S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Yet another post on: How do I disable the auto door lock feature?

Old 03-21-2020, 05:07 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Unhappy Yet another post on: How do I disable the auto door lock feature?

First off, yes, I have searched and read a dozen threads on this complaint. If there is a solid solution, I cannot find it in the dozens of post I've read through. I wasn't sure whether to resurrect a 14 year old thread or start a new one.

https://www.s2ki.com/forums/s2000-un...eature-405598/

For a variety of reasons, I can not have my 'new to me' 09 s2k automatically locking my doors in varied situations. I really do not want to debate these situations or why this feature is 'there for my safety' that every post on this subject degrades to.
This seems to be a common complaint, but after a dozen post and probably 100 or so replies, I cannot find a solid solution.

There is a setting on the OEM alarm that some think turns this feature off. But I don't have an OEM alarm. So, before I spend $150 on a kit (08E51-S84-100 I guess), can anyone confirm this?
Are there other solutions? Chipped ECU, snipping a wire somewhere, etc.?

My wife has an 09 Smart (we use as an a/c'd golf cart basically). We where able to turn off the autolock in it by simply pressing down the lock button on the remote and the lock button in the 'car' for two seconds. All the tech post from Honda about how to turn this feature off seem to be geared towards newer models (2018-19).

Old 03-21-2020, 09:23 AM

Received 1,319 Likes on 997 Posts

When you say autolock it makes me think of cars that lock the doors while the car is moving. As if the car thinks you are driving into a bad neighborhood or something. Some do it as soon as car moves. Some only when it hits some mph threshold.

I hate this feature and always disable it immediately if its present on any car I drive.

I was not aware any iteration of S2000 had such a feature.

The only autolocking feature I am aware of is if you unlock the car, but don't open any doors, it will autolock the doors again after like 60 seconds or so. There is no way to disable this feature.

Pleae clarify what you mean by autolock.
Old 03-21-2020, 10:28 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I've been working on a modification to the keyless entry system that gives some useful features:
- Both doors lock and unlock at the same time
- Now the second "unlock" press operates a hidden garage door opener (useful for if car is parked in a detached garage, just walk out and double press unlock and your door opens)
- Dedicated separate button under the dash to activate garage door opener/unlock both doors (currently no actual button to press in the car to unlock both doors like current models)
- Can use keyless remote when car is on/running or key is in Ignition. (Useful to pop trunk or unlock doors when car is running.. if you lock your center console it's very useful)

I was unaware that (maybe) newer models have an auto-lock on vehicle speed? Maybe I'll look into this further for my module. Please explain more of what is happening.

Everything is working now, and I am working on a write-up on how DIY. Would anyone be interested?
Old 03-22-2020, 06:44 AM

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by mrlegoman
But I don't have an OEM alarm.
Do you have any alarm at all? My Viper alarms will auto lock. If you don't have any aftermarket key fobs and arent the first owner, maybe look up under the dash for any alarm brains which don't belong.

There is one OEM auto lock I know you can't turn off, the doors automatically re-lock if they were locked, then unlocked with the fob, but a door wasn't opened for 30 seconds.
If you have a bad door sensor it might not be detecting a door being opened to prevent the re-lock. Make sure the little "door open" icon appears on your cluster when either door is open.
Old 03-22-2020, 06:47 AM

Received 76 Likes on 68 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KEEDIY
I've been working on a modification to the keyless entry system that gives some useful features:
- Both doors lock and unlock at the same time
- Now the second "unlock" press operates a hidden garage door opener (useful for if car is parked in a detached garage, just walk out and double press unlock and your door opens)
- Dedicated separate button under the dash to activate garage door opener/unlock both doors (currently no actual button to press in the car to unlock both doors like current models)
- Can use keyless remote when car is on/running or key is in Ignition. (Useful to pop trunk or unlock doors when car is running.. if you lock your center console it's very useful)

I was unaware that (maybe) newer models have an auto-lock on vehicle speed? Maybe I'll look into this further for my module. Please explain more of what is happening.

Everything is working now, and I am working on a write-up on how DIY. Would anyone be interested?
I'm very interested! Do it.

Old 03-22-2020, 10:36 AM

Received 107 Likes on 102 Posts

BTW: There's a diy/hack/mod that ables you to use the remote still, while car is still running (eg: car running, and you can still unlock passenger door with remote, without needing to turn off the car).

Just disconnect 1 simple wire iirc. I did it a few years ago. Search it. Super good mod (for picking people up or dropping them off)
Old 03-23-2020, 06:57 AM

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Only Autolock on the S2000 I'm aware of was referenced in Post #2. Car locks if unlock is pressed and no door opened in 30 seconds. This means you can lock the car with either the Lock or Unlock button, just takes 30 seconds longer if you use Unlock. This also means you will butt-lock the car with the keys in your pocket if either button gets accidentally pressed.

Getting into a locked car to pick up someone without pressing the unlock button twice has left the passenger door locked. Is this what's happening? Same if driving alone and parking in my garage -- passenger door is still locked when I put her in the garage. The S2000 is very minimalist in some respects. Both doors can be locked from inside the car (using the drivers side lock lever), I'm unaware of any way to unlock the doors from inside the car other than the manual, mechanical door handles on each door. Since the trunk has an interior, electric unlock button I suspect it's possible to make such a switch for the doors.

My wife and daughter insist on locking all the doors when driving but this has to be done manually on this car, no Autolock like my Expeditions (and I assume their Subarus). I disabled this on my current Expedition until my wife found out!

-- Chuck
Old 03-23-2020, 04:08 PM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I agree. I really hate it when the passenger door locks just as I'm about to get the groceries out.

This procedure worked for me on my 2008 S.

1) Open driver's door.
2) Turn ignition switch to On (II)
3) On the driver's door, press and hold the master lock switch as if you are trying to lock the doors.
There should be two clicks. It will take more than 5 seconds.
4) Within 5 seconds of the clicks, turn the ignition to the lock position.

To turn the awful autolock back on, do the same sequence, but push and hold the door lock switch the other way.
Old 03-24-2020, 06:55 AM

Received 1,137 Likes on 1,000 Posts

Tried this without success minutes ago.

3. There us no "master lock switch" on a USDM S2000 so there's nothing to press. Perhaps other Hondas or other markets have one (my Fords and Subarus do). The open driver's door can't be manually locked unless the inside door latch is held open and then pressing the lock forward. Tried several variations of this but never got any clicks and, of course, the car continues to auto relock after unlocking with the remote.

Anyone got success with this?

-- Chuck
Old 03-27-2020, 05:31 AM

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
....... There us no "master lock switch" on a USDM S2000 so there's nothing to press. .....
Well, there is one in my US bought completely stock 2008.
Just a bit in front of the latch that you pull to open the door, there is another thing that says "LOCK" on it.
That is the buttons for this.

Quick Reply: Yet another post on: How do I disable the auto door lock feature?