S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Very odd cylinder bore discoloration I NEED YOUR INPUT PLEASE!

Old 06-15-2022, 08:42 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Very odd cylinder bore discoloration I NEED YOUR INPUT PLEASE!

So the short of the story is, i picked up this 2005 F22c engine and transmission (suppose to have 68K miles) from a guy who said it had been stored in the weather and not properly cover so the valves and head components had rusted.

I disassembled the engine to find the cylinder bores had this really odd discoloration at the bottom of one cylinder. I think it maybe from water sitting in there and reacting from the FRM liner ?

NOTE******* the discoloration cannot be felt by hand at all, it seems to be 100% visual. If i close my eyes and felt each bore i could not tell any difference in texture or roundness ************

Also as you can see there are some scratches but only one barely catches my fingernail and none of them go all the way down the wall.

Can anybody give me any input on the condition of this block and if its good to go for a daily driver ? Im lost on the discoloration but the scratches dont seem to bad to me.

Your input is greatly appreciated!

Cylinder #1 side 1

Cylinder #1 side 2

Cylinder #2 side 1 discolored

Cylinder #2 side 2 discolored

Cylinder #3 side 1

Cylinder #3 side 2

Cylinder #4 side 1

Cylinder #4 side 2

Last edited by noahw526; 06-15-2022 at 09:32 AM. Reason: Adding information
Old 06-15-2022, 09:53 AM
Community Organizer

Received 552 Likes on 504 Posts

Not sure about anyone else, but I'm not encouraged looking at these bores. The scoring is really what bugs me. Also looks like someone took a flat head screw driver or something at one point and tried scraping the tops of the pistons. Which is an indication someone was concerned with the carbon build up and tried cleaning things up. When was this done id be curious. Maybe a bunch of the carbon crap and shavings found their way down the bores when running the car scratching them up. Id like to know the history of this motor. if it was pulled apart before for say an HG job and put back together and run ect. For a motor with only 68k miles id say its been abused and id avoid it myself.
Old 06-15-2022, 10:17 AM

Thanks for the reply!

So from what ive seen taking it apart i saw no indication of the head ever being taken off. Looked like the original Honda bond in places but then again i could very well be wrong.

The marks are from when i was doing some quick cleaning before the pictures. I used a modified plastic puddy knife so the scratches you are seeing aren't deep enough to really be scratches, more like marks from the carbon being scraped away showing the metal on the top of the piston. I was just trying to get it cleaned up so i could get a good visual of things.

So have you or anyone else seen a block with these conditions ( the scratches and discoloration) and know of it being usable ?

Old 06-15-2022, 10:59 AM

Received 1,227 Likes on 948 Posts

I am seriously concerned for those scratches on the bores, especially if your nail hangs on them a bit. The FRM lining is very thin and not much machining can be done to remedy it. Of course, hard to diagnose over the internet. May be ok, but hard to say.
Old 06-15-2022, 11:26 AM
Community Organizer

Received 552 Likes on 504 Posts

Originally Posted by noahw526
Thanks for the reply!

So from what ive seen taking it apart i saw no indication of the head ever being taken off. Looked like the original Honda bond in places but then again i could very well be wrong.

The marks are from when i was doing some quick cleaning before the pictures. I used a modified plastic puddy knife so the scratches you are seeing aren't deep enough to really be scratches, more like marks from the carbon being scraped away showing the metal on the top of the piston. I was just trying to get it cleaned up so i could get a good visual of things.

So have you or anyone else seen a block with these conditions ( the scratches and discoloration) and know of it being usable ?
Gotcha. Well aside from the numerous shallow scratches/scoring marks which give me some concern, some parts of the the bores almost look like the liner has worn through but I cant say that for sure, but it raises my suspicion. I have not seen that particular looking condition before, just the scoring marks, which are typical of an issue light or not. The bores should be free of scratches and basically polished looking at 68k. I am not confident in this motor not being a total oil hog at the very least and worst terrible compression and uses a lot of oil. If you can put the head back on and cycle it on an engine stand for a compression and lookdown test, that might be worth the trouble to do before you invest in installing it in the car.

Last edited by s2000Junky; 06-15-2022 at 11:32 AM.
Old 06-15-2022, 12:13 PM

Originally Posted by s2000Junky
Gotcha. Well aside from the numerous shallow scratches/scoring marks which give me some concern, some parts of the the bores almost look like the liner has worn through but I cant say that for sure, but it raises my suspicion. I have not seen that particular looking condition before, just the scoring marks, which are typical of an issue light or not. The bores should be free of scratches and basically polished looking at 68k. I am not confident in this motor not being a total oil hog at the very least and worst terrible compression and uses a lot of oil. If you can put the head back on and cycle it on an engine stand for a compression and lookdown test, that might be worth the trouble to do before you invest in installing it in the car.

I agree they should look better if the engine was really a low mileage engine that has been cared for.

There is only 1 scratch that is deep enough to worry me because it barely catches my fingernail. It takes me 6-7 times running over it to get it to catch though. So that really the reason i wanted others opinion.

I do plan to put the head back on once its ready and perform a leak down test to see what it tells me before i actually put it in the car.
Old 06-15-2022, 04:11 PM

Received 364 Likes on 338 Posts

Maybe would clean up with some oil down the bores,engine upside down and turn engine over by hand many times,what you got to loose.