S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

URGENT, car wont start up

Old 07-31-2013, 06:28 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default URGENT, car wont start up

Urgent i need my car to work and it's 730pm here in California
moneys kind of tight and would appreciate any help to solve this problem before I have it towed to a shop

Car was running perfectly fine, no CEL or any problems as a daily driver other than minor bogging at low speeds and when the car is cold. It came and went. Since I bought the car used a few weeks ago I decided to do spark plugs and a compression test for fun and for my knowledge.

I read this guide on compression test and followed to a T. https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/434...ssion-testing/

Car was perfectly fine before I started tinkering with it and now it won't start so Occam's razor would dictate and something happened in between that is causing this issue. I'm not familiar with the s2000 all that much but being that it's a Honda it seems pretty straight forward and I dont understand what's wrong, it's driving me up the wall.

All I did was: remove cover, remove coil packs, remove spark plugs (all 4), remove fuel fuse (2nd one from bottom, left column). Put in the compression gauge and gave each cylinder two tests each by holding the gas pedal to the floor, starting for 8 cranks.
Put the new spark plugs in (they are NGK Iridium which are the same ones that came out of the car. The old ones were all white, no oil or stains otherwise) and I checked the gap at Oreillys when I bought them. They are all gapped at .040mm.
Put them in, torqued to 18.5 ft/lbs. Coil packs installed and plugged in, torqued to 9 ft/lbs. Put cover on. Put fuse back in.

Removed the IAC valve as suggested by the other DIY guide. Sprayed a lot of MAF sensor cleaner on the IAC and in the chamber. Cleaned with Q-tip. Seemed like everything dried out very fast, almost instantly. Pulled off the intake, sprayed liberally inside the throttle body all over.
Plugged everything back in. All hoses and plugs are intact.

Go over to driver's seat, put key to ON and wait 5 seconds. Crank for 5 seconds, nothing.

Problem: the car cranks over, I am getting full power and electronics work. It will crank and crank and crank, no spark. WHY???? WHYYYY???

I looked over everything and could not find anything wrong, every hose and plug is plugged in.
I removed the spark plugs and looked into the cylinder to see if it's flooded inside. It's not flood.
I switched out the coil packs with each other, no dice.
I also switched out the spark plugs with the old ones and still not starting. Checked the ignition fuse and it is not blown.

What could it possibly BE? I pulled the intake off just in case the cleaner is in the throttle body and to let it air out. I dont think that all 4 coil packs just decided to not work either.

Would appreciate input and if anyone is in orange county, CA I can buy you dinner to come help me out. I feel like it's something simple but i cant for the life of me figure this out.

on the plus side, compression was 240 all across the board except #3 which was 235. not bad for 148k miles
Old 07-31-2013, 08:59 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Is the fuel pump priming when you turn the car to accessory mode? If it isn't than I would replace the 15amp fuse that you pulled when doing compression test.
Old 07-31-2013, 09:38 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

yeah it was priming, checked all the fuses, nothing was blown out.

FIXED!

not 100% sure what the problem was but I have a good idea. I pulled the intake to let the throttle body breathe and dry out all the cleaner I sprayed in there. I also removed the spark plugs, covered the cylinders with a towel and cranked a few good times to make sure if it's flooded it just shoots that crap out. didn't seem like much of anything came out. Also pulled the ECU fuse for good minute. Put everything back together and it was kind of cranking and trying to start up. So I held on and it fired right now. Now it's running great. starts much quicker and car seems smoother.
I think either the ECU reset or the cranking without plugs helped to clear some crap out of the cylinders.
Old 08-01-2013, 06:06 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

good