S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Should a 2002 S2000 have gear trouble?

Old 11-04-2002, 07:38 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

You should not use engine oil- to keep the dealer happy I would suggest only Honda fluid, and take it to them if you continue to have trouble. If it is grinding, you are definitely wearing the gears and will probably need to have it rebuilt eventually.

If you want to try and fix the problem yourself, you can try GM Synchromesh or Redline, but I guarantee you regular motor oil is not the optimal fluid to use.
Old 11-04-2002, 11:22 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I've been getting the 2nd gear grind in my '02 also. I haven't grinded at all in the other gears though. I also have the notchiness, but that doesn't bother me as much as the grind. It's embarrassing to me to grind, and it doesn't make the car as enjoyable to drive if I'm always having to think twice to shift into 2nd. Don't get me wrong, the car is still a blast to drive

For me, I'm pretty convinced that it's heat related though. I'm in Central Ca. and it can get pretty hot here in the summer - over 100 degrees. I bought my car this past Feb. and the grinds didn't start coming till summer. Now that it's getting cooler, I've noticed I haven't grinded as much. There will still be that 1 that catches me off guard.

Also, I tried switching to GM synchro. The stuff worked great for me for the first couple hundred miles, but the grinding just came back. Now after about 1,000 miles on the GM stuff, the shifter feels like how it was with the Honda fluid.

-Brian
Old 11-04-2002, 06:20 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by marcucci
[B]You should not use engine oil- to keep the dealer happy I would suggest only Honda fluid, and take it to them if you continue to have trouble. If it is grinding, you are definitely wearing the gears and will probably need to have it rebuilt eventually.
Old 11-04-2002, 07:42 PM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Asura
[B]

Basically I have changed it 6 times since january.
Old 11-05-2002, 03:26 AM

My S2000 has just under 2000 miles on it so far. I have not had any problem slipping switching into 2nd, but have 2 other problems. 1st, when I accelerate at 100% in 1st gear the clutch slips (complete loss of power) just after vtec kicks in but not all the time. Wandering if anyone else has this problem. I have not taken it to the dealer as I have been trying to figure out exactly when it happens, so far it seems it usually occurs when the clutch is cold. Also considering that clutch may not be completely broken in because I have babied it so far. 2nd, I get an occasonal grind switching into 1st and sometimes 2nd with the clutch fully depressed. Seems the same problem I have seen other numerous posts about. I am more concerned about the 1st problem at this, but am worried I will not be able to recreate the slip if I take it to the dealer as it does not happen all the time.
Thanks and any info would be appreciated.
Old 11-05-2002, 04:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Asura
[B]
I am thinking about using redline MT-90.
Old 11-05-2002, 05:36 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by marcucci

Yes. If this is the heavier stuff intended for domestic gearboxes (and not the MTL that's normally recommended for Hondas), I would definitely stay away from it- it will be WAY to heavy and probably not provide adequate lubrication, even when hot. I suspect it will make the tranny grind like hell.
I haven't tried MT-90, and won't until spring, but cdelena has had good results with it. He likes RL MT-90 better than GM Synchromesh.
Old 11-05-2002, 06:28 AM

Does the MT-90 need more frequent changing? I just want more protection in a track situation.

cdelena-could you chime in here with your experience?
Old 11-05-2002, 06:30 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Carlson
[B]

Did you see any metal shavings in the tranny fluid?
Old 11-05-2002, 08:43 AM

I have 6000 miles on my 2002 S. I just had my first 2nd gear grind this weekend when the car was COLD (about 40 degrees F). It was my first shift to second that day. Never happened again and it may be because I didn't wait long enough to make sure the car was all the way in gear before letting my foot off the clutch. It is REALLY when cold. I've never had a problem once the car is warmed up or in VTEC range.

Quick Reply: Should a 2002 S2000 have gear trouble?