S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Dealing with Comcast

Old 03-06-2014, 08:22 AM

Received 696 Likes on 472 Posts
Default Dealing with Comcast

I will start off by saying that I absolutely hate Comcast. Not getting a picture on the TV's and called their 800 number. Talked to some guy in India who went through the turn off/turn on, resend signal and check connections ritual with no success. He set up an appointment for Wed. Got a confirmation call and confirmed it. Got a message Wed. that the appointment was cancelled for no reason. Called again and got some woman from Costa Rica and she set up an expedited appointment for today between 8-10AM. No show at Noon. Called again and got a guy who speaks English I can understand. He says no appointment was put into the system for today and he could have someone here on Saturday. I f"ing lost it with this guy and asked to talk to a supervisor. Supervisor put in an expedited order that expires in 4 hours. After 4 hours I should get a call to see what my status is. Can you believe this. What a PIA as now we have to hang around for the call back. Got this jerk to give me a case # like that will do any good. Verizon is coming to our area soon (FIOS) and as soon as they do Comcast is history. I have had no problems with Verizon service on our cells.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:26 AM
Former Moderator

Received 5,250 Likes on 4,492 Posts

I have a feint, FEINT hope that we will get Google fiber here. I believe your issues with them to be valid, and sadly, will amount to nothing as far as their level of service...
Old 03-06-2014, 08:51 AM

Received 696 Likes on 472 Posts

Originally Posted by Vadster
I have a feint, FEINT hope that we will get Google fiber here. I believe your issues with them to be valid, and sadly, will amount to nothing as far as their level of service...
AND, it will only get worse when they merge with Time Warner.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:54 AM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

I too hate Comcast, but last summer I was forced to sign up as my only internet option in my office. It has worked better than I thought, but still have some problems. They have tried to blame my software (Mozilla) on numerous occasions when they were having problems on their end, but then would say they would not help me since it wasn't Outlook. I have also found that the people that are on the help desk are not told when there are server problems. They should be the first to know, so they could tell customers "we're having issues, just wait X amount of time and try again". Instead they make you think you're the one having problems and make you jump through hoops. Having business Comcast, I usually get the help desk in the US, but that just means I get rotten information in English.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:48 AM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

Funny, I expected to read that you lost service because in "My Comcast Area" all the channels were scrambled EFFECTIVE TODAY unless you had their BOX on the TV. I have three of their boxes now but it meant I lost service to two TV's - one in a spare bedroom and one in my garage. Prior to today I could get limited channels - one local, some PBS, one out of Chicago, etc.

I went through a couple weeks from hell with them last year - replaced the modem/router twice, replaced the main cable box, replaced interior wiring, replaced the phone block, but since then everything has worked great (knock on wood). Download speed runs 55+ mbs and reception on all devices is excellent. So I should love them but I too hate them. No I loath them. They have to rank #1 as the worst customer service company in the US.

PS- they say they scrambled the signal to improve my service - what a line of BS. The cost of getting other boxes is $1.99/month.... until the next rate increase.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:04 AM

Received 2,744 Likes on 1,619 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04
Funny, I expected to read that you lost service because in "My Comcast Area" all the channels were scrambled EFFECTIVE TODAY unless you had their BOX on the TV. I have three of their boxes now but it meant I lost service to two TV's - one in a spare bedroom and one in my garage. Prior to today I could get limited channels - one local, some PBS, one out of Chicago, etc.

I went through a couple weeks from hell with them last year - replaced the modem/router twice, replaced the main cable box, replaced interior wiring, replaced the phone block, but since then everything has worked great (knock on wood). Download speed runs 55+ mbs and reception on all devices is excellent. So I should love them but I too hate them. No I loath them. They have to rank #1 as the worst customer service company in the US.

PS- they say they scrambled the signal to improve my service - what a line of BS. The cost of getting other boxes is $1.99/month.... until the next rate increase.
Dave, we had to get those extra boxes a while ago. I wasn't happy. I was more than happy with limited cable on a couple of TV's that are rarely watched.

I have no complaints regarding my service with them. I don't believe I've had any issue with the internet since I switched from Verizon, and one recent issue with TV reception on one channel only was quickly resolved.

Until they, and other companies, bring customer service call centers back to the US, the service will continue to suck as these people are reading from a script. Ray, Verizon's DSL customer service was absolutely horrendous. Not sure if the FIOS team would be any better, as the technology is different.

And yes, the price just keeps going up. Time Warner and Comcast are supposed to be merging. I'm sure we won't benefit from that!
Old 03-06-2014, 11:20 AM
Former Moderator

Received 139 Likes on 115 Posts

I think this frustration is with both Time Warner and Comcast. Imagine that.. merging two of the worst companies ......

After years of intermittent service, terrible customer service, and increasingly higher cost, I've signed up for U-Verse for $30 less a month with more channels, twice the internet speed, and a $350 gift card. I have no idea if AT&T will be any better but my neighbors around me all have ditched TW and I believe I will be doing the same.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:51 AM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by S2KRAY
I will start off by saying that I absolutely hate Comcast. Not getting a picture on the TV's and called their 800 number. Talked to some guy in India who went through the turn off/turn on, resend signal and check connections ritual with no success. He set up an appointment for Wed. Got a confirmation call and confirmed it. Got a message Wed. that the appointment was cancelled for no reason. Called again and got some woman from Costa Rica and she set up an expedited appointment for today between 8-10AM. No show at Noon. Called again and got a guy who speaks English I can understand. He says no appointment was put into the system for today and he could have someone here on Saturday. I f"ing lost it with this guy and asked to talk to a supervisor. Supervisor put in an expedited order that expires in 4 hours. After 4 hours I should get a call to see what my status is. Can you believe this. What a PIA as now we have to hang around for the call back. Got this jerk to give me a case # like that will do any good. Verizon is coming to our area soon (FIOS) and as soon as they do Comcast is history. I have had no problems with Verizon service on our cells.

You had me at "I absolutely hate Comcast." Now they have a "buy" option for on-demand movies. they mix it in with the rent menu and it is easy to "buy" by mistake. I had to fight to get the charge taken off my account.
Old 03-06-2014, 12:04 PM

Received 4,930 Likes on 2,990 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
You had me at "I absolutely hate Comcast." Now they have a "buy" option for on-demand movies. they mix it in with the rent menu and it is easy to "buy" by mistake. I had to fight to get the charge taken off my account.
I saw that and told +1 they did that on purpose. When you rent a movie you click on buy and when you buy a movie you click on buy. No accident there. They could have easily change the working on rent to rent but did not.

BTW, Lainey I agree - they all suck! In our area Comcast is the best of the lot - - not saying much is it?
Old 03-06-2014, 01:29 PM
Community Organizer

Received 185 Likes on 163 Posts

Does anyone here have RCN?

Quick Reply: Dealing with Comcast