S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Maury Frankel (Jumpy Guy)

Old 02-22-2013, 01:02 PM
Community Organizer

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Maury Frankel (Jumpy Guy)

LINK TO MEMORIAL CRUISE 04-27-13: https://www.s2ki.com/s2000/topic/101...ury-jumpy-guy/

Friends it is with a heavy heart that I write to you all with the news of Maury’s passing. I received a message from his son Dan that Maury was unresponsive as of this morning and a call from his sister in law Valerie that he had passed away this afternoon.

The past few years have been rough on him due to Bladder Cancer and then Lung Cancer. I have heard less and less from Maury as of recently and have had an opportunity to see him fewer times then I would have hoped for. After having visited (along with SPT-S2K and S-Cargo) Maury in the hospital a few weeks ago due to a flare up of pneumonia I was looking forward to hearing from him and Beth on when I could visit him as he recuperated as his brother Mark’s place.
Maury called me earlier this week to tell me that this was the end. There would be no more drives and no more talk of our love of cars. There would be no more reminiscing of Spring Flings and donut hats, ridiculous goggles and ways to convince Beth to let him buy a Lamborghini. The cancer has taken over his lungs and his body was too weak to withstand any more Chemo or Radiation. He was calling to say good-bye and to share one last conversation with me. It gave me an opportunity to tell him how much he meant to me and just how much I truly loved him. I offered him help in whatever way he needed as he put his affairs in order and thanked him again for the many things he had done for me. We then talked about Beth and what a wonderful woman she is and how fortunate he was to have her as his wife.

With our brief conversation he was worn out and tired. His breathing was labored and his voice was shallow and quiet. I knew it was time to say good bye and to leave him with enough energy to make phone calls to others in his life. I told him I loved him and would do whatever he or Beth needed in the coming months. With that we said good-bye knowing that it was very likely the last time we would be able to talk here on this earth as friends.

When I got off of the phone I called my Dad and my wife Renee to share the news and the heart ache I was feeling. Then I started thinking of all of the good times and memories we shared and started writing. I ask all of you to read and then share. Share your condolences to the family. Share your pain and heart ache over losing a friend. But more importantly share your memories. Share those funny stories you have of Maury. Share those pictures or videos you took on a drive. Share a thought or an experience that Maury brought in to your life. Share some of the happiness that Maury brought with him wherever he went. As for me, this is my story:

I first got to know Maury in the early part of 2010. Renee and I had moved up from Germantown, MD in November of 2009 and I had finally joined S2Ki in March of 2010. After buying my car the previous April I debated joined a website and making friends in the car world time and time again. With the impending birth of our first child on track for late summer of 2010 I decided that the 2010 driving season was my chance to join a club before parenthood started to take away from my time in the car world.

Maury or as we all know him Jumpy Guy was the first person to reach out and say hi to me. He welcomed me to the club and to car ownership and invited me on a Spring Fling 2010 shakedown cruise. I quickly accepted his invite and soon found Renee and I on our way up the PA Turnpike headed to the Marriott Hotel parking lot in Cranberry. Upon arriving Maury quickly introduced himself to me and I realized the guy I had gotten to know online was a bit older than I was expecting. That was the first of MANY surprises that resulted from getting to know Maury.

Maury also took time that afternoon to introduce me to S-Cargo or as I know him Paul. Paul and I became best friends and I truly owe Maury a debt of gratitude for introducing me to him. Paul and I have planned more schemes and drives, talked shop and cars, shared beers and stories then I can even begin to recount. I owe my friendship to Paul to two decisions, 1 buying an S2000 and 2 joining the Allegheny Chapter of S2Ki.

A few shake down cruises later and an introduction to another staple member of S2Ki, Sam or SPT-S2K I was fully involved in all things S2000. Spring Fling came and went and I got to meet many awesome individuals in the world of Honda. I found myself attending more and more events including car shows, group cruises, Tomcatt Runs and Pittsburgh Cars and Coffee meets. Throughout it all Maury attended everything and anything that he could clear his schedule for. We talked life and cars and everything in between.

When Zach was born in August of 2010 Maury and Beth stopped by the hospital and dropped off a gift basket. From then on a conversation wouldn’t pass where I wasn’t asked about how Zach and later on Nick were doing. Any story I had always resulted in a follow up about his granddaughter and you could tell how happy he was to have babies in his life!

When I lost my job in the winter of 2010 he was the first to call and offer up his support. He also offered me hours at his company whenever I wanted to make sure that I was able to make ends meet. I decided to take a chance on business interfering with our friendship and accepted his offer. I found myself an ELF employee on special events at Steeler and Pirate games and at Bat Mitzvahs. Yes I worked a 13 year old Jewish girl’s Bat Mitzvah at PNC Park with Maury and Beth. It definitely is one of the lasting memories I take away from my time in being friends with Maury.

In June of 2011 I went to Tomcatt with Maury. I brought my Dad along as a combination Father’s Day trip for him and Birthday Trip for me as well as my Uncle to serve as a co-pilot and driver for Maury. It was a great trip and on the way home from the drive my Dad and Uncle rode in the Benz and I gave Maury another spin in an S2K. We talked about life and friends and the future.

When Maury got cancer I was shocked. He called to tell me the news and I can’t tell you where I was or what I was doing. I just remember being in shock. Bladder Cancer was the diagnosis. They would removed the Bladder and then craft him a new one. He then would go for Chemo. He had his surgery and in January of 2012 I found myself on the way to Hillman in Shadyside to spend some time with Maury and Beth on his first day of Chemo. I sat and joked with them and got to witness first hand how much Beth cared for Maury and how tough this was on her. When the time was right I bid my farewell and offered Beth to help with whatever she needed.

Maury did his rounds of Chemo and everything seemed great. There was no sign of Cancer and he was planning his summer car cruises. He would come out and we would cruise to Pittsburgh Cars and Coffee with Zach on his second birthday. We would do a 7 Springs Run with Sam and Paul and there would be Tomcatt Runs and Spring Flings. Unfortunately the cancer had returned and spread. More Chemo and radiation were ordered and they took their toll. I got to meet Mark, Maury’s brother on Zach’s 2nd Birthday Run to Cars and Coffee. Each time I saw Maury he looked weaker and weaker but continued to push and have fun. I cherished these rides and times with him not knowing when the next opportunity would come to see him because of my work schedule and his condition.

Finally the call came that he was in the hospital with pneumonia. Paul, Sam and myself (along with my dad) cruised out to visit him. We stayed way too long and talked way too much but it was great to see our old friend. I left the hospital that Sunday with a peace about my friend and plans to see him again once he was checked out and relaxing at his brothers place.

Although I never got to see Maruy again I am thankful for our last phone call. I am thankful for being able to visit him in the hospital one last time. I am thankful for our Cars and Coffee cruise and sharing one last ride in the S2000 together at Tomcatt 2011. I am thankful for the friendship he offered and the experiences we shared. I am thankful for people he introduced me to and the kindness he showed my family. Most importantly I am thankful for Maury Frankel and the opportunity to call him my friend.

I love you buddy and I will miss you.

Tribune-Review Obit:

http://obituaries.triblive.com/listi...ury-S-Frankel/

Post-Gazette Obit:

http://www.legacy.com/obituaries/pos...7769&fhid=4365

Arrangements:
Message from Dan one of Maury's sons:

Hello all,

Thank you for your support during this difficult time. Our family is honored to have family and friends like you!

Below is the updated info for Maury's arrangements. These are the final plans for the week as of Saturday, February 23rd, 2013.

MONDAY FEB 25th:

ALL friends and family are welcome to join us at Temple Sinai for a reception and service in Maury's honor.

Family arrive 11:30 AM

12:00 PM - 1:00 PM
Reception for all to visit with the family.

1:00 PM - 2:30 PM
Funeral Service for Maury Frankel

Temple Sinai
5505 Forbes Ave
Pittsburgh, PA 15217

In lieu of flowers please make a donation in Maury's name to Saint Jude Children's Research Hospital.

www.stjude.org

MONDAY 25th (CONT):

After the service ALL of Maury's family and friends are welcome to join us in celebration of his life at the home of Mark and Valerie Frankel. Dinner will be served for all.

If you would like to provide food or drink please contact Nancy Frankel at 412-913-0202.

Mark & Valerie Frankel
2588 A Grouse Ridge
Wexford, PA 15090.

TUESDAY 26th AND WEDNESDAY 27th:

Tuesday & Wednesday the family will welcome all friends and family at Mark and Val's from 3 PM - 9 PM This will be kind of like the viewing portion of the funeral process. It is called "sitting Shiva" in the Jewish faith.

Desserts and light refreshments will be served Tuesday and Wednesday.

If you would like to provide food or drink please contact Nancy Frankel at 412-913-0202

If you have any questions please do not hesitate to contact any member of the family!

Love to all!

Headcount:
HannibalACP82 +1 w/S2K
S-Cargo w/S2K
Spt-S2K +1
Matt in VA w/S2K
JonasM +2
Villian2000 +1
Cilocar +1
RedOne2007 w/S2K
DriveAholic

Possible:
SuprFunGuy w/S2K
bc02
Old 02-22-2013, 01:14 PM

Received 729 Likes on 446 Posts

Hannibal, my heart is broken. I loved our Maury and I can say no more.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:19 PM

Received 3,028 Likes on 1,678 Posts

Old 02-22-2013, 01:34 PM

Received 48 Likes on 45 Posts

Godspeed, Maury ........
Old 02-22-2013, 01:36 PM

Received 135 Likes on 86 Posts

This is very sad news.
Old 02-22-2013, 01:38 PM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Good memories of great times with Maury and Beth...especially the water volley ball games in the hotel pools.

There has never been such a "sharing guy" in the S2000 cohort and I doubt that there will ever BE anyone to match Jumpy Guy.

A tribute to Maury will be the time in the future when CANCER is closer to a cure for everyone.

Kathy and I read the sad news together, and shared a tear in the eye. Thanks for the memories, Maury
Old 02-22-2013, 01:55 PM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I will really miss Maury. He is the reason why I am even a part of the vintage group.

This picture is of the last drive he did with the Allegheny Club at Ohiopyle. It is the Seven Springs Cruise that he and I first drove together on and unfortunately the last drive. For that, it will hold a sentimental meaning for me. He told me how he enjoyed this drive, so we worked together to try to remember the route this past fall and put together the drive.
[attachment=34647:IMG_0425.JPG]

This picture below is TomCatt 2011.
[attachment=34655SC_0034.JPG]
Attached Thumbnails Maury Frankel (Jumpy Guy)-img_0425.jpg   Maury Frankel (Jumpy Guy)-dsc_0034.jpg  
Old 02-22-2013, 02:05 PM

Received 47 Likes on 23 Posts

Words can't express how much I will miss this great man! Rest in peace my friend, we love you.
Old 02-22-2013, 02:15 PM

Received 3,552 Likes on 2,400 Posts

Regardless of how much your logical self knows the sad news will eventually come, it never prepares your heart which always breaks when it finally does.

Beth know that you are in our heart and the community shares your loss.
We will miss our silly buddy who loved to have such a good time.

Jerry and Barb
Old 02-22-2013, 02:16 PM

Received 57 Likes on 46 Posts

Maury was always the life of the party. Always kind. We will miss him dearly. I am concerned for Beth.

Quick Reply: Maury Frankel (Jumpy Guy)