S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

what is the best transmission fluid for a s2k

Old 03-26-2004, 05:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 16 Likes on 14 Posts

Originally posted by Road Rage
But it is illogical to believe that any Japanese mfr would have such variable QC that what works in one tranny is poison to another.
I totally disagree. Our transmission seems to vary greatly in QC (stacked tolerances). After reading hundreds of threads about 2nd gear grinds, knotchiness, 4th gear grinds, etc., I believe that different trannies tend to work best with different oils depending on their particular set of normal behaviors. Honda MTF was poison in my tranny, causing constant 2nd gear grinds.
Old 03-26-2004, 09:19 AM

Received 52 Likes on 49 Posts

don't worry guys...road rage will have the answer soon...
Old 03-26-2004, 02:57 PM
Administrator

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

[QUOTE]Originally posted by HardtuTame
Old 03-26-2004, 03:31 PM

Originally posted by jyeung528
don't worry guys...road rage will have the answer soon...
Old 03-26-2004, 05:03 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Well, I appreciate the vote of confidence, but whether Gernby or I am right, this car does seem temperamental about its gear oils - I (we) may never find the Holy Grail.

Gernby: You may be right, but that would be a first in my experience. I have seen the same year of BMW's where the trannies did better with one lube over another, but they were always slightly different trannies or models by the same mfr: Getrag, ZF, etc. Red Line MTL or MT-90 would work well in one, but be poison to another. All my Hondas/Acuras have shifted the same - great!

So if Gernby is right, there are mechanical differences in construction/assembly that make it a crap shoot to pick a fluid. If you get good results, stick with it.

Or, perhaps the stiffening of the tranny case has something to do with it - different loads + mfg variances may cause the input or output shafts to load up (torque up) because of case flex, and the exact nature of the problem might vary a great deal - even the alignment of the universals would play in this space.

So perhaps the MY04's will be less temperamental - we really cannot say because there are not enough miles on the 2004 cars to make any reasonable inferences.

Either way - mfg variances, case flex, etc. this is one area where I have no "here is the hot setup" recommendation. Go with the Force - if it feels good, do it!
Old 03-26-2004, 05:07 PM

I use DOT 3 transmission fluid.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:31 AM
Former Sponsor

[QUOTE]Originally posted by Road Rage
Gernby: You may be right, but that would be a first in my experience. I have seen the same year of BMW's where the trannies did better with one lube over another, but they were always slightly different trannies or models by the same mfr: Getrag, ZF, etc. Red Line MTL or MT-90 would work well in one, but be poison to another. All my Hondas/Acuras have shifted the same - great!
Old 03-27-2004, 06:46 AM

I am one of the lucky ones with only some notchiness from 1st to 2nd when cold. But I try to keep up with all the lubrication threads looking for the holy grail that Road Rage mentioned. Anyway, I can't remember ever reading where anybody was dissappointed with the GM Friction Modified. Seems like for all the other fluids there were problems for somebody, whether it was cold or hot climates, or quick degradation, or whatever. I will probably try the GM FM next unless I hear a lot of complaints with it.
Old 03-27-2004, 06:54 AM
Former Sponsor

BTW, if you do a search for "rat piss", you can find more info about other oils I've tried.
Old 03-27-2004, 10:24 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally posted by gernby
BTW, if you do a search for "rat piss", you can find more info about other oils I've tried.

Haven't you kiddies learned anything? - boar mucous* is the magic elixir I often refer to. Sheesh!

I am off to a warm bath and finding a large vein to open. My life has been a failure. Good Bye, cruel world! RR.

*To set the record straight, i learned the BM reference from one Peter Aczel, editor and publisher of The Audio Critic, which I write for. Peter was once taken to task by a woofer mfr who complained that his woofer cone was made out of titanium or some other exotic material, and that guaranteed a better product (it does not by the way). Peter, as is his style, wrote an acerbic response, mentioning that "a woofer could be made out of boar mucous" and still be successful if certain criteria were met. Classic.

I'll have to use Rat Pizz and give props to gernby some day.

Quick Reply: what is the best transmission fluid for a s2k