S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

America's love affair with SUVs starts to change.

Old 05-21-2005, 03:42 AM

Received 1,417 Likes on 1,110 Posts
Default America's love affair with SUVs starts to change.

What do you think? Are the recent numbers a signal that American drivers are moving away from pickup trucks and SUVs and back into cars, or are they just a temporary reaction to the higher gas prices?

Here's an interesting article from today's New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2005/05/21/automobi...artner=homepage

What do you think?
Old 05-21-2005, 04:00 AM

Received 437 Likes on 314 Posts

That was an insightful article. I took a rental Chrysler 300 for conference in Philadelphia this week and was quite impressed with the ride. It has a fairly decent suspension and a good feel. Interior seemed a bit chintzy but very solid. You get a lot of car for the money with Chrysler 300. I think there is always a demand for SUVs but for those who follow the trend will always rise and fall with what they fancy at the moment. People who know exactly what they want in a vehicle will continue to buy SUVs but those who buy based on image will probably think again if buying SUVs will not really meet their needs. That is my perspective.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:02 PM

Received 22 Likes on 16 Posts

Gee, I don't know, Rob. I hope it's a trend. Americans need to be driving more fuel-efficient vehicles. Just my opin.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:34 PM

[QUOTE=Chazmo,May 21 2005, 10:02 PM] Gee, I don't know, Rob.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:39 PM

Definitely multiple things going on, Rob. Agreed.

I feel badly for Honda. I was at the dealership today, and they had a RidgeLine. What a clever, neat pickup (sorta, kinda)... Just bad timing.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:52 PM

Originally Posted by Chazmo,May 21 2005, 10:39 PM
I feel badly for Honda. I was at the dealership today, and they had a RidgeLine. What a clever, neat pickup (sorta, kinda)... Just bad timing.
Chaz,

I'm not so sure. I heard that the Ridgeline is selling very well. Honda didn't aim it at the typical pickup buy but rather at the suburbanite.

That said, I don't like the Ridgeline. I think it is a perfect example of what happens when a company that isn't in a certain market, and doesn't belong in a certain market, makes an attempt to get into that market. Personally, I don't think that Honda should be in the pickup truck business. I think their strength has always come from their innovation and understanding of the automobile market.

I wonder if the Ridgeline will turn out to be the Aztec of pickups.
Old 05-21-2005, 06:55 PM

Rob, not to stray too much from the topic, but (if you haven't already) you should check out the RidgeLine in person. It's got the niftiest trunk and tailgate that I've ever seen. And the interior is terrific as pickups go.

I'm not a pickup guy either, but I have some respect for this thing having gone over it with a comb this morning.

Hey, if companies don't try there hands at other products, they'll stagnate, Rob. Honda builds robots and now airplanes, don't forget.
Old 05-21-2005, 07:02 PM

Originally Posted by Chazmo,May 21 2005, 10:55 PM
Rob, not to stray too much from the topic, but (if you haven't already) you should check out the RidgeLine in person. It's got the niftiest trunk and tailgate that I've ever seen. And the interior is terrific as pickups go.

I'm not a pickup guy either, but I have some respect for this thing having gone over it with a comb this morning.

Hey, if companies don't try there hands at other products, they'll stagnate, Rob. Honda builds robots and now airplanes, don't forget.
Chaz,

I've been in the Ridgeline, I saw it when we were buying our Civics. And, I agree that companies have to constantly try new things to keep from stagnating, but on the other hand, I also think that companies should focus on markets that they understand, or try to understand the markets that they are aiming at. I think the Ridgeline misses the mark.

I too think the tailgate is innovative and the trunk is a nifty idea, but I would expect innovation from Honda, that is, after all, one of their hallmarks. On the other hand, I'm not sure that those minor (in the scheme of the entire vehicle) innovations are enough to sell the truck. I doubt it.

Of course, time will tell, but I think Honda might have made a misstep with this one.
Old 05-21-2005, 08:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by ralper,May 21 2005, 09:34 PM
...The real change comes when a certain type of vehicle goes out of style. Very much like fashion clothing, vehicle styles have a life cycle....
...I do think that the move away from SUVs because of gas prices is a temporary one, but I do think that we are seeing the beginnings of a trend away from these vehicles too.
Rob.

Vehicle choices are indeed driven by fashion and fad. The trending is away from the SUV's and I think it will take time but be fairly long term. Americans have been searching for a station wagon replacement since the Big 3 stopped making them. The "SUV" was the natural follow on to the much maligned mini-van. If you look at the recent offerings by the manufacturers you will see a return to the more classic 'station wagon' format (eg: Pacifica, Escape, etc.). These cars/trucks/cucks/tars are arguably more environment friendly (there is a hybrid version of the Escape) and use less fuel. The 'classic' SUV will be around for quite awhile, but it will go back to its original users - farmers, contractors, ranchers and people who use them off-road for recreation.
Old 05-22-2005, 03:01 AM

Received 437 Likes on 314 Posts

It is very difficult to gauge consumer's fickle hankering. I think Ridgeline was a great concept but I am not convinced that is what the average American buyer is looking for. If you look at F150 or Chevy trucks, you know what you are getting. Tough, reliable and mainstay truck is what we have. In Ridgeline, you are getting a very innovative Honda vehicle but would people seriously drive that around to haul dirt and other building materials? I am not so sure. Ridgeline is more of a faddish vehicle in my opinion. As hard as Honda tries to portray "tough durable truck" image, I can't buy that. I agree Honda should really focus more on what made them successful and leave some things to Ford and GM.

Quick Reply: America's love affair with SUVs starts to change.