S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Top end vs low end?

Old 02-18-2002, 01:31 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Top end vs low end?

I have couple questions about top and low end when comparing CAI like spoon/injen/aem. What would be the best way to compare CAI in performance aspect and what do some of you think is best CAI if paired up with single outlet exhauts. Also can anyone post what each one sounds like? or are they all just loud? thanks.
Old 02-18-2002, 10:02 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

In reality, the best way to measure them would be to put a robot in the car and have this perfect robot drive the 1/4 mile in both cars and see how they performed; in a real life situation. A dyno can only show you so much, and only in one gear. So, you're not going to have a "perfect" way to compare the intakes. Find one that seems to have a nice power gain across the whole RPM range, and one that you like the looks of, sound of, and go for it. Finding the "best" intake is not very realistic, unfortunately.

The general consensus seems to be that AEM's CAI is the best, or one of the best, and that a single exhaust provides more power gains (peak HP) than the dual exhausts.

When it comes to the S2000, the best and worst intake or exhaust only differs by 3-5 peak RWHP. So, you're not going to put together the perfect combination of parts that's going to make a huge difference over another combination. Some people throw in weight to their analyzation, but 5 pounds isn't enough for me to get excited about. You'll need a good 100 pounds to see a tenth of a second to dissapear off your 1/4 mile (based on SCC mag's tests on an ITR).
Old 02-18-2002, 10:35 AM

The best way to prove it is w/ a Dyno. Even that is not always subjective because the CAI makers sometimes do runs w/out a catback and whatnot, basically to give the better numbers.
I just wish the CAI people would be a little more smart about their products but money is always a factor w/ them and they have to sell something.

my ideal CAI (normally aspirated) would be to have the airbox and filter stay on the drivers side (don't know if there is room, though). Then, have the airbox (sealed) hooked up to an opening either in the hood or front fascia (viper gts models are set up this way). THus, the piping is shorter which makes it easier to maintain intake velocity. In addition, the filter and piping do not transverse the radiator and the radiant heat coming from the headers. But that would require alot of custom stuff and that's why those CAI makers just keep the original factory setup and just change the materials.

But if you use your head and do some research I'm sure you'll find the best product for the $

PS: In my opinion, metal is the worst possible material you can use for intake plumbing, especially if it is supposed to be cold air! Is it just me or do most people not know that metal conducts and transfers heat much readily than say plastic? I mean, we don't cook w/ plastic pots and pans do we?!?
Any aftermarket product maker who tries to sell you a metallic CAI (even if the plumbing is the only metal part) does not know what they are doing , or they are most likely ripping you off. So make sure you spend $$$ in the right place.
Old 02-19-2002, 10:50 AM

Don't most manufactorers use metal for their intake tubes? The only company that I can think of that uses plastic on all applications is Iceman. It does make sense to not use metal for an intake though. What about rubber? A lot of the intake piping in my MR2 is rubber.
Old 02-19-2002, 11:22 AM

yeah, anything is better than metal. plastic, rubber. hell, the blown foam (poly-ethylene) ones i've seen should be good. they put that stuff in coolers and whatnot. if the rubber is porous and not solid it should work pretty well. stock is fine. it's better than metal

yeah, that's why most manufacturers and the people that buy their stuff annoy me, just doesn't make sense and no one wants to use common sense yet they'll claim, 'yeah, my car is WAY faster now!' --usually just for looks anyway (or a brand name)

It would be more believable if everyone's butt-dynos were calibrated the same

Wouldn't be so bad if everyone wouldn't believe everyone else w/out proof.

I just can't believe that in a pretty techinical hobby like this (car stuff) there is so much stupidity being perpetuated. I just try to keep it in check a little (where I can anyway)