S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

What's Better- ramps or Jack stands?

Old 08-21-2012, 02:16 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What's Better- ramps or Jack stands?

Just getting into doing my own fluid replcements. I bought a floor jack , wheel chocks, and 2 jack stands (will buy 2 more this weekend), but am thinking ramps may be safer and easier.

Suggestions appreciated.

-m
Old 08-21-2012, 02:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

stands are better because the car will be leveled, and it's safer.

Ramps are easier to use but hard to use with s2k because it's RWD... it'll just push the ramps back unless you have non-slip surface under the ramp.
Old 08-21-2012, 02:57 PM

Received 3,388 Likes on 2,459 Posts

yeah you want the car level for a few things like diff and tranny fluid changes. Always use four jackstands for safety, and put the wheels under the body rails for extra protection, it is a bit more work that way but you can't be too safe. Don't work under the car with only two stands front or rear, sadly we've lost some members that way.
Old 08-21-2012, 03:34 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I use Takata Low Down Slope ramps for lowered vehicles combined with a 2x6 under the rears to level it out a bit. I don't jack the car for oil changes. Everything is easily accessible from up top with a CAI.

For tranny and diff I jack up all corners and keep the same level as on the ground. The electronic level I use for wing adjustments is also magnetic so it sticks to the bottom of the car. (its a Husky mini level from Home Depot)
Old 08-21-2012, 04:04 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

There's nothing wrong with ramps. They're mega convenient for some things. Personally, though, I only get under my car on flat ground, 4 jack stands and my wheels under the frame rails.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:13 PM

Received 197 Likes on 137 Posts

I have a low profile jack, two jack stands, and a set of "ramps" I nailed together from a 2x6 board I cut into 2 and 3 foot sections that gives me 4" of clearance.

For oil changes, transmission changes, and brakes, I typically use one jack stand, or two if I have a whole side of the car off the ground. I also put the ramps under the wheel I'm closest to as an extra precaution (4 or 8 inches) once the car is jacked up. For the diff, I use the 2x6 ramps for the rear wheels, or none at all, no jack needed as I can slide under the car and work in the space available.

I don't think you need more than two jack stands, but always have your wheels chocked - the emergency brake and gears only hold the rear wheels and I've seen people lift the rear of a rwd car and have it roll off a jack because they didn't think to prevent rolling. I never jack the car at either end because of this - sides only. If you want to get the whole car off the ground, ramps are smart for getting the front up, but I need low-profile ramps.

It doesn't help that I have around 3" clearance and 3" extended lip on the front of the car - its pretty low.
Old 08-21-2012, 07:31 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

it's sort of inconvenient to remove wheels for brake work, etc. on ramps. It's no problem at all with jack stands.

It's also not straightforward to put all 4 wheels up in the air on ramps.

But ramps do meet many people's needs, so I'm not knocking the product. It's just not for me.
Old 08-21-2012, 08:31 PM

Received 29 Likes on 26 Posts

jack each side up and set it on 4 ramps
Old 08-21-2012, 09:01 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by JFUSION' timestamp='[url="tel:1345589869"
1345589869[/url]' post='21954496]
yeah you want the car level for a few things like diff and tranny fluid changes. Always use four jackstands for safety, and put the wheels under the body rails for extra protection, it is a bit more work that way but you can't be too safe. Don't work under the car with only two stands front or rear, sadly we've lost some members that way.
I prefer working with 4 jack stands as well. Keeps it level, and makes for doing inspections easier.When you put the wheels under the frame, do you stack them?
Old 08-21-2012, 09:24 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Anything under the car but engine oil change, I drive the front onto ramps and set the back on jackstands. The car is level and more difficult to knock over than using four jackstands.

Quick Reply: What's Better- ramps or Jack stands?