S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Nova Scotia travel hints/info

Old 06-08-2009, 05:17 AM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts
Default Nova Scotia travel hints/info

I think some of you gave me info before, but I didn't do a search...I apologize if this is a duplicate thread.

I'm hoping to plan our August Nova Scotia trip soon. We are looking for peace, quiet, tranquility and time together getting away from everyday "stuff".

At this point we are not taking the ferry as we are not looking to spend time in Yarmouth or the Halifax area. We will come in via Maine and New Brunswick, work our way to Cape Breton Island and spend a few days there. Maybe two nights in Cheticamp, move over to the other side, for a night in Ignoish, maybe even a night in Louisbourg before starting our route home. We don't have enough time to visit Prince Edward Island.

We may spend a night here:
Loiusbourg

I'd be content to stay in one hotel for a few days, but don't want to end up driving over the same roads all the time, so I thought we'd move around a bit. So, for those of you who have been in the area, where did you stay, and do you have any 'must see" recommendations? This is our 25th anniversary, so while we are not looking to break the bank, we aren't looking for the frugal travel package either. (sorry Jerry)

Old 06-08-2009, 06:00 AM

Received 1,057 Likes on 540 Posts

Hi Lainey

I have a friend that owns a campground on Oak Island. His names Steve Chapin. You probably know him from the song Cats in the Cradle.

In the summer he and his wife Angel run a music oriented campground. They also have some cabins. If you like singing, music and a genuine friendly folk rock kind of atmosphere check them out. Steve teaches music composition to advanced students (julliard) and the campground rocks.

It's also a great place to look for treasure. Oak Island and a very beautiful island.

Let me know if you're interested. I'm on the road but I'll dig up their tel if you want it.

fltsfshr
Old 06-08-2009, 06:22 AM

Received 1,413 Likes on 767 Posts

Lainey,

I know you asked me about this before via a PM, and sorry I haven't followed up. Give me a little time and I'll give you some ideas in the next day or so. I think you've got a good plan so far, though.

(I assume you'll be in the "S"?)
Old 06-08-2009, 06:38 AM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Thanks, Gene and flts. I've got time Gene. Yes we'll be in the S. Waiting to get final X ray of shoulder before making plans. Hopefully that will be in two weeks.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:13 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

I've only been to Halifax and on an excursion to Peggy's Cove. That was a really neat place if you've not been. Very quaint with a lighthouse.
Old 06-08-2009, 08:32 AM

Received 1,413 Likes on 767 Posts

Originally Posted by MsPerky,Jun 8 2009, 12:13 PM
I've only been to Halifax and on an excursion to Peggy's Cove. That was a really neat place if you've not been. Very quaint with a lighthouse.
The lighthouse at Peggy's Cove. Like Deb said, it's very picturesque (with lots of tourists!)

PS: Like your current avatar, Deb!
Old 06-08-2009, 08:37 AM

Received 2,596 Likes on 1,571 Posts

^ Thanks...that was taken at sunrise from the balcony of our condo.
Old 06-08-2009, 10:43 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Lainey, i have offered some info about this to you in the past. If you care to pm me and i will be happy to tell you some of the ins and outs of the area. I have a good friend with a home in cheticamp.
Dave
Old 06-08-2009, 11:03 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Originally Posted by zzziippyyy,Jun 8 2009, 02:43 PM
....I have a good friend with a home in cheticamp.
Does he take boarders?
Old 06-08-2009, 11:20 AM

Received 31 Likes on 27 Posts

Lainey, I posted a bunch of comments and photos in 2 parts from our trip to Nova Scotia last July. They're HERE on page 37 of the photo thread IV.

I about Cheticamp, Mabou (Arcadian=unique) and several sites that we really liked a lot...especially the small town of Baddeck. Look at the pics of the really neat small "efficiency" apt that we rented for two nights...above an art gallery. We absolutely that place and I can dig out the name if you are interested. Here's a repeat of a couple pics:

the view from our place in Baddeck; note the dock extending into harbor

pic FROM that dock...looking back to our apt....upper floor of the little green "cape cod" house

our guided kayak trip out to the lighthouse shown in pic #1

you MUST find one of these folks concerts....all over N.S but check locally to see which nights of the week

this is the one in Baddeck....just a block or two from our apt

Quick Reply: Nova Scotia travel hints/info