S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Crossover SUV Search

Old 10-16-2017, 09:46 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Dave,get a white Buick SUV...
Old 10-16-2017, 09:49 AM

Received 4,962 Likes on 3,005 Posts

Originally Posted by sam_spider
Dave, are you looking at strictly new, or is CPO an option?
Sam, I've often said that given the high prices and good quality that CPO is the only way to go. But, my wife puts too many miles going to the two barns and we generally keep our cars 10 years, so I am eating my own words right now.
Old 10-16-2017, 09:57 AM
Site Moderator

Received 2,604 Likes on 1,910 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Sam, I've often said that given the high prices and good quality that CPO is the only way to go. But, my wife puts too many miles going to the two barns and we generally keep our cars 10 years, so I am eating my own words right now.
Gotcha.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:14 AM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
I don't let comments like that bother me.

It's like macho comments that a Miata is a hair dresser's car or whatever. Put one of those commenters in a Miata passenger's seat at the race track with a good driver and Mr Macho would be spilling his cookies before the end of the first lap.
The know it all attitude displayed by some (and not for the first time) annoyed me, on this Monday. It was the most polite thing I could think of to post.

Carry on, Dave. Maybe we'll see you test driving a Jeep before this is over.
Old 10-16-2017, 10:39 AM

Originally Posted by Lainey
Carry on, Dave. Maybe we'll see you test driving a Jeep before this is over.
A Jeep is way too macho for someone looking at crossdressers crossovers.

BTW, it rained all day yesterday and I had the time to look up a dozen different reviews on the CR-V, plus any recall and tech bulletins info, plus info on where and how they are made, plus sites that have actual owner inputs on the 2017s. Yep, I do my research! The only issues I could find were complaints about the infotainment screen operation. Nothing whatsoever to make me change my mind.

I would love to hear they are coming out with a 2 liter turbo for 2018 but it appears there will be no changes other than perhaps an electric hybrid for Europe to replace the diesel.
Old 11-09-2017, 08:29 AM

Received 19 Likes on 10 Posts

Just took the Mazda CX5 for a drive yesterday. I believe that it is hands down the best looking SUV. The interior is well designed, with the exception of the NAV, which looks like an afterthought on the dash. The seats are comfortable, they have suede in the center because leather cracks and suede doesn't. Three temperature settings on the heated seats, heads up display, keyless pushbutton start, and the door windows are the quietest I have experienced. They have a lot of sound deadening in the doors and they have installed a thicker glass.

The back seats are also heated and they tilt back to give the rear passengers a more comfortable ride. If you want the rear door to go up without lifting it, you have to purchase another package, but the car I drove had all of the "bells and whistles". The car has a very aggressive front end, the engine is a 2.5 liter that is rated for 185 HP. Not killer acceleration but comfortably merge into traffic. There is a button that you can push, on the center console, that puts you into "sport mode" which makes the car feel more like a stick. The car has a taut suspension, but not so bad as to be uncomfortable. The salesman had me drive over train tracks at 50 miles an hour to see how well the suspension reacted on uneven surfaces. The car had no problem regaining its composure over the train tracks. The car comes with Yokohama Geolander tires, which if you check with Tirerack, are a great tire for SUV's.

If you need a lot of cargo volume, this is not the car for you because it has about 1/3rd less than a CRV. Also, the 2nd row seats don't fold down flat. There is a 40/20/40 seat split which provides more utility. So while this is fine for a DD or grocery getter, it doesn't have sufficient hauling capacity for people who need that extra capacity.

I like that it has NA engine and the non-CVT transmission. The vehicle handles like a car, it has decent fuel economy (31 hwy/25 city), It has a quiet cabin, a full range of safety features, a 10 speaker stereo system, the engine compartment is neat and a well insulated firewall to keep engine noise out of the passenger compartment. It's also not a car you'll see in every driveway. I mentioned before on my street, just about everyone has a SUV. CR-V, Mini Clubman, Jeep, Cadillac Escalade (this person also has a Kia Soul, which she drives most of the time), RAV4, Infiniti QX30 (I also took one for a drive, found it too small and expensive), and a couple of pick-up trucks. I guess, I'll either have to buy an SUV, or move out of the neighborhood.
Old 11-09-2017, 10:04 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Dave, let me know if you find an F-150 with low miles and 4x4 for around $5K.
Old 09-04-2018, 06:44 AM

I decided it was time to make the leap. This weekend we purchased a 2018 Honda CR-V in the EX trim model which offered the best combination of features and value – turbo 1.5L, heated front seats, moonroof, satellite radio, touch-screen infotainment system that works with Apple CarPlay for navigation from the iphone, plus a good number of driver assistance and advanced safety features. The first year bugs of this new 5th generation CR-V seemed to have been worked out with the 2017 model. The CR-V costs a bit more than some competitors but it gets class-leading cargo space and excellent fuel economy. I would have gladly forgone some fuel economy for a 2.0L engine but it was clear that was not happening. The next model redo is not expected until 2020 plus the new Acura RDX got the upgrade engine. The wife talked me into getting an extended warranty; probably not a bad idea with all the electronic sensors and idiot assistance features that could go wrong.

I really thought my days of buying a brand new car were over as clearly the best value is to buy a certified used car. Ironically the CR-V holds up its resale value so it doesn’t offer the savings of most others. The average savings for CR-V’s coming off a 3-year lease was just 30% of the original price, whereas most vehicles fall into the 40-50% range. I knew we wanted a 5th generation car so it made little sense to wait. So now the wife has a new barn car.

Old 09-04-2018, 06:48 AM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Nice color and nice car,congrats.
Old 09-04-2018, 07:18 AM

Received 323 Likes on 274 Posts

That is one handsome ride.
Levi

Quick Reply: Crossover SUV Search