S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

The truth about 90w diff oil

Old 02-24-2004, 11:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Road Rage, I don't see 607 anywhere on their website.

???
Old 02-24-2004, 11:51 AM

Also, what's your take on their engine oil product?
Old 02-24-2004, 11:59 AM

[QUOTE]Originally posted by BrotherRex
Road Rage, I don't see 607 anywhere on their website.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:36 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

cdelena: Not sure what Mazda says will clear up all the questions this thread raises, esp since the Miata has less power than the S2K. And I have not studied the failure rates of the mazda gearsets enough to comment. While you are right about wear rate, there are many luibricant factors which also can lead to gear problems - here is a good analysis of some of them:
http://www.tribology.co.uk/services/invest...tigate/gear.htm

I had to order a case (24 quarts). The rep gave me 2 quarts for the analysis. A local guy has contacted me about acquiring a quart. LE has sales reps, so if you contact LE they will put you in touch, but if I were a rep, I would not deal with small quanitity sales.

I do not want to get in trouble with the Forum bosses, and have been told that any GB here involves a "fee" now. I am not opposed to it, but I am do not want this to cost me anything - in fees, packaging, shipping, and product cost. Locals or those willing to drive are welcome to PM me and set up something. I will speak to the local rep and see if he is set up to do small sales. If so, I will give the phone number AFTER I say it is OK to proceed.

dlq: The only followup to Honda's recommendation I have seen was one XViper posted, from Honda of Canada - it looked very "reactionary". The owner's manual could easily have been updated in the suceeding years, but has not been. Perhaps my investigation and research has shown why. Multi-vis 90w may be "acceptable" - but for us oil nuts, is it optimum. That is certainly up in the air. I found it very interesting that they use shot-peening - I recommended that as a more proven technique than the PolyDyn coating, which I analyzed previously.

I have not done the engine oil analysis for 8130 10w30 Monolec yet. But if the base stocks are as pure as the diff oils, and the Monolec is as good an engine additive as Almasol is a gear lubricant, then I think all bets and previous recommendations are off. These guys seem to be at the edge of lubrication, cost be damned, coveniencve be damned. I will speak to the rep about how many cases we would need to get to get a price break - I do believe they will drop ship so that removes a hassle. Again, I am willing to act as go-between for a nominal fee, but not at the expense of getting any Sponsors up in arms, or my losing money in the deal with "fees". It just is not worth the hassle to me.

On the other hand, I doubt any Sponsors are carrying any LE products at this point.

If someone wants to do the investigative parts of a GB, I am all ears. I have already done the legwork on the analysis of the product. Little help, gentlemen!!
Old 02-24-2004, 12:42 PM

Originally posted by Boston Duce
RR

What about the limited slip additive for regular dif lube? I added this to clutch-pac limited slips to reduce chatter in previous cars.

Does it have any benefit in our torsen type rears?

It is billed as a "friction modifier", how does it 'modify?

Thanks
Frank
1) It does not benefit Torsen systems - they operate on an entirely different principle.
2) It works in clutch pak systems like PosiTraction (GM) and TraktioLok (Ford). Normal gear oil is too lubricious, and as the oil is squeezed between the clutch plates, it can cause a slip-stick phenomenon, which leads to chattering, grabbing, etc. Like a bad clutch with hot spots. The Friction modifier acts to change the lubricity and encourage the packs to slip in a more uniform manner - the Ford FM is generally regarded as the best (as is their DOT3 brake fluid by the way).
Old 02-24-2004, 12:49 PM

I forgopt to mention an extremely important part of my analysis in the original post:

LE's proprietary EP additive, Almasol, has an additional benefit which no other gear oil in my experience has - its EP additive (other than the standard sulfur/zinc/phosphorous) is effective at ALL temperatures. ZDTP's have to be quite warm to begin to be effective, so the only real protection offered by the gear oil at lower temp's is its thickness and film strength. LE 607 will provide protection at any temperature it will flow, and has a 1-2 EP punch. I apologize for missing that - it really is a unique property deserving better treatment by me.

Repeat: LE's Almasol additive is unique in its ability to provide Extreme Pressure protection at any temp.
Old 02-24-2004, 01:07 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OFF TOPIC. A local Honda dealer service adviser in my area told me they use 10w30 engine oil in the differential on the S2k. And they want $130 just to replace the differential oil!!
Old 02-24-2004, 01:11 PM

RR -

Continued thanks for all your info on lubricants.... I often think I have enough info but then, when I least expect it, you provide more insights. Many thanks and gratitude.

Old 02-24-2004, 01:13 PM

we should have an oil forum....make RR the mod, and be done with it!!
Old 02-24-2004, 01:14 PM

Originally posted by topcat7111
OFF TOPIC. A local Honda dealer service adviser in my area told me they use 10w30 engine oil in the differential on the S2k. And they want $130 just to replace the differential oil!!
and we continue to wonder about diff failures....

Quick Reply: The truth about 90w diff oil