S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

Sending best wishes to Tom(catt)

Old 06-06-2005, 07:50 AM

Received 2,608 Likes on 1,580 Posts
Default Sending best wishes to Tom(catt)

Here is a posting from Tom from the "Shoot the Breeze" thread. I know all of you want to join me in sending words of support to him and Hilly:

Hi gang

I got out of the hospital yesterday (finally!!!). After a lot of tests, CAT scans, MRI, etc etc etc, they finally got a handle on this, and we somewhat know what the future holds.

It turns out I am in a very serious situation. I have developed metastatic colon cancer, showing up as lesions on the liver. A liver biopsy confirmed this. The MRI of my head confirmed the cyst is benign and of no concern. The chest CAT scan also indicated a couple of small nodules or lumps in my lungs, which may also be cancer. There will not be any investigation of these, however, as the treatment for the colon cancer will also take care of the lung lumps.

There is no cure for this, but at this point it is not terminal either. I will be beginning a regimen of very aggressive chemo sometime late this week, or beginning of next week, once I have a chance to meet with the oncologist in a couple of days.

Fortunately there are some new, very effective drugs for fighting colon cancer that have come out in the last year or so, with more due out in a year or two. The chemo is very very aggressive, and will most likely have some serious side effects; each person responds differently though, so I'll just have to wait and see how it goes.

What the docs are looking at is roughly a one to two year survival factor of 60-70%, as opposed to the normal five year survival factor I had when I underwent surgery in 2000. This does not mean I have a year to live, it's simply an expression of the relative success rate of people with similar conditions to mine living to one to two years. Along the way if new treatments become available, I can always elect to begin them, and perhaps extend that survival rate even further. I'm sure all of you have heard of people being given six months to live, and five years or ten years later they're still going strong. There is always hope!!!

I'll probably be on chemo for a long time, unless the cancer goes into remission. Regular blood tests and CAT scans will monitor the progress, hopefully showing the cancer lesions getting smaller in size.

There are other alternative treatments, some available now as clinical trials. My surgeon is investigating these, and working with the oncologist we'll come up with the best plan possible for me.

I had a mediport installed in my upper right chest area, which allows an IV insertion without having to each time find a vein. I had this before when I underwent chemo in 2000 and it works well.

Needless to say, life has changed for me. I don't think I will be able to go back to work, due to the 3-day on/14-day off nature of the chemo. That means I'll be using up my existing vacation and STD time, and will probably wind up on long term disability. Lots to look into about all that, and keeping my benefits/insurance/etc.

Hilly and I are taking this one day at a time, and we are going to do as many of the things we had planned for our future as we can. Hobbies, limited travel, you name it; we intend to enjoy life to the limit while we can, and make as many memories as possible. I will beat the odds with this, I will fight tooth and nail and investigate any and every possible treatment option that might help me. My attitude is good, life is good, it's just the life has suddenly become somewhat compressed for us.

Hilly intends to learn to drive stick in the next month or so, and will keep the S no matter what happens. It is my dream car, and if the worst happens she will continue to drive it for as long as it holds up. I'll have to teach her about the driving and maintenance quirks, and things to watch out for; needless to say she'll be driving it only in fair weather, so some of the handling issues won't be a concern to her. I might try to get her to a driving school sometime, so she can explore her limits with the car. I need to try and find someone locally to help with maintenance, as most of the dealers here don't have that great a reputation and I'd really hate to see her get ripped off and the car messed up. I wish we had a Ganley Honda here in Chicago area...

Thank you everyone for the kind thoughts and support. It means a lot to me and Hilly, more than you can imagine. I fully intend to be at the Ohio meet, even if Hilly has to drive. I will NOT miss this one!!!

As time goes on I may be asking for advice and help regarding things S2000 related, and life in general. One thing I remember from my last bout with this is support groups do wonders for cancer patients, and I think I have the best possible support group right here. Thank you again for everything!!!

Tom
Old 06-06-2005, 08:17 AM

Received 3,025 Likes on 1,677 Posts

I've PMd tomcatt and replied in the Shoot The Breeze thread, but you can't get too much encouragement when you have a fight ahead of you like Tom has.

Tom, I think you have the attitude to win this battle. I hope you can kick the cancers' butts.

Yeah, each and every one of those little buggers.

Love from me, to you and Hilly.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:23 AM

Received 2,796 Likes on 1,638 Posts

I also replied in the other thread, but will again wish Tom and Hilly well with their problems.

You truly do have such a wonderful attitude, Tom. I'm sure that makes things a bit easier for Hilly.

Keep up the fight!
Old 06-06-2005, 08:39 AM

Received 26 Likes on 11 Posts

Tom -

You certainly are approaching this hurdle intelligently and with the right attitude! Just know that you and Hilly have many, MANY friends, near and far. Some days are bound to be more difficult than others, and perhaps when those days occur, those friends can be of some help so you can "keep your eye on the ball". We're all with you (and not just when you are driving your "S").

That goes for Hilly, too.

Prayers do help. Carole and I will keep you in ours.
Old 06-06-2005, 08:48 AM

Received 135 Likes on 73 Posts

Tom,
As you know, we're all hanging in there with you! With your attitude, I have no doubt that you'll beat this.

Let me know if there's anything I can do to help re: the Ohio run. You might consider staying with us on the way back - it's a long way from Marietta to Chicago.

Hilly,
Remember that while Tom is leaning on you and us, you can lean on us, too!

JonasM
Old 06-06-2005, 08:56 AM

Received 729 Likes on 446 Posts

TC and Hilly!!! Love you guys!!! All my best to you both and lots of hugs and too.
Old 06-06-2005, 09:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Praying that God will see you through yet another hurdle. With that attitude, and that hope, you'll come through with flying colors as always. Hilly, you know you have our support and anything you need, just ask. We love you guys like family and we'll circle the wagons once again as we pray you though. Keep those spirits up and we'll do our part to keep you laughing on here. Keep the faith! Love you guys, Granny
Old 06-06-2005, 12:57 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Tom, good luck with all that you will have to go through to get past this issue. I know so many people who have kept a bright outlook like you seem to have, and they have gotten through the hard part of chemo and are now fine!
Old 06-06-2005, 01:17 PM

Received 135 Likes on 86 Posts

Maintain your positive mental attitude. That will aid all of the medicine.
Old 06-06-2005, 01:32 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Tom and Hilly,

Suzanne and I will keep you in our prayers. We can only echo what others have said about your positive attitude. It will help you immeasurably. Your road will be difficult at times but if you live each day to the fullest extent, you will achieve a level of fulfillment and serenity that many people only dream of. Best to you both. We'll see you in Ohio next month!

Carm & Suzanne

Quick Reply: Sending best wishes to Tom(catt)