S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Hate crime

Old 02-02-2006, 04:39 PM

Received 2,798 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Originally Posted by paS2K,Feb 2 2006, 06:09 PM
Sounds like this kid's room at home was filled with Nazi literature, etc. One would think that the parents would be tipped off by that....along with the 'wearing black' syndrome
One would think, but who knows.

We had a local tailor who survived a Nazi concentration camp. He would go to the local high school and tell his story. Most would be moved by the horrors of what "human" beings did to others.

I met him once at his shop. Seeing his "tatoo" of his prisoner number on his arm gave me pause.

Too bad some just don't "get it" and hate crimes of all types continue.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:04 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey8484,Feb 2 2006, 08:39 PM
One would think, but who knows.

We had a local tailor who survived a Nazi concentration camp. He would go to the local high school and tell his story. Most would be moved by the horrors of what "human" beings did to others.

I met him once at his shop. Seeing his "tatoo" of his prisoner number on his arm gave me pause.

Too bad some just don't "get it" and hate crimes of all types continue.
Lainey,

I grew up in Brooklyn in a mostly Jewish community. The temple my family belonged to had in its membership quite a number of concentration camp survivors. Also in its membership were quite a few people who had fought in World War II and had experienced the horrors of war. My mother was active in the Sisterhood and as a result we were quite friendly with many of these people. I was fortunate enough to hear the stories, first hand, of the horrors of the camps and the war. I remember seeing the tattooed numbers and seeing grown people weep as they told their stories. I remember that some of the stories were so horrible that the people telling them couldn't finish, even after 20 years had past.

With all of that, hate crimes were always a part of life. Cemeteries, particularly Jewish Cemeteries, were destroyed, swastikas were painted, names were called and threats were made.

And the black people had it even worse. Windows were broken, threats were made, people were harmed and neighborhoods were torn apart. I can clearly remember the incident in Howard Beach, Queens, when a bunch of white kids savagely beat a couple of black kids just for being black.

Like you, I've always wondered why this type of thing went on. I could never, and still can't, understand why people simply can't live and let live. Sadly it seems nothing changes, and we never learn.

Old 02-02-2006, 05:12 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I agree that this kind of stuff has always been with us. I think it is much more widely publicized now that we have pervasive near-instant communication, video cams on every street corner, and thousands of media sources all vying to present the story that will attract the most consumers.

I think the cops had it right: that this guy wasn't rational.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:29 PM

Received 463 Likes on 273 Posts

[QUOTE=ralper,Feb 2 2006, 10:04 PM] Like you, I've always wondered why this type of thing went on.
Old 02-02-2006, 05:46 PM
lig
Community Organizer

Received 32 Likes on 16 Posts

Sad, but not at all surprising. And I don't agree at all with the notion that parents have no bearing on how their children turn out.

I believe that ignorance has much to do with hate crimes of this nature.

Unfortunately ignorance, bigotry and prejudice are all quite common in our society.

People of color and gay people are keenly aware of this. Many other folks apparently are not.

Gay people ask for the ability to marry whomever they love - many bigots would deny them that right.

There are still some neighborhoods in the U.S. that have covenants prohibiting home ownership by non-whites.

Here's a snippet from a Seattle Times story that ran this summer:

"Racial restrictions, validated by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1926, then ruled unenforceable by the same court 22 years later, are linked to the original deeds of the 500-plus homes, north of Seattle in Shoreline.

Written into the neighborhood's bylaws by Boeing founder Bill Boeing, the 60-year-old restrictions prohibited the sale or lease of the homes to anyone who wasn't white. Blacks and Asians, the restrictions said, could occupy the homes only as domestic servants."
Old 02-02-2006, 06:20 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by lig,Feb 2 2006, 09:46 PM
....There are still some neighborhoods in the U.S. that have covenants prohibiting home ownership by non-whites.

Here's a snippet from a Seattle Times story that ran this summer:

"Racial restrictions, validated by the U.S. Supreme Court in 1926, then ruled unenforceable by the same court 22 years later, are linked to the original deeds of the 500-plus homes, north of Seattle in Shoreline.

Written into the neighborhood's bylaws by Boeing founder Bill Boeing, the 60-year-old restrictions prohibited the sale or lease of the homes to anyone who wasn't white. Blacks and Asians, the restrictions said, could occupy the homes only as domestic servants."
A quick reader could think that these mis-guided covenants are still in effect. If I'm reading your excerpt correctly, the prohibition was thrown out in 1948.

The deeds might have covenants but they are not operating. It's still sad that they ever were allowed, but good that they were tossed out almost 50 years ago.

Our property's original deed (from 1915) stated that houses must be built to cost at least $5,000.....
Old 02-02-2006, 06:44 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

The reason that was a story at all, if I recall, was that the current owners are trying to remove the language from their deeds but are finding that difficult for legal technical reasons.

Personally, I kind of think they should remain as a "lest we forget" sort of memorial. But I can understand if other people really don't want any such thing tainting their home.

As for the influence of parents on kids -- well I really think you might find that book I mentioned to be interesting.
Old 02-03-2006, 03:32 PM

Well all that I can say is social behavior is dependent on the need to be accepted.

Some people need to feel accepted to define their self worth and will neglect what is morally right to do so in an attempt to boost their ego.
They would do what ever to fit in and will subjigate those who go against the group's beliefs. They generally target those who are different.

And then you have your Sociopaths who feel they can do no wrong and are above everyone else and bask in the power they feel in hurting others and find a way to justify their actions.

These behavior tendences are bread from hatred and ignorance as well as no selfesteem.
Old 02-05-2006, 08:07 AM

Well, it's over now for the teenager. Sad that a couple other lives were lost in the process.

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20060205/ap_on_...ay_bar_shooting
Old 02-05-2006, 11:05 AM

Received 2,798 Likes on 1,639 Posts

Our morning paper was filled with reports of these sad events.

I would not have guessed he had traveled that far. CNN reported later that he had died.

What a sad story for all involved.