S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Shin-Etsu Success

Old 10-05-2018, 02:43 PM

Received 20 Likes on 11 Posts
Default Shin-Etsu Success

I spent 45 minutes this morning giving my car a rubdown with Shin-Etsu. After putting on disposable gloves, I conditioned every rubber seal on the doors, trunk, hood, and top. It was a good opportunity to check the overall condition and spend some quality "hands-on' time with my car. I have a set of hardtop strikers to install that I have been procrastinating doing and have been hitting the top down button to tighten things up after latching. Upon completion, I drove into work and was amazed at how quieter the car is. I will still install the latches but wow what a difference the plump seals made. If you haven't applied Shin-Etsu in a while, I highly recommend it!

I also took the opportunity to spend 5 minutes to replace my cabin air filter. It looked like a birds nest in that thing...
Old 10-06-2018, 09:43 AM

Received 1,563 Likes on 929 Posts

3M Automotive Dielectric Grease is the identical chemical makeup, same properties, at a much better price and quantity.
The following users liked this post:
linuxjacques (10-10-2018)
Old 10-06-2018, 02:59 PM

Received 67 Likes on 58 Posts

I just did the shin etsu treatment last week for the first time. Peice of mind knowing i'm taking care of the smaller details on the car.
Old 10-09-2018, 06:26 AM

Received 23 Likes on 15 Posts

Just got my S2K in June. Picked this up this week to treat it over the winter

Old 10-09-2018, 07:43 AM

Even more better (same stuff chemically) because it is cheaper, comes with brush in the lid, and you get more for more projects.

https://www.3m.com/3M/en_US/company-...3194053&rt=rud
Old 10-09-2018, 09:37 AM
Community Organizer

Received 76 Likes on 60 Posts

Something like Sil-Glyde, available at most autoparts stores, should also work.
Old 10-09-2018, 10:41 AM

Received 8 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by alSpeed2k
Something like Sil-Glyde, available at most autoparts stores, should also work.
does Shin-Etsu leave any residue once applied? I used Sil-Glide last summer on my rubber trim, and took couple weeks for it to not have the silicone residue all over. Couple times it got onto shirts on accident, and felt kinda messy
Old 10-09-2018, 12:48 PM

Originally Posted by Deckoz
Dielectric grease is not the same thing, it does the same thing. But it is not the same thing, as it leaves a resudue like petroleum jelly. Shin-etsu soaks in.
Yes it is. The company Shin Etsu describes their silicone grease as a dielectric grease with nearly identical properties to 3M Silicone Paste. The only difference I could find in the chemical makeup is Shin Etsu adds a Lithium metal soap (lithium stearate and lithium 12-hydroxstearate) which adds a mild cleaning property to it.
Old 10-09-2018, 07:44 PM

Not all dielectric grease is silicone. 3M and Shin Etsu are. The 3M is more of an unaltered product and the Shin Etsu has the lithium metal soap and it turns out, some solvents that evaporate. Here is a link from the company on its silicone grease.

Below is a snapshot from 3M.

Perhaps we are making a mountain out of a molehill. Practically speaking, the two products are identical. You get a lot more with 3M that you can use for all kinds of automotive, electrical, and household uses for a decent price. Shin Etsu is in a much smaller package and may not lend itself to other applications.

It goes without saying that a little goes a very long way.

https://www.shinetsusilicone-global....se/index.shtml

3M:

Details
  • 100% silicone lubricant
  • Safe for use on all the rubber and plastic parts of your vehicle
  • Can be applied in a thick film for long term performance in severe conditions
  • Also applies as a thin film for near-invisible protection
  • Excellent dielectric properties make it suitable for use on electronic parts
  • Screw-top bottle features built-in brush for easy and consistent application
Use 3M™ Silicone Paste for the many areas of your vehicle that require long-term protection from the harsh conditions of environmental exposure. This non-hardening, water-resistant paste can be applied heavily to help seal out contaminants and weather. It can also be spread thin for nearly invisible lubrication and protection.

Safe for use on all the rubber and plastic parts of your vehicle
A Multiple-Purpose Auto Lubricant and Protectant
So many uses, so much value — our 3M™ Silicone Paste is a non-hardening, water resistant, 100% silicone-based compound designed to lubricate and protect a broad range of surfaces and surface combinations. This compound is suitable and safe for use on the plastic-to-plastic, plastic-to-metal, plastic-to-rubber, rubber-to-rubber, and rubber-to-metal areas throughout your vehicle. It both conditions the rubber to keep it soft and supple and protects it from damage due to wear & tear and environmental exposure. It has excellent dielectric properties, meaning it insulates rather than conducts — use it under your hood to protect battery terminals, ignition systems and other low voltage electrical parts where arcing can cause oxidation or corrosion.

Apply this paste thick to help seal out moisture, contaminates and other environmental elements or spread it thin for a nearly invisible coating that will provide lubrication and protection. A brush is permanently attached to the top of the container to make applying 3M™ Silicone Paste more convenient.

Recommended Applications
  • Weatherstrip seals: doors, trunks, hatches, sun-roofs, etc.
  • Can help eliminate squeaks in instrument panels and from other trim panels.
  • Excellent for lubricating the threads of fasteners that screw into plastic: dash panels, interior parts, trim parts, headlight bezels, taillight lenses, license plates, grills and fog lamps
  • Lubricate tight fitting plastic & rubber parts during re-assembly: hoses, O-rings, rubber grommets, chassis & steering bushings, etc.
  • Dielectric grease for electronic equipment, ignition systems, and electrical terminals.
  • Spark plug wire terminals
  • Bulb bases: Tail lights, turn lights, marker lights, stop lights, convenience lights, trailer lights
  • Brakes: caliper guide pins, outer caliper seals, outer wheel cylinder seals
  • Seat tracks, window tracks and window regulator mechanisms

Can be applied in a thick film for long term performance in severe conditions
The Science of Vehicle Care from 3M
We developed this lubricant and protectant to save you time and help you get the most enjoyment and value from the vehicles you own. With its easy application and ability to protect a wide range of surfaces, our 3M™ Silicone Paste is another great example of how 3M applies science to life — and makes your life easier when it comes to making your vehicle look and perform its best.

Do not use on the steering wheel, seats, brake pedal, accelerator pedal, clutch pedal or other operational controls of your vehicle as surfaces may become extremely slippery and prohibit proper use of these safety and functional items. Not suitable for use on cosmetic surfaces (dash pad, arm rests, center counsel, etc.) as material may transfer to clothing or skin, cause surfaces to become extremely slippery and collect light dust. Not suitable for use on glass or optically clear plastics (windows, instrument cluster lenses, plastic headlights, etc.).
The following 2 users liked this post by cosmomiller:
linuxjacques (10-10-2018), SkidPad (10-11-2018)