S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Very Strange Speedometer Malfunction (Very long)

Old 03-31-2007, 10:06 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile Very Strange Speedometer Malfunction (Very long)

It's been a very long time since I have made a post here years ago as a guest. I have owned my 06 Laguna Blue for about a year of trouble free driving until three night ago and I wondered if anyone had any comments or suggestions.

I had just filled up with gas and reset the trip meter. I pulled out onto a main street at roughly the speed limit of 35. A few minutes later I noticed a police car behind me so I checked my speed. The speedo indicated I was going 60 MPH!!! I immediately let off the throttle and noticed everyone was passing me and it felt kinda slow. The cop went on his marry way probably windering why I was going around 20 or so MPH.

At the next light I made a right after stopping and noticed I was going 47 in FIRST GEAR at 3200 RPM! Once I was going roughly 40 the speedo indicated I was going 75 MPH+. Needless to say I was alarmed at the inacurracy of my readings, but thought it was just a glitch on the speedo reading.

Unfortunately I was unable to stop anywhere safely on the way home to turn the car off and try to "reboot" everything. Once I got home I did this in front of my house.

I turned the car off, turned it back on and noticed the trip metter said I had gone 455 miles since my last reset! I pushed reset and it changed to roughly 250 miles and then i pressed reset again to get to "0". At the same time I also noticed that my odometer was reading roughy 400 miles higher than I thought it should. All in all my 3-4 mile drive from the station added roughly 450+ miles to my car!

So it appears as if this problem not only screwed up the trip meter, but my permanent odometer reading too. My local dealer says there is nothing they can do to change an ODO reading, which is somewhat understandable, but I am getting ripped off on total mileage here. What if I wouldn't have noticed this and driven to my office roughly 20 miles away? I could easily have put a 1000 miles or more on the car!!

I have driven roughly 150 miles since this oddity occured with no trouble.

Any hints suggestions or comments?

Thanks,

StuE.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:10 AM

I'm going to go out on a limb and don't think I think you are dumb, but are you sure you didn't accidently trip the KMPH setting on the cluster? You can push down one button on the dash that will switch it from MPH to KMPH.

Thats about the only suggestion I have. Other than that, you should still be under warranty and the dealership can look at it.
Old 03-31-2007, 10:16 AM

Deaf Pimp,

I can be dumb sometimes, but two things I meant to put into the post.

1) I saw the trip meter reset to zero and heard it beep at the station.

2) Even if I had pushed that button by mistake, I did not travel 455 Kilometers to get home from the station.

3) Once I reset the meter to zero again I never pushed the KMH/MPH button and it's been working fine ever since.

Thanks,

StuE.

P.S. Also, the dealer really said there's nothing to do at this point but let them know if it happens again and I gurantee I am not driving to their shop when the speedo is in this mode I may go 700-800 miles to get there!

Old 03-31-2007, 11:18 AM

First time you hit trip, you changed it to KM without actually resetting it. Thats why it said 455 KM. Second time you hit it it changed back to miles which is why it changed to 250. Third time you hit it it actually reset, which is why it went to zero.

As for you odo showing more than you think it should, that could be your imagination.
Old 04-01-2007, 04:47 AM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by ltswb,Mar 31 2007, 11:18 AM
First time you hit trip, you changed it to KM without actually resetting it. Thats why it said 455 KM. Second time you hit it it changed back to miles which is why it changed to 250. Third time you hit it it actually reset, which is why it went to zero.

As for you odo showing more than you think it should, that could be your imagination.
Yup, what he said:

60 kph = 37.2822715 mph
455 kilometers = 282.723892 miles