S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

TCT REVIEW-Why I Choose and Support Billman's Product

Old 09-08-2014, 10:28 AM

Received 1,323 Likes on 801 Posts

No punch intended man all good
Old 09-08-2014, 10:50 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by AE_Racer
Originally Posted by Billman250' timestamp='1410198805' post='23321402
[quote name='AE_Racer' timestamp='1410192959' post='23321187']
Ballade got my business due to good reviews, no wait, ease of ordering and not having to send/prepay for a core. If billman could rectify those last 2 things i'm sure he'd have much more business.
The product, what goes into it, and what it achieves is the bottom line, and yes it will take more "work" than others to complete the process. Business is not about who sells the most stuff.
I wasn't trying to throw a punch at you. I know the value you add to the community and it is much appreciated. I'm sure everyone who has visited the under the hood section have learned something from you. I was just stating it's a bit more difficult than it should be to get your product. Off topic I guess, sorry.

To the OP, if this is a ballade tct please let me know so I can pull mine and look. How many miles were on this one? I have put about 6k on mine in just a few months..
[/quote]

As I stated, from my findings Ballade and IP use identical internal parts, so it would be wise for whoever owns either to open it up and inspect just to be safe. That is unless we hear from either company that they indeed changed the internals at some point (which there has never been any mention of).
Old 09-08-2014, 11:49 AM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

So Billman, do you accept cores of the Ballade
Old 09-08-2014, 02:13 PM

Received 1,323 Likes on 801 Posts

I have a pin here from one of the early Inline Pro TCT and I can easily cut it with a file.

I also have another pin from an unknown TCT that was returned as a core. The bottom of the pin is also galling. Will post a pic if needed.

So the only concrete fact I can share is the IP TCT does not have a hardened pin (up to at least one month ago). I don't know if anything ever changed.

If you can scratch the pin with a file it is not hardened, and will wind up like the one pictured. Or worse.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:40 PM

Received 19 Likes on 15 Posts

All I know is my engine was making a loud ticking sound I ordered the TCT from Billman at full cost I received it very quickly. Promptly installed and sent back old TCT and was promptly refunded core cost. I have put over 6,000 quiet miles on the car since and been completely satisfied.
Old 09-08-2014, 05:56 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Billman250 is awesome he has helped me multiple times with my TCT which was difficult because I have a built motor and decked block and head. We've even discussed the problem over the phone.

Great guy
Old 09-08-2014, 08:18 PM

Received 1,627 Likes on 966 Posts

Originally Posted by AE_Racer
Originally Posted by cosmomiller' timestamp='1410145622' post='23320426

Agreed. I am currently waiting for my TCT from Billman to arrive. I selected the natural silver finish to blend with my stock car.

In addition to the "never heard of a single issue" are the design features Billman outlines on his site/store/signature. An individual with that kind of singular devotion to the S, combined with his mechanical knowledge and breadth of real world experience, leaves me with the conviction his improved TCT cannot be beat.
im not sure i've seen this "Store" you are speaking of, care to link?

The "Store" I was referring to was the link in the bottom of Billman's "signature". Not really a store but a link to what he offers.

Just click on it for info.
Old 09-09-2014, 10:54 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Billman250

I have a pin here from one of the early Inline Pro TCT and I can easily cut it with a file.

I also have another pin from an unknown TCT that was returned as a core. The bottom of the pin is also galling. Will post a pic if needed.

So the only concrete fact I can share is the early IP TCT does not have a hardened pin. I don't know if anything ever changed.

If you can scratch the pin with a file it is not hardened, and will wind up like the one pictured. Or worse.
Thank you
I am sure your tct is a quality piece
All i Can say is the IP tct have a really strong spring and even fully retracted it put 2/3mm preload on the chain
Old 09-09-2014, 01:10 PM

Received 20 Likes on 15 Posts

Originally Posted by Billman250
My findings have show that chain guide depths vary greatly.
That makes sense, as all parts have tolerances and parts wear.
Without measuring it I know my chain guide will sit deeper as the head was decked.
I have also found that idle oil pressure varies as well, with the lowest idle pressure resulting in air in the TCT.
This is very interesting data.
I think its safe to assume you measured the oil pressure at the top of the TCT itself.
The end cover (that's how they call it in the service manual) is thick enough to hold 1/8" or 1/4" NPT to connect an oil line to a pressure gauge.
It's easy to compare it with the oil pressure taken at the idiot light sensor point or a filter sandwich plate.
To see low oil pressure, and even air, at that piont of the TCT supports the theory that oil flow into the TCT is very important.
IMO it also support the idea that the TCT itself is not really to blame for the failure as the block has to supply it with enough oil to do its job.
The oil path from pump to TCT is a complex one.
It flows through the VTEC valve "manifold" and goes through several small passages.
Then it has to flow around the TCT body to get into the TCT.
Especially that last bit is IMO the one that restricts it the most.

I designed it to find the optimal, quietest, and most important PROPER operating tension on the chain, without going past the maximum operating tension.
My TCT will never cross that line due to my OWN testing and years of research. Finding that line takes time, especially when engines vary so much.
Here I would like to "question" you a little, I think that's allowed....?
The main reason the TCT is oil pressure dependant is that oil pressure is the ideal spring, or better: force generator.
(As long as the pressure is steady)
Unlike a normal spring, where the force is in relation to the compression (within the working range of the spring, its less at the ends of it), IOW more compression = more force / less compression (deeper guide) = less force.
With the variances in guide depth a normal spring would vary the chain tension as the depth changes.
An oil pressure driven piston does not vary the chain tension with guide depth as long as the oil pressure is steady.
Do you think the oil pressure in "the average engine" can be high enough to create too much force on the guide?
Oil pressure will vary too, cold/warm, 30/40 weight, etc.
I would think a healthy engine, with the highest oil "OEM pressure" thinkable, will not exceed chain tension.
So if you get the oil flow into the TCT up to spec, the TCT works.
And I mean the OEM TCT.

To jkelley: only fools and fanatics are always and absolutely sure they are right.
Which one are you?

Old 09-09-2014, 06:19 PM

Received 14 Likes on 9 Posts

I'll post this for Alex since I know he's usually too busy to lurk the forums.. But he's a stand up guy and stands behind his products as well.. And goes out of his way to help every customer including myself who lived way in New Orleans.

From Alex @ Ballade Sports: "We've never had one failed unit in the last 4 years and we sell ours internationally. The pin they are speaking of is hardened steel in our unit."

Quick Reply: TCT REVIEW-Why I Choose and Support Billman's Product