S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Oil in spark plug

Old 03-19-2014, 01:17 PM

Received 25 Likes on 16 Posts
Default Oil in spark plug

I was changing out my spark plugs when I noticed a bunch of oil on top of the plug. Turns out one of the rubber seals on the back side of the valve cover is broke. It's the seal that is between the valve cover and the hole for the plug. It would be a lot easier if I could figure out how to upload a picture. But if any one gets what I'm talking about I would appreciate the help. Can I replace just that seal or do I need a whole new valve cover? Thanks
Old 03-19-2014, 01:21 PM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

its called "Tube Seals" Yes replace them along with the valve cover gasket.

Bada bing bada boom

Old 03-19-2014, 01:33 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

If you are going to open it up do all four, Honda sells a gasket kit for the entire valvecover too.
Old 03-19-2014, 01:41 PM
Community Organizer

Received 37 Likes on 35 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION
If you are going to open it up do all four, Honda sells a gasket kit for the entire valvecover too.
Best Way to go!
Old 03-19-2014, 01:59 PM

I just ordered all 4 of them. Thanks. The valve cover gasket is pretty much new, you think I should still replace it? And with them tube seals to they sit up on top of the tub or actually slide down around the tube? Thanks agaian fellows!
Old 03-19-2014, 02:21 PM

Received 3,373 Likes on 2,452 Posts

Originally Posted by mattk20
I just ordered all 4 of them. Thanks. The valve cover gasket is pretty much new, you think I should still replace it? And with them tube seals to they sit up on top of the tub or actually slide down around the tube? Thanks agaian fellows!
The valvecover gasket can be used over again if it is fairly new.

Be very careful installing the cover with the new seals, the tops of the tubes are very sharp and will cut the seals if you aren't careful (probably how the one seal was damaged ?). The valvecover gets tented up when you first put it over the tubes. You need to coax each seal over each tube with your finger so it doesn't cut the seal. A tiny drop of oil on them will help them slide over easier too.

Tip on removing the old seals (as they can be sticky): Flip the cover over and use a long flathead screwdriver and leverage it on one of the other tube seals like a teeter-totter, jam the tip into the nearest seal and pry it upwards. The screwdriver should be parallel with the length of the valvecover.
Old 03-19-2014, 04:50 PM

Thanks for all the help guys. I got all 4 out of there, now I have to wait until Friday for the new ones
Old 03-19-2014, 06:08 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They sit in the valve cover. Just be sure you get the actual seals you need, I had to order from Honda as all the other shops (autozone/NAPA/etc) gave me the wrong part. The real deal seals have a metal ring in them and are stiff, the other shops kept selling me seals for the coilpacks which are all rubber and squishy.
Old 03-19-2014, 07:34 PM

Received 1,562 Likes on 928 Posts

Great timing on this thread. Take a look at the stickies top of this "under the hood" forum. At the top of the list is a "Warning for 2006-2009 owners (DBW)+++"
I did a post of my valve adjust and I wound up wondering if I did a correct reinstall of the valve cover; specifically the tube seals. I asked Billman about that and this is his reply:

Originally Posted by Billman250
With the cover upside down on the work bench, the 4 tube seals should look like this \/ \/ \/ \/

When you pull the cover, some of them get stuck to the tube, and you will get this \/ \/ /\ /\

The last two have been pulled in the wrong direction. Just push them back down with your finger.

If you don't, you can cut the lip on the tube seal.

You can likely check yours just by pulling the coil packs and inspect them with a bright light. You can see the seal edge around the tube.

I've pulled over 1000 covers, and the chances of the seals inverting is 95%
I went back today to reinspect and also install new spark plugs. Well what do you know, 2 of the 4 had the seals rolled over on themselves. I was amazed oil had not seeped by. I pulled the cover and inspected the seals; they were not torn. (I have an 09) I pushed all the seals down to the proper position and watched closely as I reinstalled the cover. I can't believe I missed those things when I adjusted my valves.

That is probably what happened with yours and the seals tore/leaked. BTW I did not reinstall a new valve cover gasket. I have heard they last about 5 years and mine looked fine. I cleaned and oiled both surfaces before installation.

Lesson learned!
Old 03-20-2014, 04:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by JFUSION
Originally Posted by mattk20' timestamp='1395266350' post='23071127
The valvecover gasket can be used over again if it is fairly new.

Be very careful installing the cover with the new seals, the tops of the tubes are very sharp and will cut the seals if you aren't careful (probably how the one seal was damaged ?). The valvecover gets tented up when you first put it over the tubes. You need to coax each seal over each tube with your finger so it doesn't cut the seal. A tiny drop of oil on them will help them slide over easier too.

Tip on removing the old seals (as they can be sticky): Flip the cover over and use a long flathead screwdriver and leverage it on one of the other tube seals like a teeter-totter, jam the tip into the nearest seal and pry it upwards. The screwdriver should be parallel with the length of the valvecover.
This is excellent, excellent advice. A lot of people screw this up thinking they can just pop them in there.