S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

TCT Question

Old 09-09-2022, 05:45 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default TCT Question

Hey guys and girls, got a quick question regarding my 04's TCT.

There's been a ticking noise coming from the car sometimes on idle ove the past year. I don't drive the car much so didn't pay much attention to it because the TCT was replaced with an OEM unit 4 years ago. In that time the car has covered between 15 to 20k miles. Since the car is making ticking noise now, which I'm pretty sure is TCT related, I wanted to ask your thoughts on what could cause the TCT to wear out so soon? Just in case I should be replacing anything else alongside the TCT, which I will upgrade to a billman/ballade item

Many thanks for your time and help
Old 09-09-2022, 06:17 AM

Received 51 Likes on 41 Posts

If you replace the TCT, holy crap, don't waste your money on Ballade. Get a Billman.

There is nothing else to do "while you're in there" replacing the TCT. It's an easy <10 minute job. I suppose you could replace your VTEC gasket, but you could also just do it later...

Are you sure the ticking is the TCT? I can never tell all those noises apart. Have you checked valve clearance? It doesn't hurt to do that every ~50k even though the owner's manual says 105k. Especially if you don't know the history of the car. My exhaust valves were all (intentionally?) set too tight. It seemed too consistent for them to have all randomly tightened up to .008".

As far as the TCT wearing out, I think the OEM unit is just prone to failure. But 15-20k does sound very low.

Last edited by Save the Manual Wagons!; 09-09-2022 at 07:04 AM.
Old 09-09-2022, 07:02 AM

Received 122 Likes on 99 Posts

Also check your belt tensioner pulley bearing. LHT sells just the bearing, if you are inclined to DIY the replacement. If not, you can buy the whole tensioner unit from Honda.

The following users liked this post:
Save the Manual Wagons! (09-09-2022)
Old 09-09-2022, 07:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Save the Manual Wagons!
If you replace the TCT, holy crap, don't waste your money on Ballade. Get a Billman.

There is nothing else to do "while you're in there" replacing the TCT. It's an easy <10 minute job. I suppose you could replace your VTEC gasket, but you could also just do it later...

Are you sure the ticking is the TCT? I can never tell all those noises apart. Have you checked valve clearance? It doesn't hurt to do that every ~50k even though the owner's manual says 105k. Especially if you don't know the history of the car. My exhaust valves were all (intentionally?) set too tight. It seemed too consistent for them to have all randomly tightened up to .008".

As far as the TCT wearing out, I think the OEM unit is just prone to failure. But 15-20k does sound very low.
Yeah man valve clearances were done 30k miles ago
Old 09-09-2022, 10:25 PM

Received 83 Likes on 57 Posts

Originally Posted by Save the Manual Wagons!
I know people don't like Alex, and you can find plenty of stories on here, but their TCT is a completely acceptable product. Not everyone wants to send Billman their TCTs for a core exchange. I've had a Ballade TCT for like 6 years without issue.
Old 09-10-2022, 07:20 AM

Received 419 Likes on 349 Posts

The TCT doesn't wear out, the guides and chain do. A small amount of chain stretch and guide wear will require more tension from the TCT. The replacement TCTs solve this issue by putting the piston slightly closer to the guide and increasing oil flow to the unit. You can tune the TCT, the unit has a bypass valve that can be adjusted, but ain't nobody got time for that.
Old 09-11-2022, 03:58 AM

Received 280 Likes on 203 Posts

Sorry, but the Bypass valve can not be adjusted. It´s a unit with a ball and spring inside, crimped close from the Factory. Exactly like the Banjo Bolts for the piston oil squirters.
The Bypass valve unit is then screwed into the TCT boby wich is also crimped so that the Bypass valve dont come loose.
You could screw it out of the TCT Body, that´s all.

On could also consider to buy the BLOX https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-mo...w-tct-1199207/ or the TODA TCT.
Old 09-11-2022, 05:42 AM

Received 44 Likes on 38 Posts
Default VIDEO….

Hello Fizzle,

Not sure how Billman handles shipping out of USA. However, if it were me, I would make a video of starting the car and post that. Someone would be able to better diagnosis your issue.

Have a good day and best of luck to you!

Old 09-11-2022, 07:43 AM

Received 280 Likes on 203 Posts

Billman do not ship his TCT outside the USA. When you live outside the USA and dont have relatives in the USA, you simply have to buy one of the alternatives i have listed above.
The following users liked this post:
stock06 (09-11-2022)
Old 09-11-2022, 08:27 AM

Received 1,317 Likes on 798 Posts

Botttom line is chain tension, that’s it.

Post a video of the noise, 4 feet from the front of the car, hood closed.

Quick Reply: TCT Question