S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Frequency of wash and wax

Old 06-01-2016, 11:48 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

This is not a topic i usally read and reply but hey !! I just did !!

I have my S since 2002. Its Was a daily and track days car without a garage for the first five years and then became a week end warrior and still a track car.

I always keeped it clean and waxed it twice a year when it was my daily and now just once à year.

The paint is still amazing. Even better then some 06+ i see a meets.

Just trying to say not to go crazy i guess.

Good luck with your new ride. Try not to go crazy and wax more then you drive

Cheers
Old 06-14-2016, 01:53 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redwing497
An orbital (or Dual Action) polisher will save you SO much work. In fact, if you're looking for paint correction and rid your S of swirl marks, you may have to use a dual action (DA) polisher. Your hand and arm just can't move fast enough.

Polishes have different levels of "cutting" ability. The idea is to use the LEAST aggressive polish that gets the job done, since essentially, you're removing paint off the car when you polish.

As for applying wax, that you can do by hand since you only have to apply a think layer and not work it in. There's 2 types of "waxes" (also called last step products), 1) Carnauba - deep, warm, reflective glow. Doesn't last as long as a sealant but some would argue it leave a nicer finish and; 2) Sealant - high gloss and clarity but lack depth. Lasts much much longer than wax.

I'll try to be brief here. With your new S:

1. Wash it well
2. Clay Bar the entire car
3. Polish with DA polisher
4. Apply wax or sealant

After you do this, it is very important to have good washing methods. Use 2 buckets always (preferably with Grit Guards), a nice wash mitt, and soft CLEAN microfiber towels. I actually use a leaf blower to dry most of the car then follow it up with a quick detailer and clean microfiber to finish it off.

The fewer contaminants that you introduce to the paint, the longer your finish will last without developing swirl marks again. I gotta run now. If I think of anything else, I'll post again. Congrats on the S2000!
Follow the steps listed above, everything you need to know in a nutshell.

This is what I like to do:

1. Chemical Guys citrus wash or whatever it is, and it seems to remove most of the wax on my car. Or, you can use Dawn dish soap.
2. Iron-x to remove any contaminants
3. Clay bar. I like Meguiar's clay bar. Works well, I'm sure there are better clay bars out there.
4. Polish as needed. I'm a big believer in Meguiar's m105/m205. As needed, of course.
5. Sealant. I had some leftover Chemical Guys Jet Seal, works well. I have it on another vehicle (that's garaged), and its held up for at least a year, through snow, rain, 4 seasons.
6. Wax. This year, I used Collinite 915. I have a white vehicle, and it looks glossy wet. Seems to have a more depth than if I had just the sealant on. Probably imagining things, but I like to tell myself it makes a difference, especially if I have spent 8+ hours working on my car haha

Happy detailing!
Old 06-15-2016, 04:51 AM

Received 33 Likes on 25 Posts

I'm no expert on the clay/polish/wax part but what I do is before the S goes away for the winter I get
a full detail from a professional then immediately drive the car to storage.

Once it comes out, it is clean and ready to go and to be honest, I only wash the car once or twice a season
because when I'm not driving it, it is covered and after I drive it, I will use a California duster to remove
pollen, etc. then do a quick detail with Meguiar's quick detailer then cover the car again. I like keeping
it covered because it will minimize the fading of the dash, seats, top, etc.

I really only need to wash the car if I get caught driving in the rain which really makes a mess of it.

Then, once or twice a season I will put a coat of wax on it, I use the Meguiar's NXT 2.0 wax.

The car looks like it just came out of the showroom so what I do works for me, YMMV.
Old 06-16-2016, 06:53 AM

Received 45 Likes on 42 Posts

I use a waterless wash between traditional washes. The one linked adds a layer of Carnauba wax which preserves your primary protective wax/sealant.

http://www.autogeek.net/pinnacle-wat...-car-wash.html
Old 06-22-2016, 08:37 AM

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Chuck S
Life is too short to detail your car. Pay someone to do it! Once that's done you need to wash the car once a month regardless if it needs it or not. That's the beauty of silver cars. I think the inside of mine needs dusting more often then the exterior. I love black cars. Other guys black cars. While I'm out enjoying a drive with a pretty girl they're back home washing their cars.

I realize there are guys who will spend 12 hours detailing their cars. And others like gardening and keeping their lawns pristine. I assume they find it relaxing. It's nice to have choices. I choose to leave this task to professionals. Both tasks.

-- Chuck
Chuck is a smart man. I typically have someone detail my car 2x a year. Once in the spring and once right before fall, since that's when I do the most driving in the mountains.

I usually wash my car every two weeks or so - and perhaps just use a quick detail to give her a nice shine before a meet or drive.

I 303 the interior, top, and black trims once a month maybe - my interior never really gets that dusty and 1 year of 303 aerospace has done wonders!

I'd prefer to spend more time driving than cleaning.
Old 10-09-2016, 03:22 PM

Received 29 Likes on 29 Posts

I'd say he's smart only if he can comfortably afford to pay someone to do it for it. Not all of us are so fortunate. That doesn't make us any less smart.
Old 10-09-2016, 07:09 PM

Received 12 Likes on 9 Posts

Detailing is no different than fixing/modding your car. You can pay someone else to do it, but I prefer to work on my own vehicles. It's what makes owning a car fun for me. Detailing is tedious work, which is why I coated my paint so I can go on years before having to do a full detail again. I certainly wouldn't want to do it 2-3 times a year.