S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

New and Old

Old 08-28-2003, 06:44 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New and Old

New here and considered Old by these standards (41). Any of you have comfort issues with the car? Do you have a bad back or poor circulation that finds it very uncomfortable to drive for very long? If so has anyone swapped out the driver's seat for something a bit more adjustable? Or added a cushion of some sort, maybe a posture-pedic lumbar or seat?

No I'm not kidding I am a Quadraparetic (partially paralyzed in all 4 limbs). I have a hard time finding a comfortable seating position. The lack of adjustments has me concerned.

I apologize if this has been gone over before ...I'll get the hang of it soon
Old 08-28-2003, 07:16 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

TJ

Welcome to our community. None of us are old, we're all "vintage" as in aged to perfection.

You might want to post your question in the S2000 Talk forum as well as here. There is a bit more "traffic" there and a better chance of getting your question answered.
Old 08-28-2003, 08:27 PM

THANKS! I'll do that as well.
Old 08-31-2003, 12:55 PM

A few years before I bought MY 00 S2000 I had to get my neck Fused because I ruptured a disk in my neck.I have a lack (reduction) of sensation in my hands and driving my car can cause me to get a headache from bouncing around.I also have a Big smile on my face when I drive my car.I tend to only drive a few hours at a time.I only use it as a second car.I'm 48y/o.I personally wouldn't change anything in the interior but your case may be more severe.Have a good day
Old 09-01-2003, 04:59 AM

I have 6 discs from my neck down my back that occasionally give me a problem as well as a bad hip. I too like the comfort of power seats and lumbar supports and believe me that does help. Since I've had this car, I've pretty much learned how to get in and out of it without too much problem. I find that once I'm in, the seat is fairly comfortable though my wife bitches it's too small (were not small people). I use the car as a daily driver and to and from appointments. I haven't heard of anyone making a seat change for more adjustability or comfort. Good luck in your search for information. -Ken
Old 09-02-2003, 05:05 AM

Received 78 Likes on 31 Posts

The S2000's seats are comfortable, but in a different way. I like to compare them to ski boots. You can get soft cushy boots with soft, flexible skis that make you feel like you're skiing on a pillow. But you can't take a sharp corner on a pillow. An aggressive skiier would get frustrated very quickly in beginner's equipment, but they're comforable.

But a good set of giant slalom skis with a nice stiff boot will allow you to take hairpin turns with ease. The boots can be considered comfortable if you don't lose circulation, don't have any pinch points, and you can ski all day without getting any blisters.

My point is that the S2000's seats weren't meant to be roomy or cushy. You can't readjust your position a dozen different ways on a long trip to keep from getting stiff. But the one position your seats allow you to take is quite comfortable, and long trips may require a few extra "rest" stops.

Getting in and out of this car can be a challenge for some people. My parents are in their 70's, and they have a tough time getting in and out. Heavy people with limited flexibility have a tough time getting in and out of the car. That may be a problem for them, but it's one of the things I like about the car; it's not right for everyone, but it's right for me.
Old 09-02-2003, 05:45 AM

Received 4,962 Likes on 3,005 Posts

As far as sports car seats for everyday aggressive driving go, these are great. Firm, tight, good bolsters. And the steering wheel and the seats seem a good fit for most drivers.

However, from a comfort and ergonomics point of view, there is much lacking IMO. It all has to do with to total lack of adjustments to personallize it. The steering wheel has no tilt. I really miss that badly. The seats have no height adjustment. I miss that. The seats have no lumbar adjustment. I miss that. All my issues deal with arthritus. I've raised the entire seat about 3/4" using high-grade washers and I fabricated a separate seat cushion using special closed-cell sponge-like materials. When I track my car I take out the cushion but it helps on road.

My wife has more serious disc problems from being thrown while jumping horses. Because of firmness of the seats, combined with the firm suspension, she no longer will ride in the car. When we first got it we took a long trip of several thousands miles and afterwards it took her over a year to fully recover.

You can PM me if you wish for more info on the cushion. The material is sold by a company that does riding pads for horses and it's very dense material but also very supportive. To do one seat costs me about $70.

After some 14,000 miles and over two year's of owning the car, it will be these issues and none other that may cause me to replace the car, even though it's everything I ever wanted in a sports car.
Old 09-02-2003, 04:50 PM

Thanks everyone for the continued info.

Dlq04 a PM is on it's way.