S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Vibration issues.

Old 04-08-2014, 10:12 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Vibration issues.

My car developed a vibration, wobble or whatever you want to call it coming from the driver's rear for a while now. The vibration was feint at first and has now become increasingly worse. I swapped the cv buckets just to make sure, but alas they weren't pitted and looked awesome. I have had my tires balanced and re-balanced. I've replaced my rear tires. I've had the car aligned. All with no success. I've heard multiple people tell me I had a bad axle which I checked the play in them and it didn't seem too terribly bad. I've also checked my diff mounts, ball joints, and even checked for cracking at the control arm mounts. I've checked for play in the wheel bearings and there isn't play in the wheels at all. I've also swapped my RPF1's front to back multiple times to check and see if it was a balance/bent rim issue. The vibration can be felt at ALL speeds. Even when slowing down for a red light or stop sign. I can even feel it when I back out of parking spots. I'm at wits end, and would like to keep it out of the dealership, as I don't like other men laying their hands on my baby. Any ideas?

Thanks,

Skyler
Old 04-08-2014, 04:57 PM

Sounds like its probably from your driver side axle. If the vibration isn't as noticeable from the passenger side then you should be able to rule out a differential or drive shaft problem. But if it is as noticeable from the passenger side as the driver side, then it is possible that it's diff/drive shaft related.

First, I would make sure your axle nuts are properly tightened. Most s2k's axle nuts were not properly tightened from the factory, so if yours have never been re-torqued, then that's likely the issue. Here is a write up. It's pretty straightforward. https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/929...e-nut-tsb-diy/
Old 04-08-2014, 05:02 PM

You feel this vibration in the floor, seat, pedal, steering wheel or everything?

On the gas and off the gas?

Any noise with this vibration?

Is it a hopping at low speeds? Buzz at high speeds?
Old 04-10-2014, 08:48 AM

I feel the vibration in my seat the most. It's not as noticeable in the passenger side, but as a said before it's gotten worse over time. It happens on and off the gas. No noise that I can hear with the vibration. The wheel feels like it's wobbly at low speeds, if that helps. I've already re-tightened my axle nuts as well.
Old 04-11-2014, 02:57 PM

Does the wheel turn freely when it's in the air (any brake drag)? Are the inside and outside pads wearing evenly?

It could be wheel runout, dented, or something with the hub center bore on the wheel
Old 04-18-2015, 09:31 AM

I've since put new shock tubes in my Megan coilovers and the vibration is a lot better, but still there. The old shocks were VERY blown. I have re-torqued the axle nuts as I had the click a few years ago. I've also checked the play in the axles and they seem to be within spec, although I'm not entirely sure on that as I've never played with other s2000 axles. I've checked my bushings and ball joints and they look okay and don't have any tears on the rubber or give any excess play. I'm really not sure what to think of next. Any thoughts would be super helpful!

Thanks guys,

Sky
Old 04-18-2015, 03:07 PM

Dose it happen between 40 to 50 mph?
Old 04-20-2015, 10:06 AM

All speeds and RPM's. It's definitely not as bad at low speeds but it's infuriatingly there. I'm going to do a brake job soon with new rotors and pads just to get them done, and I'll probably toss some new transmission mounts in it as well since they're really cheap.