesnt have time
Old 01-06-2015, 03:44 PM

Originally Posted by jasons
Completely depends on the price. Obviously you're totally relying on the seller for any information/issues with other areas of the car. It would have to be a crazy good deal for me to go this route.
-Jason
He said "I have all the receipts for the motor work and parts". so when I check the car out myself I will look at all the receipts etc. and the price is around 8k
Old 01-06-2015, 04:12 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

run all vin's

an MG Midget became part of my life.. 50 bucks.. this was along time ago mind you, but, It was 5 boxes of motor and parts, engine and cabin compartment parts.. odds an ends.. and a rolling body, no dents, I owned one, and had this spare, took me about a month to get the second car up and running.. ( far less complex a car )

if your inclined, go for it..

Old 01-06-2015, 04:41 PM

Originally Posted by Ryuu
run all vin's

an MG Midget became part of my life.. 50 bucks.. this was along time ago mind you, but, It was 5 boxes of motor and parts, engine and cabin compartment parts.. odds an ends.. and a rolling body, no dents, I owned one, and had this spare, took me about a month to get the second car up and running.. ( far less complex a car )

if your inclined, go for it..
Ive kind of came to an assumption that since the car doesn't run, and im to assemble an engine that I have no idea what the miles on it are and have no idea if it will even work I probably just wont get it. Im going to still check it out, but for a non running car the price should be 1/3 of what he is asking. Id say its a cheap price but I have no idea if the car will even run after i put the engine in.
Old 01-06-2015, 06:15 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

^^^^^
Yeah you've hit the nail on the head. I'd go check it out. If the vin's match and he makes you an offer you can't refuse it might be a fun project. I just try to weigh out all my options, I'd hate for you to screwed over on something like this.
Old 01-07-2015, 05:02 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

If the body/ interior show like a low mile example with good paint, headlights, and fresh looking seats I would probably jump on it. Make sure you get an autocheck confirming title condition, mileage, etc. Pretty much any 12-13 year old s2k is going to have its issues- yes sometimes even the $13-14k ones that appear immaculacute in an ad with less than 100k miles.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:02 AM

Received 1,247 Likes on 944 Posts

I think I saw this car on craigslist.

10k miles. Ehhh...it didn't look like the car only had 10k miles when I looked at pics. But we might be talking about different cars.

I think the dude was selling for like $7.5k or something. So...cheap if it actually has 10k miles. People on craigslist do random things. It may or may not be the actual chassis miles.

Quick Reply: S2K New Car Engine Swap