S2000 Vintage Owners Knowledge, age and life experiences represent the members of the Vintage Owners

What plans do you have for the coming Weekend ?

Old 08-21-2023, 09:27 PM

Received 2,662 Likes on 1,595 Posts

Time to head to West Virginny this weekend and try out some new roads.
The following users liked this post:
dlq04 (08-22-2023)
Old 08-21-2023, 09:43 PM

Received 1,219 Likes on 935 Posts

USC San Jose State in the home opener at the Coliseum Saturday at 5. But first, 7 hours of tailgating just east of the Peristyle, reconnect with all my Trojan buddies.Ahh, the good life!

Last edited by The Raptor; 08-22-2023 at 06:31 AM.
Old 08-22-2023, 10:51 AM

Received 3,672 Likes on 2,478 Posts

Originally Posted by The Raptor
reconnect with all my Trojan buddies.
first thought oh right USC.. got it.
Kyras (08-22-2023)
Old 08-22-2023, 12:27 PM

Received 761 Likes on 402 Posts

I think this weekend my wife has plans for me to set up our upgraded home wifi and security system. Full mesh to cover at least 4 buildings, including beaming it 200ft over to the cottage, and I-can't-remember-how-many cameras to cover the area. I've already configured the gateway and tested the fiber feed into it (getting around 800Mbps down and 520Mbps up, not bad for a rural property), but I expect to spend a lot of time in the ceiling crawl space, and to hit my head x times.

Otherwise, I'll be fencing and digging storm drains.
Old 08-22-2023, 02:53 PM

Received 850 Likes on 460 Posts

Originally Posted by robb
I consider myself very fortunate I have had the same Dentist for the last 20 plus years and he is great. I’m hoping he doesn’t retire anytime soon.
I had the same dentist from what I was about 7 until Covid, so right about 45 or so years?

robb (08-22-2023)
Old 08-22-2023, 03:36 PM

Received 3,672 Likes on 2,478 Posts

Matt my old router is quite overdue for replacement.
I'll admit I am enamored with the Netgear Orbi mesh system but I'm having some serious commitment issues with the $1500 price tag.
Kyras (08-22-2023)
Old 08-22-2023, 05:19 PM

Received 3,943 Likes on 3,116 Posts

Bondville Fair this weekend TELL YOU WHAT Mr. Man!!!!!! www.bondvillefair.org
Old 08-22-2023, 06:02 PM

Received 3,132 Likes on 1,723 Posts

I'll be at my place in Kennedy Meadows. I fly to CA tomorrow and drive to Kennedy on Thursday. It's going to be in the high 70s/low 80s, with lows in the high 40's I'm guessing. That will be a relief from the mid to high 90s I've had in CO lately. I have a man, Jim Johns, who worked on my diesel Kubota generator before, meeting me there on Saturday morning to do maintenance on it and to get it to stay running. It wouldn't stay on on my last trip. I wasn't able to use the generator to fill the water storage tank, since it wouldn't stay on for the well pump, vacuum up the mouse poop (broom worked) or use my blow dryer after a shower. Had to use a percolator for my coffee. I'm just happy to be getting out of cell service and internet access and into cooler weather. I am looking forward to the golden rabbit brush, as I think it will be starting to bloom. The moon is waxing so that's cool for night time.

Oh, and I have Amazon delivering mouse traps to CA for me to take up. I left out D-con inside the trailer last time. I also have a brand new in the box mattress to set up, that I took up there last trip. I didn't take it out of the box when I saw mouse poop.

^7-1-2023. The last time I was there.

^6-11-2021. Water storage tank and generator shed.

^Kubota generator in its shed.

Last edited by Kyras; 08-22-2023 at 06:07 PM.
Old 08-22-2023, 07:18 PM

Received 761 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by boltonblue
Matt my old router is quite overdue for replacement.
I'll admit I am enamored with the Netgear Orbi mesh system but I'm having some serious commitment issues with the $1500 price tag.
I have a full Unifi suite, as recommended by a friend who installs higher-end systems for a living. Think I'm up around $US4K, including cable, cabinet and patch panel, as this is a "semi-pro" setup. No doubt it'd be cheaper to do in the US though.

I'll also confess the entire thing has been sitting beside my desk for nearly 18 months now, because I have everything else to do first.
Old 08-22-2023, 08:31 PM

Received 1,620 Likes on 963 Posts

Originally Posted by Kyras
I wasn't able to use the generator to fill the water storage tank, since it wouldn't stay on for the well pump, vacuum up the mouse poop (broom worked) or use my blow dryer after a shower. Had to use a percolator for my coffee.
Be advised that, without a proper mask/respirator, you put yourself at significant risk of Hantavirus. You are doing exactly what health professionals say NOT to do in your location. When you kick up the dust from mouse poop with Hantavirus and breath it in, you are serving up the virus to overwhelm your immune system. Really, it is something to always think about out west/southwest at home and camping. I use a 3M mask just cleaning out the chicken coop. I even used it sweeping out a storage unit I was turning in. For me, here in the west, the Hantavirus is far more of a concern than Covid ever was or is.

From the Mayo Clinic:
Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome is an infectious disease that begins with flu-like symptoms and progresses rapidly to more severe disease. It can lead to life-threatening lung and heart problems. The disease is also called hantavirus cardiopulmonary syndrome.

Several strains of the hantavirus can cause hantavirus pulmonary syndrome. They are carried by different types of rodents. The most common carrier in North America is the deer mouse. Infection is usually caused by inhaling hantaviruses that have become airborne from rodent urine, droppings or saliva.

Because treatment options are limited, the best protection against hantavirus pulmonary syndrome is to avoid contact with rodents and safely clean up rodent habitats.
The time from infection with the hantavirus to the start of illness is usually about 2 to 3 weeks. Hantavirus pulmonary syndrome advances through two distinct stages. In the first stage, which can last for several days, the most common signs and symptoms are:
  • Fever and chills
  • Muscle aches or pain
  • Headache
Some people also experience:
  • Nausea
  • Stomach pain
  • Vomiting
  • Diarrhea
As the disease progresses, it can lead to damaged lung tissues, fluid build-up in the lungs, and serious problems with lung and heart function. Signs and symptoms may include:
  • Cough
  • Difficulty breathing
  • Low blood pressure
  • Irregular heart rate

End quote.

Percolator? Use an Aero Press. It makes the best coffee in the world and I take it everywhere. All you need is ground coffee and boiling water. A little bit of a learning curve and then you wonder how you lived without it. Personally on the road, I use the Italian espresso ground coffee that comes in the little square vacuum packs. Good for a week of coffee. I use a butane round fuel for a camping style burner and a liter camping anodized lightweight kettle that swallow the fuel can and stove.

https://aeropress.com

https://www.cdc.gov/hantavirus/index.html

Last edited by cosmomiller; 08-22-2023 at 08:39 PM.
The following 4 users liked this post by cosmomiller:
Hertz Donut (08-23-2023), Kyras (08-22-2023), Scooterboy (08-23-2023), shrykhar (08-22-2023)

Quick Reply: What plans do you have for the coming Weekend ?