S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

SRS light, went to Honda dealer

Old 10-26-2022, 09:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default SRS light, went to Honda dealer

Hello all,

I recently started my '06 and the SRS (airbag) light stayed on. I tried to reset it to no avail, wasn't able to get the wire back in within the 4 second range. At any rate, I took it to my local Honda dealer who diagnosed the issue with 2 codes: 1). 20-11 "Increased resistance in the drivers airbag first inflator" and 2) 92-20 stored" open or short to ground in the passenger airbag cutoff indicator" which the write up says "cleared, did not reset" speaking about the 2nd code.

The odd thing is, before I drove off I let the car idle for a minute while I was getting situated and realized that the SRS light is no longer on. I stopped at the store and when I started the car again to leave the SRS light was still off.

I have searched the internet and I have not found the 1st code "20-11" anywhere but I do see DTC code 1-1 says the same thing, but I have found the other one matches up.

Honda is wanting me to purchase an airbag to replace the driver's side one.

I am wondering, why is the light not on if there is still an issue, per Honda (do you think they reset it and are trying to get $ out of me?)

It is quite confusing but I want to be sure that my airbag is working. Usually a light will come on and I ignore it because I know the car is sound but this is a major safety feature.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks
Old 10-26-2022, 12:00 PM

Received 1,572 Likes on 936 Posts

If the unmodified airbag system goes through it's startup up test and all systems pass, the light will go out. There are a number of things that are tested and checked. If you have corrosion or a wire that is starting to degrade on the airbag (resistance is increasing beyond limit) it could be intermittent. The light could be out for a bit and then in a month, it could come back on. If you have that kind of an issue, do you want to take a chance on the deployment of the airbag after a collision? You may have to bit the bullet and get a new bag. Be careful if you try to work on the bag yourself. You must disconnect the battery and allow at least 30 minutes for the capacitors to discharge or the bag may fire. When I worked on one of my Fords, I was in the back seat when I started the car just in case!

A short can be a real pain to find. Ask me how I know. I had a short in my T-Bird that would rear it's head whenever the car was driven in the rain. I spent some time trying to find bad wires and waterproofing them all. The big problem is that when a short was detected, the circuit board control module committed suicide by burning out a soldered fuse on the board. I became rather proficient at removing and soldering new fuses (Only a couple bucks online-the size of a resistor). I do not know if the S has a similar design to prevent unintended bag deployments in the event of a short.
Old 10-26-2022, 12:18 PM

Received 1,147 Likes on 1,009 Posts

What are those codes? There are four different types of OBD-II codes – P, B, C, and U. The P stands for powertrain (engine and transmission) systems, B for body, C for chassis, and U for network and wiring systems.

-- Chuck
Old 10-27-2022, 07:44 AM

Received 1,572 Likes on 936 Posts

Some typical Honda causes of the SRS light from the web:
  • Passenger occupancy sensor.
  • Disconnected or damaged wire harness.
  • Faulty connectors.
  • Blown airbag.
  • Blow pre-tensioner.
  • Dead battery.
  • Clock Spring.
  • Fault stored in the SRS module after an accident.
  • Defective clock spring.
  • Low battery voltage.
  • Unplugged connector.
  • Damaged Wire harness.
  • Damaged SRS / crash sensor.
  • Defective airbag.

Read the SRS / Airbag module’s fault codes.