S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Soft top replacement without removing roll hoops/seats

Old 12-04-2018, 08:02 PM

Received 613 Likes on 420 Posts

Originally Posted by Nightshade1

Thanks, should hold up for a bit. It’s the same OEM stayfast vinyl but it’s a Sierra brand top. I didn’t want to go cloth I don’t have a garage available to park in, needed something easy to clean.
I would probably recommend a Robbins top be it vinyl or cloth because the holes were just barely in place on this one I bought. The Robbins tops holes are perfectly drilled and ready to go. This one was not 100% ready.
You did an excellent job regardless. I've heard nothing but good things about the Robbins top, and I'll most likely be getting the cloth version. Thanks for further solidifying my choice; it was between a Robbins or OEM.....But OEM prices are nearly double that of a Robbins....I simply can't justify the price gap for a mere brand name, and generally I'm all for OEM, but they're getting close to $1,400 now shipped, or 2k+ installed...Might as well just buy a hard top getting into that price territory...
Old 12-04-2018, 08:31 PM

Received 49 Likes on 48 Posts

Looks great man. Still don't know how you did it. I'm jealous. Looks good!
Old 12-04-2018, 09:52 PM

Received 8 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyle
You did an excellent job regardless. I've heard nothing but good things about the Robbins top, and I'll most likely be getting the cloth version. Thanks for further solidifying my choice; it was between a Robbins or OEM.....But OEM prices are nearly double that of a Robbins....I simply can't justify the price gap for a mere brand name, and generally I'm all for OEM, but they're getting close to $1,400 now shipped, or 2k+ installed...Might as well just buy a hard top getting into that price territory...
Thanks man I appreciate that. I feel that because i was right on the fence about what i was going to do. Hardtop would have taken away my ability to get into roadster mode easily and that’s honestly one of the best experiences you can have with this car (the sound of this engine at high powerband topless) Plus the fact of not having a garage clinched it for me. I know the price ranges are a pretty different too. OEM hardtop is the cost of another S2000 practically, i just think that’s really silly. A real jdm carbon fiber top is almost as much as the OEM and questionable at best for everyday city usage.
With so many fitment issues and QC issues I’ve heard after people drop a couple grand on “double sided CF” hardtops i’d be pretty salty if it happened to me as well.
Another reason i love having a soft top as opposed to hard top is due to all blind spots disappearing when it’s dropped. I’m coming from riding sport bikes and being able to look over my left or right shoulder before cutting into a trajectory gives me piece of mind, as I would on the bike.
But cruising the S2000 today was nice with the top up, it’s raining here today and nice to put the heater on and actually drive without freezing now that winter in California is in full swing.
I think you’ll be happy with your top when you buy it and install it. It takes a bit of research before committing one way or the other.

Last edited by SennAP1; 12-04-2018 at 10:15 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:00 PM

Originally Posted by HarryD
Looks great man. Still don't know how you did it. I'm jealous. Looks good!
Thanks bro I appreciate the comments. It’s a lot of work but the time goes by quickly, there’s a lot of little things that don’t get put in the write ups I’ve seen. It’s kinda intuitive if you’ve read up on it, I don’t think we even looked at directions once we started in on it. It just helps to study before the test.

Last edited by SennAP1; 12-04-2018 at 10:11 PM.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:02 PM

Old 12-04-2018, 10:34 PM

Received 186 Likes on 160 Posts

[left]

Yes I’m glad it’s over and the job well done.
Have not checked to see how rich it’s running at the moment. I’m NA and yet I’m pretty sure the car is running rich. It has a Mugen ecu and a high flow
Oh cool! Mugen ECU eh? It may be mapped for a higher octane fuel than you currently have access to. With the high flow cat fuelling has changed, kind of like when you run an exhaust but I've never seen that much "richness" before. Perhaps take it to a dyno place or exhaust shop where they can "sniff" the exhaust and give you the AFR reading? What if you're running dangerously rich like 10.x you'll never know until you get a reading.
Old 12-04-2018, 10:44 PM

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
Oh cool! Mugen ECU eh? It may be mapped for a higher octane fuel than you currently have access to. With the high flow cat fuelling has changed, kind of like when you run an exhaust but I've never seen that much "richness" before. Perhaps take it to a dyno place or exhaust shop where they can "sniff" the exhaust and give you the AFR reading? What if you're running dangerously rich like 10.x you'll never know until you get a reading.
Yes you could be right. Upon hitting VTEC and moving on up to 9k a black plume omits. The car feels healthy. No codes. The car was originally from NY and had some goods installed before i got it. There is still some mystery about here and there. But another contributor could be that my cruising RPM is higher than most due to a 4.77 final drive gear. At roughly 77mph I’m touching 5k rpm in 6th. High flow kat w HKS Hi-Power.
Good post though I should get her sniffed and see if the demons inside are normal.
Old 12-05-2018, 01:34 AM

Yes you could be right. Upon hitting VTEC and moving on up to 9k a black plume omits. The car feels healthy. No codes. The car was originally from NY and had some goods installed before i got it. There is still some mystery about here and there. But another contributor could be that my cruising RPM is higher than most due to a 4.77 final drive gear. At roughly 77mph I’m touching 5k rpm in 6th. High flow kat w HKS Hi-Power.
Good post though I should get her sniffed and see if the demons inside are normal.
Black plume confirms it. Richie rich has entered the building. Are you able to map or adjust any values on that Mugen ECU of yours? Since the car was previously modded then it would explain why the ECU is probably trying to compensate for those mods by adding in extra fuel, a bit too much maybe. Your higher cruising speed will not affect AFR far as I know. Whenever you get around to getting an accurate AFR reading we can see what's up from there.

"...and see if the demons inside are normal..." sounds like this could be a line in a metal song
Old 12-05-2018, 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by RolanTHUNDER
Black plume confirms it. Richie rich has entered the building. Are you able to map or adjust any values on that Mugen ECU of yours? Since the car was previously modded then it would explain why the ECU is probably trying to compensate for those mods by adding in extra fuel, a bit too much maybe. Your higher cruising speed will not affect AFR far as I know. Whenever you get around to getting an accurate AFR reading we can see what's up from there.

"...and see if the demons inside are normal..." sounds like this could be a line in a metal song
It’s my understanding that the F20C runs on the rich side. I’d rather be a little rich than lean. It’s good advice to get a proper reading though and I appreciate your input.
Old 12-05-2018, 09:57 PM

It’s my understanding that the F20C runs on the rich side. I’d rather be a little rich than lean. It’s good advice to get a proper reading though and I appreciate your input.
Yeah I've heard that too. It is tuned rich but more especially up top. A little rich is good for cylinder cooling. Too rich and you get piston wash and then eventually ka-blam. Happened to my friend's car. NA but piggyback tuned. No AFR reader onboard. Rod snapped 3 years later. He found out it was running way too rich. You're welcome man, hope all goes well