S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Water leak in door panel

Old 05-17-2011, 04:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Water leak in door panel

So I recently noticed a decent amount of water in my speaker grill of my passenger door during a rainy day. Water must have been leaking into the door panel somewhere. So after work I decided to attempt to find the leak. I ended up taking the door panel off, shut the door, and had my girlfriend spray water all around the window while I looked for leaks from the passenger seat.

I found that when she sprayed water around the triangular piece at the front bottom of the window, water was somehow leaking down and onto the interior side of the window, down the door panel(behind the plastic), and onto my JL Audio speaker(which ruined the speaker). But I can't necessarily track the exact cause of the leak, just it's general location. And I'd like to replace my speaker, but not until the leak is fixed.

Note: The triangular piece is the top part of a seal the runs the edge of the window along it's track.

Has anyone experienced this issue? My car is a MY04. If there is a fix for this, I'd take that route rather than dishing the cash to have the Honda shop fix it.

Thanks for any info or advice in advance!!!
Old 05-18-2011, 01:40 PM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

Might want to post this in electronics, it's not exactly "under the hood".
Old 06-22-2011, 05:24 PM

Originally Posted by Saki GT
Might want to post this in electronics, it's not exactly "under the hood".
This isn't an electronics issue. This is an issue with the mechanical aspects of the door and how it keeps water from entering the car during a rainy day. My audio speaker was ruined by this mechanical issue.

I've since found the cause of the problem. The door seal has a metal bracket in it and uses two black clips where it attaches at the top left of the door panel(looking at the door panel side). This bracket can deform and allow water to get between it and the door, normally ending up inside the door and on the inner side of the window. When this happens, it can potentially collect in the protective plastic or run down onto electronics(speakers, connecters, etc.) Replace the door seals or use a waterproof caulk to fill in the gaps under the bracket. No more water leaks.
Old 07-10-2011, 08:28 AM

You don't happen to have pictures of this issue do you? I am having the same problem
Old 07-11-2011, 01:06 PM

I do not have any pictures of the seal and my camera is dead. I'll post a pic tomorrow.

If you are having the same issue, it's most likely your door seal. It's the black rubber strip that runs around the outside of the door panel on the door itself. The issue is isolated to where the seal meets the top of the door around the mirror garnish(interior side). You'll see that it has two small black clips holding this end of the seal on. Basically, this end piece is deformed/not seating properly and allowing water behind it and into the door panel. You must either replace the entire door seal or use a type of waterproof caulk between this piece and the door where it connects.

Obviously, the caulk is a cheap solution compared to new seals. And check both doors. If one is going bad, the other could be too. I found out both mine were when I became curious about the other door.

Good Luck!!
Old 07-11-2011, 02:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

this last rainy season i had a TON of water inside the seals.. when accel the water would rush to the back and get my shoulders wet, on brake it would get my carpet wet

turns out my seals were starting to dry out... applied liberally some shin etsu grease and bam problem solved over night

the seals soaked up the grease and no leaks since

try that