S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Cable Boxes and smart TV's

Old 02-27-2019, 11:06 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts
Default Cable Boxes and smart TV's

You learn something new every day. It's hard for some of us to keep up with all the technology of smart phones, PC's wireless this, wireless that, streaming TV vs cable, and don't get me started on Alexa. . A couple months ago, I called Comcast and got a two year deal on our package. The prices is as OK as a cable bill can be. No bells, whistles or movie channels. We have NetFlix and Amazon, and we may watch some TV on demand, but have never bothered with a DVR. Two months into the two year deal I see my bill is up again. WTH? I called today and their prices went up, equipment rental, whatever, and even though I have the bundle package, I'm still subject to that type of increase.

The guy was most helpful....Let's see what we can do. We have five TV's. Yes five. They all get used, though some more than others. Four of the five are smart TV's three of those are ROKU TV's. As it happens we can stream Xfinity TV using the ROKU TV or devices, and get rid of the additional boxes for which Comcast changes a fee.. The fee per box is pushing $6.00 or $7.00 now/box/month. OK, we're in. I went home and lunch and quickly set up two of the TV's will do the other one tonight. It may be a bit more involved (more scrolling?) to get where I want to go on "regular TV" this way, but considering how infrequently we watch "regular TV" on these TV's it's not a huge deal. Rick will return the equipment we will no longer need. As of now, Comcast is not charging any additional outlet fee if one streams their content. We'll see how long that lasts.

So have you done any homework to find out if any of your devices you are paying for are no longer needed? I just hate sending the cable people so much $$ every month, but we aren't ready to cut that cord.
Old 02-27-2019, 11:39 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

So you can stream from one TV with infinity to the other tv using Roku?

I m at 4 TVs... one smart and 3 analog. I have 1 dvr box and 3 of the little cable boxes about the size of 2 decks of cards thst converts the digital cable signal so my analog tv can work. I getting ready to renegotiate my bill that will include mo phone. I m up to 20 unknown callers a day and I m tired of the phone ringing.
Old 02-27-2019, 01:19 PM

Received 4,929 Likes on 2,989 Posts

Yes, one does need to stay on top of things with constant improvements of tech stuff both on Comcast, TVs, etc. We have one X-box TV and three $6/mo TV's. Plus a standby TV (where I can bring one $6 box from my garage into the house where lines are already run in two other bedrooms.

We bought our last TV, a dumb TV, for $230 to use in the basement. In hind sight, I would have bought the same model in a smart TV if I knew I could eliminate a $6/mo box. Dah, why didn't you start this thread in 2017! At least we do use the three $6/boxes a lot; two every day and the third when I'm in my man cave.

I just received my latest Comcast bill, with an increase. I knew it was coming since I pissed and moaned two years ago and got a $50 discount for 2 years. Need to put on my mean face and call them again.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:18 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

So glad I cut the cord 9 years ago. No cable bill is a wonderful thing.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:35 PM

Originally Posted by Conedodger
My options would be rabbit ears or stare at the walls.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:42 PM

Originally Posted by CitadelBlue
So you can stream from one TV with infinity to the other tv using Roku?

I m at 4 TVs... one smart and 3 analog. I have 1 dvr box and 3 of the little cable boxes about the size of 2 decks of cards thst converts the digital cable signal so my analog tv can work. I getting ready to renegotiate my bill that will include mo phone. I m up to 20 unknown callers a day and I m tired of the phone ringing.
No, that's not how it works. You can stream Xfinity on a TV that is a "roku" smart TV or perhaps a TV with a Roku device Each TV is on it's own, so to speak. Our TV room TV is a smart TV but it's a Sony, so streaming Xfinity isn't an option. Three other TVs are smart TV's /Roku so no cable box needed. The last TV is a small digital, not a smart TV we still need the little box on that one. I played around with one of the TV's tonight. More clicking to get where you want to go, but you can set favorite channels.... use search to watch something "on demand."

I've checked into ditching the phone, it's never economical to do so. Just unplug it.
Old 02-27-2019, 03:49 PM

Originally Posted by Conedodger
What do you pay for Internet? In our area, a decent internet speed is still $80-$100.00/month. Our friend cut the cord, he still pays a fair amount for internet, buys Play Station TV and something else, and in the end, probably doesn't spend much less than we do. We were watching the Super Bowl last year and his streaming service started to "buffer. We'll keep the option for the cord a bit longer.

Our bill went up about $5.00 or $7.00 and the return of the equipment is worth about $18.00/ month....Win win, until the Netflix price increases.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:13 PM

Received 2,507 Likes on 1,512 Posts

When our DirecTV contract is up I am going to dump cable and go to local and streaming. I should be able to save over $100 per month.
Old 02-27-2019, 04:18 PM

Cable for local channels or purchase some streaming option that provides some local channels?
Old 02-27-2019, 04:19 PM

Lainey, I use 2007 as my benchmark year. Why? That is the year I paid separately for phone, internet, and cable. The following year I went with Comcast. This is what I paid each year compared to my base year as a percentage, starting with 2008:
saved 20%
saved 12%
saved 4%
saved 4%
saved 0.5%
saved 0.5%
up 2%
up 2%
up 4%
up 1%
up 4%
The bill I just received would be a 30% increase from my base year and they are still claiming I am receiving a $25/mo discount on the bundle. I've brought this up before. Call in and tell them unless you can continue at the same rate you plan to disconnect all services with them. Does it always work? Well look at my numbers. Some times you have to ask to speak to the next higher level before going to all the trouble of changing carriers. Actually I am happy with almost all the features and improvements Comcast has made since I've have used them. And, AT&T does not beat their prices. I hate the hassle of doing that but last time I got them to agree to 2 years.

Quick Reply: Cable Boxes and smart TV's