S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Stereo not working

Old 06-24-2017, 01:30 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Stereo not working

A while back, my stereo decided it didn't want to work. Having a heck of a time figuring out what's wrong...
The stereo backlight comes on when I turn the key to the on position. The anti theft light blinks normally. Once the backlight is on, no text is displayed on the stereo.stereo. Shortly after the stereo backlight comes on, I hear a static pop come from all my speakers at the same time, as if it's sending some kind of signal to them..
ive already checked fuses. Not just the radio fuse, but EVERY fuse, under the dash AND hood... I've replaced the radio and accessory fuses with brand new fuses despite them being perfectly fine (just in case). I'm at a loss.

For a little background, this happened after a small road trip. Had the top down, music fairly loud so it could be hear over the wind (maybe 30?) Definitely not up all the way. Ended up turning the volume all the way down using the dash volume control, and didn't turn it back on.
Since that point, next time I tried to turn the stereo on, the above mentioned issue has been present.

Any ideas what's going on? Every other thread I can find on the internet seems to be people's fuses blowing, and simply replacing them fixes the issue.. not here..

​​​​​​
​​
Old 06-24-2017, 02:11 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Stock radio?
Old 06-24-2017, 03:26 PM

Yes, it's the stock stereo.
Old 06-24-2017, 03:56 PM
Community Organizer

Received 154 Likes on 125 Posts

Just source a used OEM radio because it will be cheaper than getting your original unit repaired, codes can be obtained from the dealer to unlock it.
Old 06-24-2017, 07:55 PM

Sounds like you're implying my stereo is fried? That doesn't sound very good... Nobody think it's something I could fix on my own? That's what I was hoping for anyway...
Old 06-25-2017, 06:55 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

Modern electronics aren't made to be serviced. If the backlight comes on, but no text, it could be the lcd display. Since the security led flashes, sounds like the brains of the unit are at least somewhat functional.

But if it were just the lcd, it should play music. Can you pop in and eject a cd?

All the simple things are indeed fuses, but fuses mean no power. You have power to get blinking security led, illuminate backlight, and get audible pop from radios built in amp out of speakers.

Its not easily fixable. If you are concerned about originality, look for used, working radio. Otherwise just go buy an aftermarket head unit. Its performance will exceed stock, and a good one can be found for well under $100. It will have modern features like Bluetooth, syreaming, usb, cell phone integration, etc.

I would consider a cd-less unit. Go thumbdrive. No moving parts, less stuff to break. Who needs cds anyway these days...
Old 06-25-2017, 08:37 AM

Alright, thanks guys. I was afraid that would end up being the conclusion. I'll probably end up getting a new style unit then.
I appreciate the help.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:27 AM

It's been quite a while now, but I finally decided to rip out my stereo. I wish I had done it two months ago... After disconnecting the two main cables in the back I decided to just plug them back in, and what do you know, my stereo started asking for the security code. Turns out it wasn't broken after all. Since the cables were very secure when I first took it out it's making me think there might be some kind of shock sensor within the stock stereo. Does anyone know this to be true? It stopped working after going over some VERY rough road / bumps.

Either way, it's all good. No need to buy anything new, which I'm super glad about.
Old 08-25-2017, 10:43 AM

Received 1,316 Likes on 994 Posts

Thx for coming bacl and telling the result. Could help someone else!
Old 08-25-2017, 11:44 AM

Received 1,424 Likes on 954 Posts

Originally Posted by llevron20
It's been quite a while now, but I finally decided to rip out my stereo. I wish I had done it two months ago... After disconnecting the two main cables in the back I decided to just plug them back in, and what do you know, my stereo started asking for the security code. Turns out it wasn't broken after all. Since the cables were very secure when I first took it out it's making me think there might be some kind of shock sensor within the stock stereo. Does anyone know this to be true? It stopped working after going over some VERY rough road / bumps.

Either way, it's all good. No need to buy anything new, which I'm super glad about.
No shock sensor that I know. But, the contacts may have a bit of corrosion. Which cleaned off, when you disconnected and reconnected the terminals. Happens all the time in high end hi-fi and guitar amps. I like Deoxit D5 to help clean and protect the connections.

Glad it's working, again.