S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

What are the bolt specs for the F20C on an engine stand?

Old 05-01-2013, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What are the bolt specs for the F20C on an engine stand?

I googled / searched S2KI and all of the threads are inconclusive. It baffles me that there is not already a step-by-step on this. My engine is sitting in the hoist right now and I am trying to locate the appropriate bolts for the engine stand. I read that they are 10 x 1.25mm and 12 x 1.25mm at 10.9 grade. However, the bolts that connected to the tranny to the engine were 14 x 1.25mm and 17 x 1.25mm. Is there a reason why people would suggest 10 & 12 over 14 and 17 mm? Also, to compensate for putting it on the engine stand should it be 3 90mm and 1 110 mm length bolts?

Thanks
Old 05-02-2013, 08:33 AM

*BUMP*

Somebody should have done this before!
Old 05-02-2013, 11:20 AM
Community Organizer

Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

i also just use the same bolts that are for the trans, 2 17mm on each side like a sideways X
Old 05-02-2013, 12:19 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

It is funny, the way this thread talks about bolts. There are NO M17 bolts on the car at all. There are M5-M14 with the M14 being subframe bolts. The size of the head of the bolt (with size of socket needed) is NOT the size of the bolt. This is why people say that to mount the motor on a stand you need M10 x 1.25 and M12 x 1.25. How long do they need to be? Depends on your stand. Mine I needed longer bolts then my buddy's shop stand (jsenclosures stand has short arms then both of ours if he could use the OEM Tranny bolts.) A good 20mm longer. so while we can tell you the size (M10, M12) and the thread pitch (1.25) we can not tell you the length. If you can build a motor, you can measure a bolt. That is why you don't find it posted all over. Those that needed to mount a motor knew how to figure it out.
The following users liked this post:
MarvLucS2Ky (05-30-2020)
Old 05-02-2013, 12:29 PM
Community Organizer

Received 125 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Stratocaster
If you can build a motor, you can measure a bolt. That is why you don't find it posted all over. Those that needed to mount a motor knew how to figure it out.
lol QFT
Old 05-02-2013, 12:55 PM

It is funny, the way this thread talks about bolts. There are NO M17 bolts on the car at all. There are M5-M14 with the M14 being subframe bolts. The size of the head of the bolt (with size of socket needed) is NOT the size of the bolt. This is why people say that to mount the motor on a stand you need M10 x 1.25 and M12 x 1.25. How long do they need to be? Depends on your stand. Mine I needed longer bolts then my buddy's shop stand (jsenclosures stand has short arms then both of ours if he could use the OEM Tranny bolts.) A good 20mm longer. so while we can tell you the size (M10, M12) and the thread pitch (1.25) we can not tell you the length. If you can build a motor, you can measure a bolt. That is why you don't find it posted all over. Those that needed to mount a motor knew how to figure it out.
I wasn't talking about the "M14/M17" being a size of the actual bolt. The dimensions are 1.25mm with a length of 70mm (pretty sure on the length) for them. Also, I know that the "M" size is arbitrary for it, but I was just curious because I received conflicting information from other websites. Furthermore, I also am fairly positive that it is 90mm for each of them, but I also read that one should be 110mm with a hex nut. Lastly, generic engine stands generally only require 20mm extra length on them (from reading product specs) so you are definitely correct.

I don't know the proper jargon for describing bolts, etc. because I am a Computer Engineer. This is my hobby so I am still learning. I appreciate that you responded and clarified a few issues for me. I tend to worry too much so even if I am fairly positive about something I always need somebody else to give me his/her input. These days I am extremely busy with work/research so my thoughts are always jumbled and perhaps I don't convey them properly when I type them out.

Thank you very much again.
Old 05-02-2013, 01:03 PM

Received 31 Likes on 26 Posts

I just reused the tranny bolts when I did mine. I then ordered new bolts for the tranny (because the extra motor stayed on the stand for a while).
Old 05-03-2013, 09:24 PM

Received 19 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by Norccer
I wasn't talking about the "M14/M17" being a size of the actual bolt. The dimensions are 1.25mm with a length of 70mm (pretty sure on the length) for them. Also, I know that the "M" size is arbitrary for it, but I was just curious because I received conflicting information from other websites. Furthermore, I also am fairly positive that it is 90mm for each of them, but I also read that one should be 110mm with a hex nut. Lastly, generic engine stands generally only require 20mm extra length on them (from reading product specs) so you are definitely correct.

I don't know the proper jargon for describing bolts, etc. because I am a Computer Engineer. This is my hobby so I am still learning. I appreciate that you responded and clarified a few issues for me. I tend to worry too much so even if I am fairly positive about something I always need somebody else to give me his/her input. These days I am extremely busy with work/research so my thoughts are always jumbled and perhaps I don't convey them properly when I type them out.

First what you were talking about was unclear, and when someone replied with the same 17mm bolt comment, I knew what was meant by it. But when this thread is searched up in the future, to be valuable and to answer the same question you are looking for, I wanted to set the thread straight.

1.25 is the thread pitch, not the dimension. It means how many threads per millimeter 1 and 1//4 thread per millimeter.

The generic engine stands comment is just that, generic. How do you know if yours is the same as others. You can't make a blanket statement that all generic engine stands only need 20mm extra length.

How to figure out the length of the bolt you need.
  1. Measure the OEM bolt diameter, it should be 10mm or 12mm.
  2. Measure the thread pitch using a metric thread gauge. The S2000 is 1.25 for these bolts
  3. Place the bolt in the transmission and measure the amount of bolt the protruded. This is the amount of thread you need in addition to your stands arms.
  4. Measure the your stands arms. Add this to the above. this is the length of the bolt you will need
  5. Search for a "Metric Socket Head Cap Screw" M12 x 1.25 x Number you calculated in the above steps

Lastly, I to work with computers for a living and this is also my hobby. Not only am I busy these days, I travel in my job, run an online business and field questions on the internet
Old 05-04-2013, 04:56 PM

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Norccer' timestamp='1367528139' post='22515578

1.25 is the thread pitch, not the dimension. It means how many threads per millimeter 1 and 1//4 thread per millimeter.
Thread pitch is not the number of threads per unit distance. M10x1.25 bolts have 0.8 threads per millimeter.

Thread pitch is the distance between threads.

Standard fasteners (not metic) use threads per inch (e.g. 1/4-20).

Thread pitch is a dimension, as shown in the drawing below. The OP's statement "The dimensions are 1.25mm with a length of 70mm (pretty sure on the length) for them." is really strange and vague though.
Old 08-01-2018, 01:08 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

To resurrect this thread since my friend and I did the engine stand mounting this weekend and have conclusive answers:

We used:
3x 90mm 12x1.25 bolts w/ 4 washers each
1x 5inch 1/2 inch bolt w/ nut

There were only 3 threaded holes for us to access on the top side of the transmission tunnel that were M12, so we used those three. Along the right side of the tunnel (with us facing the tunnel), there's an unthreaded through-hole. That's what we used the 5 inch 1/2 bolt w/ nut for.
The following 2 users liked this post by limenuke:
ericmdub92 (02-26-2020), short round (12-24-2019)