S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Retirement plan status

Old 02-17-2017, 12:28 PM

Received 133 Likes on 85 Posts

Originally Posted by Heyitsgary
Here's my question.... When I talk with my advisor, we discuss about 80% or so of working wages during retirement. I don't know that I agree or disagree, but it's the model we're using. Against that model with a modest return on our 401Ks each year from now until 60, we are ahead of schedule. If we model at 60%, I could probably retire earlier if I wanted..
Our advisers approached a little differently. We actually analyzed our spending for three years prior to retirement. The question was, will you continue to spend at the same rate after retirement (actually Nancy's retirement, as I have been out for quite some time). We looked at what we were spending, and looked at our assets, and used actuarial tables to decide how much money we needed and when it would run out. We believe that we have enough to live to a very old age, and not really counting on SS.
Old 02-17-2017, 12:50 PM

Received 1,104 Likes on 700 Posts

This July will be two years since I retired. I decided to quit when work became a pain (enforcing Obamacare did it). I didn't have a budget, (maybe unusual for a CPA) but had healthy IRAs for both of us, and knew when we sold our house we would have a tidy nest egg. It's all working out. I guess if I run out of money I can go rob a bank, ready cash if I'm successful and government paid housing and healthcare if I'm not.
Seriously, the first year I found myself getting bored at times. Then we found a replacement home that needed remodeling, and that was a full time job until just a month ago. We moved in January, and when we finally get settled, and the weather improves, I think I will keep busy with biking, jetskiing, yard work and travel.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:17 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Zippy
Our advisers approached a little differently. We actually analyzed our spending for three years prior to retirement. The question was, will you continue to spend at the same rate after retirement (actually Nancy's retirement, as I have been out for quite some time). We looked at what we were spending, and looked at our assets, and used actuarial tables to decide how much money we needed and when it would run out. We believe that we have enough to live to a very old age, and not really counting on SS.
This is what I have done as well. % of income made no sense for me. As I became a more senior partner in my firm, my salary shot up. This really helped me save for retirement (and pay rediculous tax bills), but was no help as a guide to retirement. Listing out annual living expenses was eye opening and showed me what I would need to live on assuming no reduction in expenses after retirement.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:21 PM

Received 106 Likes on 78 Posts

Originally Posted by Lainey
I am looking forward to the answer to Gary's question. I'm not sure how much less of our income we can expect to live on in retirement. It's a tough figure to estimate. We are not world travelers now, nor do we expect to be in retirement. We don't have a mortgage, but cars don't last forever. Even if we enter retirement with automobiles that are paid off, down the line a new vehicle or two will be needed. We will have a larger amount due monthly for health insurance premiums than we are currently dishing out. We are not living in a house that needs to be downsized;, taxes, utilities, insurance costs will only continue to rise. We won't have to save for retirement, but is no longer needing to set aside "X" enough of a difference in how much money we will need in retirement?

Obviously those with pensions may be able to supplement their income with the SS and minimal withdrawals from retirement account. Unfortunately, neither or us has a pension so withdrawals from retirement accounts could exceed the recommended 3-5% annually or whatever it is.......
I think you have all the data you need to figure it out Lainey. As Ken and I have done, ignore your current income and list out your yearly living expenses. Then figure out your income after you retire and see how it matches up.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:23 PM

Received 33 Likes on 28 Posts

I've always had a spreadsheet/budget. That is what I'm using to figure our needs. Have to guess on health care, but the budget has a column for the mortgage that will more than cover the health care when the house is paid off.
Old 02-17-2017, 02:52 PM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

I'm not sure I'll like the answer...

I'll have to start tracking annual expenses, make a spread sheet, get organized. Sounds like a retirement project.
Old 02-17-2017, 03:10 PM

Received 464 Likes on 396 Posts

Retire now,you will only pay a lot less income taxes...
Old 02-17-2017, 04:59 PM

Received 1,416 Likes on 1,109 Posts

Every year tax season becomes a little more difficult, a little more frustrating and a little less satisfying. I'm still not ready to retire, but I'm closer than I've ever been.
Old 02-18-2017, 07:42 AM

Received 793 Likes on 439 Posts

Originally Posted by Zippy
Ken- I did that when I was house shopping years ago. Actually looking at expenses and what they would become post home ownership. This helped me realize that if I wanted to have a life along with a house, I should get a bit less house than my pre-approved amount the bank wanted me to use.

For retirement, I may have misspoke. I'm guessing it's probably closer to the expense ratio when working vs. retirement as compared to income in/out during retirement. OR, maybe it's all really the same, just how you spin the question. If I have X in retirement principle and I have Y available to me each year, and I spend Z in expenses. Do I have enough to cover that for N(umber) of years. Flipped, it's -- I expect to spend Z each year during retirement, based on X principle and Y available each year, can I sustain for N years.

I guess it's better thinking and preparing than not. Maybe that's the bottom line.
Old 02-19-2017, 02:09 AM

Received 158 Likes on 143 Posts

Originally Posted by Legal Bill
I think you have all the data you need to figure it out Lainey. As Ken and I have done, ignore your current income and list out your yearly living expenses. Then figure out your income after you retire and see how it matches up.
Originally Posted by Lainey
I'm not sure I'll like the answer...

I'll have to start tracking annual expenses, make a spread sheet, get organized. Sounds like a retirement project.
Our first step was to "ballpark" our expenses..... looked at what we were bringing home, and if we were saving anything extra (this does not include 401k deductions, employee stock plans, etc). Did this for a 3 year time frame.

We noticed that we were spending our "net pay wages" over the course of the year, mortgage, visa, car payment or purchase, year end taxes, etc. Our dollars in the typical savings account remained basically the same amount over the course of the year.

That is what we used as what we would spend during retirement.

At the same time, we were maxing out our 401k plans, employee stock purchase plan (Kathy), so what we were bringing home "net" was the only $$ we saw.

So far, we are actually spending a bit less.

Quick Reply: Retirement plan status