S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Supercharger causing issues with clutch installation

Old 08-22-2002, 06:48 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Supercharger causing issues with clutch installation

I got my Vortech supercharger installed first, and now want to do a clutch/flywheel and no one will touch it because the engine has to be dropped in order to install the clutch.

Everyone I talk to at Honda dealerships keeps telling me that I need to uninstall the charger first(yeah right) in order to do the work.

I'm posting this out there for those of you who are thinking of doing the charger first, based on all the $hit I am going though I would HIGHLY suggest you do the clutch before the charger.
Old 08-22-2002, 07:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Jenner, sorry to hear that you are running into some nuisance with clutch install.
Unfortunately what you have said is true, indeed the engine has to be lowered to be able to unbolt and take off the housing.
I just did my clutch install with Comptech charger on but my mechanic wasn't too thrilled to do some extra work because of the supercharger.
Took him about 5hours(could do 3 if not for the lunch and other breaks).
Here is what he did on my Compteched car.
Took off the S/C belt, unbolted the oil feed line to the blower, loosen and took off the bracket/blower. I also had additional pipes that need to be removed because of my intercooler set-up.
And then, header comes off then the usual works begins.
Takes off the shiter and other stuff inside that would interfere from dropping the engine. Any brace(xbrace) comes off, take off any underneath harnes plugs, drive shaft comes off and finally the housing when the engine is finally lowered.
It involves lots of step just be able to get to the clutch part.

And I just can't imagine what Vortech charger would add to more additional steps in doing this clutch job.

Shoot, even if I have all the tools, I wouldn't dare myself to do this job, it was real pain. I don't know how my mechanic keeps track of all the bolts that he removes. He is awesome.
He just shake is head, and tells me why do you mess with the perfect car?

Good luck in finding the place to do the clutch work, if not come down to Virginia again and I can refer you to my mechanic at the shop and he will do the work at reasonable price.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:08 AM

Hrmm. My mechanic never mentioned this issue when I had my SC installed...that's interesting. I knew the tranny came down, but I wasn't aware that the motor had to be moved at all.
Old 08-22-2002, 08:38 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by 1Randyc
[B]....
Takes off the shiter and other stuff inside that would interfere from dropping ....
Old 08-22-2002, 09:00 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Oh shoot, I wrote that huh?
Must work on the grammar and spelling.
Old 08-22-2002, 10:09 AM

iv'e had my comptech supercharger off and on twice in 2 weeks recently....1st for soft bushing bracket upgrade, then new clutch.
it's been off-on one other time for 1st blown clutch.

except for the few extra parts leftover(not), its gone back together without a glitch. plus you can inspect the internals to see how its holding up. mine looked superclean (~13K miles?),
i was told others tended to look dirty. probably because i've maintained foam airfilter closely.