S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners
View Poll Results: Start of buy-American cars movement?
Yes
25.93%
No
33.33%
To soon to tell
40.74%
Voters: 54. You may not vote on this poll

Is this the start of buy-American cars?

Old 02-11-2010, 09:17 AM

Received 4,962 Likes on 3,005 Posts
Default Is this the start of buy-American cars?

From Autoline Detroit:

"Could this be the beginning of a buy-American movement?

Has Toyota brought the American market to a tipping point? Are we about to see a backlash to the company that turns into a “buy-American” movement? Legislation has now been introduced in the state of California that would mandate all government vehicles be built in the United States. You know what that means? No state employee will be able to get a Prius, or any kind of hybrid from Toyota or Honda, since they’re all made in Japan.

When you look at how hard Transportation Secretary Ray LaHood has come down on Toyota it makes me start to wonder if this is payback time for decades of Japan’s trade policies, effectively keeping American companies out of the country. Despite the fact that Japan was the biggest car producer in the world, not one foreign automaker makes cars in Japan. In fact, imported cars in Japan are less than 5 percent of the market.

And others remember blatant trade barriers like banning American-made skis because supposedly they were not safe in Japanese snow. Or banning American made aluminum baseball bats. Or banning American cigarette companies from advertising in Japanese. They could only advertise in English.

As long as the American economy was growing and unemployment was low, Americans didn’t care about any of these issues, or how many cars were imported. But with today’s unemployment levels it’s a different situation, and that’s why, as I look at how hard the media are hitting Toyota, I wonder if this is a tipping point? I think we could be at the beginning of a “buy-American” movement"
Old 02-11-2010, 10:13 AM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

Voted yes. Wanted an "I hope so" choice.
Old 02-11-2010, 10:19 AM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

No
Old 02-11-2010, 10:23 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Have you seen the cars that american manufacters are producing? Things might be changing in a year or so..

PS. Did you know the GTR engine is built using Fords patents? Interesting... very interesting indeed.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:15 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes, I have seen the cars that Honda of America is manufacturing in Marysville, OH. They've been excellent cars for decades.

Meanwhile, apparently most Ford Focuses are built in Mexico.

I know which ones I consider to be made-in-America.
Old 02-11-2010, 04:21 PM
tof

Received 1,916 Likes on 1,308 Posts

Yes...

Funny...I just recommended a Buick Lucern for Jumpy Guy's mother in law. It's a remarkable luxury value that drives nothing like Buicks of yor. The new Malibu is darn good. The best mid price hybrid on the market right now is the Fision Hybrid. We're finally getting a decent focus. The CTS is a first class 5-series fighter.

I'm telling you, Detroit may never again dominate the domestic market like it once did but it is getting darn competative. And about time. (Maybe too late, actually.)
Old 02-11-2010, 05:06 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I said to early to tell. Ford has some good products these days.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:09 PM

Received 2,774 Likes on 1,628 Posts

I really like the lines on the Ford Fusion. They seem to have a decent reputation. I'd consider one as a passenger car. I don't know if I'd spend the $ on the hybrid unless there was a lot of mileage being put on the vehicle.

My brother has a Buick. He's older than I am. He drove me to an appointment last spring, and I posted here that I was quite impressed with the comfort of his vehicle. He's been a Buick guy for a long while.
Old 02-11-2010, 05:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by dlq04,Feb 11 2010, 10:17 AM
Has Toyota brought the American market to a tipping point?
You mean the way that lead in toys and toothpaste and poison pet food eliminated the demand for Chinese imports? Memories are short.
Old 02-11-2010, 06:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

CTS-V is my dream car. I would love to cruise in it and show ferrari's my 4 door can keep up with your car.

Buick is supposed to be coming out with a nice regal soon. 4 cylinder, turbo AWD. Looks nice too.

Quick Reply: Is this the start of buy-American cars?