S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

steering problem....

Old 07-29-2017, 01:58 AM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Smile Fantastic

That is great news that it has fixed your problem. PLEASE come back and let everyone know how the next few weeks go... Looking forward to hearing.
Just as an FYI, mine has been fine with NO issues ever since I applied the grease.
Old 07-31-2017, 10:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 2001 with 275x30x19 Tires and EPS error.

I have a 2001 with 275x30x19 tires in front and 305x30x19 in back. When turning the wheels the EPS comes on and does not go off. My mechanic states that the torque sensor can not handle the bigger wheels. Is this true? Could it possibly be that it just needs to be greased?

Any thoughts on the above would be greatly appreciated.
Old 08-01-2017, 01:28 AM

Default EPS Fix

Originally Posted by nebulink
I have a 2001 with 275x30x19 tires in front and 305x30x19 in back. When turning the wheels the EPS comes on and does not go off. My mechanic states that the torque sensor can not handle the bigger wheels. Is this true? Could it possibly be that it just needs to be greased?

Any thoughts on the above would be greatly appreciated.
Hey nebulink, I really don't know if the tires have any involvement in this issue, sorry. BUT, if I were you I would just try adding some grease to the EPS unit. It only takes five minutes to apply. You may be able to apply the grease right from under the hood. Take a look at the pictures in this this thread and you will see the unit. Please let us all know if you were able to stop the jerking.. Most mechanics do not understand this fix. Even my Honda Dealer didn't know it would fix it. GOOD LUCK
Old 08-01-2017, 05:03 PM

Received 102 Likes on 71 Posts

Interesting find lachambers. My EPS doesnt work at all right now, my boot it very dry. I will try and grease my TS.

EDIT: I smeared Honda urea grease on the shaft around the seal. I then used a 90 degree pick to pull the seal up and sprays WD-40 into the unit past the seal and the steering came to life! Time to go on a test drive.

Double edit. Although it came to life, it was still very choppy. Brought the car back and sprayed a little more lube past the seal. Now the steering has no assist and the EPS light is stuck on.

Work in progress...

Last edited by RAIN H8R; 08-01-2017 at 05:32 PM.
Old 08-02-2017, 02:30 AM

Originally Posted by RAIN H8R
Interesting find lachambers. My EPS doesnt work at all right now, my boot it very dry. I will try and grease my TS.

EDIT: I smeared Honda urea grease on the shaft around the seal. I then used a 90 degree pick to pull the seal up and sprays WD-40 into the unit past the seal and the steering came to life! Time to go on a test drive.

Double edit. Although it came to life, it was still very choppy. Brought the car back and sprayed a little more lube past the seal. Now the steering has no assist and the EPS light is stuck on.

Work in progress...
I'm not sure what you mean about "spraying WD40 in to the seal" , Do you mean into the TS? Either way you have to apply the grease under the boot /seal and on the TS unit itself. You probably mean that wanted to make sure you applied GREASE not just WB 40. I"m sure the WD40 cleaned it but will not work as a Lubricant.
Please let me know how it goes as you move forward.... GOOD LUCK!!!
Lachambers
Old 08-02-2017, 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by lachambers
I'm not sure what you mean about "spraying WD40 in to the seal" , Do you mean into the TS? Either way you have to apply the grease under the boot /seal and on the TS unit itself. You probably mean that wanted to make sure you applied GREASE not just WB 40. I"m sure the WD40 cleaned it but will not work as a Lubricant.
Please let me know how it goes as you move forward.... GOOD LUCK!!!
Lachambers
Correct. I sprayed WD 40 behind the seal. It works for a while, once I turned the ignition off, the next time I drove the car it didnt work at all.

I have another (USED) TS coming soon. Ill take mine apart once I get my new TS installed.
Old 08-03-2017, 01:30 AM

Rainh8r
What kind of grease to you put on the TS???
Old 08-19-2017, 10:14 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

That is great news that it has fixed your problem. PLEASE come back and let everyone know how the next few weeks go... Looking forward to hearing.
Just as an FYI, mine has been fine with NO issues ever since I applied the grease.
The first test drive was promising, but it returned back to having the same issues right after that. This at least tells me that my EPS issues are likely stemming from the torque sensor since there was a change in operation with the grease application. I may not have gotten the grease in all the right spots since I couldn't see, but I'm thinking it's time for a new TS. I've found new OEM AP2 TS online for around $300. Does anyone know how much Honda or a reputable shop would charge to replace it? Also, is there an aftermarket TS available someone could recommend or is there only an OEM option?
Old 08-20-2017, 02:09 AM

Hi SLCS2KAP1, thanks for your update. I read that there were no aftermarket TS units available and that Honda is not making any more. But that was somewhere on these threads. Mine is still working with only the grease installed. I did notice once in a slow turn it wanted to try to come back but just barley. So I put more grease (same grease that you would lub in grease fittings) in the TS and it has not come back. So that tells me that the grease did not get all the way into the unit the first time. Please let us know what your outcome is moving forward.. thanks again for the update..
Old 08-22-2017, 06:52 PM

Rainh8r
What kind of grease to you put on the TS???
Genuine Honda High temp Urea grease.

It didnt solve my troubles. I have a used AP1 rack on its way.

Quick Reply: steering problem....