S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Paint damage on Crosstour

Old 06-12-2012, 11:08 AM

Received 3,021 Likes on 1,676 Posts
Default Paint damage on Crosstour

My 2011 Honda Accord Crosstour was 1 year-old yesterday (6-11-2012). I've been very happy with it, for the most part, but wonder about two odd paint chips it's got. After owning 8 Hondas, I know what to expect with road rash. These chips look to me like paint flaws, not rock chips. Opinions? BTW, this is a made in America car.

^This morning. Washed it last night.

^Front passenger door jam. I thought perhaps someone closed the door on something but there is no mark at all on the door itself where I'd expect one to confirm this. It's such a deep chip and not oval like a normal paint chip.

^The hood area where the other deep odd shaped chip is.

^I see a normal chip, the dark oval, but how about the other one, to the metal and odd shaped? I've never seen one like that before.

With two weird paint chips, to the metal on this car, and no clue how they got there, I'm thinking the paint had contaminants in it and it popped off. Any thoughts?
Old 06-12-2012, 11:31 AM

Received 117 Likes on 78 Posts

Hi Patty,

Could the one on the door edge have been caused by a seat belt buckle getting caught when the door was being closed?

The shapes are certainly odd.

They both seem to be deep and I'd have them filled in.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:16 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PokS2k
And my concern is, if the darkness I see in the pic is more than a shadow, but rust, just touching them up will not be enough, once rust starts, it is alive, and the only way to keep it from growing is to remove it all, be that a chemical treatment or sanding
Old 06-12-2012, 12:52 PM

Yes, both holes have rust. Hmm. Honda's are guaranteed against rust aren't they?

**EDIT** This Warranty Does Not Cover:
• Surface rust on the underbody or any other part of the vehicle except body panels.

• Rusting of body panels that were repaired, replaced, or refinished after retail sale of the vehicle, unless those panels were repaired or replaced under this warranty.

• Body panel rust caused by abuse, misuse, or lack of maintenance.

Rusting where the paint has been damaged by road hazards such as stones and debris.
Old 06-12-2012, 12:54 PM

Originally Posted by PokS2k
Hi Patty,

Could the one on the door edge have been caused by a seat belt buckle getting caught when the door was being closed?

The shapes are certainly odd.

I'd have to go pull one out to see. I would expect damage on the door too, though, if that was the case and it's not scratched.
Old 06-12-2012, 04:13 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Patty:

The way the paint is lifted or curled up around the edges on a couple of the chips looks suspect...like it's blistered. Maybe the heavy metal-flake is to blame?? However, the fact that the paint is gone all the way down to the metal leads me to believe that there could be a problem with the primer coat. Most normal road chips only knock off the clear coat and top painted layer, but you can still see the primer beneath. The few tiny chips I have on the front of my CR-V just knocked off the black paint, but the light grey primer underneath is still there.

I also recall that you had a flaw repainted on the rear hatch (??) when your car was new. I wonder if there are any paint-related TSB's on that car.
Old 06-12-2012, 05:44 PM

Received 3,542 Likes on 2,393 Posts

I'd have to agree with the door is probably a seat belt getting caught.

The hood? who knows
I will add, get them dealt with soon. they won't get any smaller.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Spokes Man
Patty:

The way the paint is lifted or curled up around the edges on a couple of the chips looks suspect...like it's blistered. Maybe the heavy metal-flake is to blame?? However, the fact that the paint is gone all the way down to the metal leads me to believe that there could be a problem with the primer coat. Most normal road chips only knock off the clear coat and top painted layer, but you can still see the primer beneath. The few tiny chips I have on the front of my CR-V just knocked off the black paint, but the light grey primer underneath is still there.

I also recall that you had a flaw repainted on the rear hatch (??) when your car was new. I wonder if there are any paint-related TSB's on that car.
Good point, Spokey! Of every car I've ever owned I've never had rust on a paint chip before. And this is just one year old in So Cal. Not like we get a lot of salt around here.
Old 06-12-2012, 06:11 PM

Originally Posted by boltonblue
I'd have to agree with the door is probably a seat belt getting caught.

The hood? who knows
I pulled on it and put it at the spot. :getyourmindoutofthegutter: It's possible that a seat belt could be in that spot but this new car doesn't have any lag with seat belt pull back. It's quite strong. When it's released it goes back quickly.
Old 06-13-2012, 04:58 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by boltonblue
Agreed!!!