S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Valve Cover gasket Spark plug hole Problem!

Old 08-22-2010, 08:43 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts
Default Valve Cover gasket Spark plug hole Problem!

I am having an issue getting this spark plug hole gaskets to work well. Is the spark gasket suppose to go around the spark plug tube? or just sit on top of it? I tore one of my gaskets, and when I replaced it the first time I guess I tore two when placing the cover back on. Oil was in the holes, not much but enough to make me unhappy.

DIY would be great.
Old 08-22-2010, 10:49 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

yeah i ripped several before i learned on how to do them. if they aren't seated right the spark plug tubes fill with oil and the only way to get it out is take a paper towel or small towel and try to soak it up. if you take the spark plugs out and the oil falls inside the cylinder you'll just burn it out the exhaust.
your supposed to set them in the hole with the valve cover upside down so as your looking under the valve cover. first you want to lube the outside of gasket with oil then push them into the hole of the valve cover. then what i did was take a rubber hammer or the rubber handle of a hammer and hammer them in softly. once they are seated they will be flush with the holes.
when putting the valve cover back on oil the inside of the gaskets and oil the spark plug tubes. then slowly put the cover on and align the gaskets over the tubes and they should slide nicely over the tubes.
take your time when doing it.
Old 08-22-2010, 11:17 AM

Received 3,387 Likes on 2,458 Posts

The gaskets have to sit perfectly straight on the top of the spark plug tubes when you first place the valvecover on, you will see that the valvecover is too high at first. At that point you need to manipulate each gasket with your finger to get them to go around the upper perimeter of each tube. The top of the tubes are very sharp so they will cut into the gasket if you try to tighten the valvecover without getting the gaskets around the tubes. Keep manipulating the gaskets around the metal tubes, once they all appear to be mounted around each tube them start working the valvecover downwards. If you don't get them around the tubes they tear during the tightening process as they can only stretch so much, so get them to roll over the edge before you stretch them too much. It's hard to explain without visuals but hopefully you get the point. The gaskets are designed to have a tight fitment so they seem to be slightly smaller than the sparkplug holes at first, so you have to stretch them outwards and roll them over the spark plug tubes to make them fit onto the tubes. Once they are on the outside surface of the metal tubes they slide downwards relatively easily from there, it's the initial part that is tricky to get them onto the tubes.
Old 08-22-2010, 01:29 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Thanks guys. I did put oil around each seal. I also used a rubber hammer, the problem was just getting them on the tubes. I was not sure if they sit on top, or go around. I was pretty sure they went around though, it wouldn't make much sense if they went on top. I will order 4 new ones tomorrow, I guess a little money spent is not so bad.
Old 08-23-2010, 07:33 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 38 Likes on 30 Posts

I used a large socket that fit the size of the seal and could bang the rubber seal down all the way. Was hard to get it to sit all the way on nice and tight.
That made it easy!
Old 08-24-2010, 05:04 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Make sure the lip is rolled to point up. When you pull the cover they stick and the lip unrolls itself and points down. Trying to reinstall it that way usually pinches them and they tear. Always put a little engine oil or silicone grease on them too to help them on.