S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

My shopping list

Old 03-08-2007, 09:49 PM
bcs

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default My shopping list

I am starting to build up my stock of supplies. Just wanted to see if there was anything that stands out to the gurus that maybe I missed or duplicated. No need to buy similar products that can be used for the same thing.

There are some things that I already have...like a big blue WW drying towel. I might end up getting another one. Or maybe try something new.

Note - I took these products off autogeek.net and autopia-carcare.com. I actually would like to substitue some of these products for the Menzerna ones, but I am not too sure where to get them.

Anyway. Let me know what you think of this list.

1 - The Edge Dual Action 6 Inch Kit
------6 inch Yellow Cutting Pad
------6 inch Green Medium Cutting Pad
------6 inch Orange Light Cutting Pad
------6 inch Blue Finishing Pad
------6 inch White Ultra-fine Polishing Pad
------2 Cobra Super Plush Deluxe Microfiber Towels
------FREE Edge 2000 Quick Connect Dual Action Adapter
------12 oz. Pinnacle XMT Polishing Pad Cleaner
------12 oz. Pinnacle XMT Polishing Pad Conditioner
------2 Cobra 70/30 Microfiber Bonnets
1 - White/Yellow ShMITT Wash Mitt (for heavy washes)
1 - All White Wash ShMITT (for light washes)
1 - P21S Concours Carnauba Wax
1 - Klasse ALL-IN-ONE Polish
1 - Cobra Microfiber Towel Combo
------4 Miracle Towels
------4 Cobra Microfiber All Purpose Cleaning Cloths
------4 Cobra Super Plush Deluxe Microfiber Towels
1 - Plexus Plastic Cleaner, Protectant & Polish
2 - Grit Guard Insert
1 - Meguiar
Old 03-08-2007, 10:22 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I usually get my Menzerna stuff here: http://www.properautocare.com/mengerbespol.html

Old 03-09-2007, 01:32 AM

I bought some Menzerna stuff from properautocare this week. Ordered Monday and it arrived nicely packaged yesterday.
Old 03-09-2007, 07:52 AM
bcs

Perfect!!

Thank you for the link. I thought I had looked there for it. Maybe I just missed it.

I think I'll probably get this kit:

Menzerna Car Care Kit

Auto Shampoo
Final Polish II
Finishing Touch Glaze
FMJ, Full Molecular Jacket
Three (3) Microfiber Applicator Pads
Two (2) Microfiber Polishing Cloths
A Perfect Shine, Microfiber Buffing Cloth

I will probably (and correct me if I am wrong here) substitute the Menzerna Final Polish II and Finishing Touch Glaze for the two Sonus items I have listed...(SFX2 & 3). And since it comes with shampoo...i'll probably remove the poorboys as well.
Old 03-09-2007, 08:19 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

jeez lousie-
nice list if your gonna do this for a living!!

you really do not "need" all that stuff... (keep it simple and basic is what i think)- when i started out, i had a wash mitt and car shampoo. then i figured out what i wanted to do next and then bought those supplies.

btw, not pickin on you- prob just jealous when someone out-wackos me!!
Old 03-09-2007, 08:35 AM
bcs

Originally Posted by wanabe,Mar 9 2007, 09:19 AM
jeez lousie-
nice list if your gonna do this for a living!!

you really do not "need" all that stuff... (keep it simple and basic is what i think)- when i started out, i had a wash mitt and car shampoo. then i figured out what i wanted to do next and then bought those supplies.

btw, not pickin on you- prob just jealous when someone out-wackos me!!

Yeah...I tend to go a little overboard sometimes. haha.

I defenitly won't be buying all this at once. Just the basics at first. Like with the polish...i'll start with a lighter one. Since my car is silverstone...the scratches and spiderwebs (if there are any) are hidden very well.

It seems long...but I'm basically starting from scratch. I've always used...for lack of a better term...the 'over the counter' products. I've never really put any research into it before. So I'd start with the basic stuff...like the mit...and the car shampoo. Clay. A polish and a wax. The pad kit...I probably wouldn't need half of them. But then again...I don't really have a good paint assesment yet. And having NEVER used a buffer before, I don't know the difference between a yellow pad and a blue or orange or white pad. So I'm defenitly going to have to practice a little.

But I like to put everything in a list. Otherwise, I seem to forget about things.

And...no worries. I know you aren't picking on me. That's why I came here and asked. I'd feel worse if I ended up buying 3 different products that do the exact same thing. At least this way...I will get some very valuable input.
Old 03-10-2007, 08:22 PM

The one thing I noticed is that when you removed the SFX-2, you removed the only polish in your list that had any real "bite" to it. You don't have anything now that will polish out a scratch or deeper swirls. FPII is great for polishing your paint to a sweet glossy shine, but it'll only remove very minor defects. If your sticking with Menzerna you'll want to add some IP (intensive polish) to your list.

Oh...and another place you can get Menzerna and a lot of the other stuff on your list is Pakshak.com.
Old 03-11-2007, 08:06 AM

Personally, I wouldn't bother getting clay lube. There are several substitutes you can use that are cheaper and work just as well. You can mix up some car wash soap and some water in a spray bottle and use that. Also, you can use QD.

Another suggestion is instead of P21S I would get Max Wax. IME it lasts longer than P21S and IMO looks better. Plus, it's about the same price. Also, Poorboy's Natty's Blue is very highly as a wax but I've never used it myself. I can say it's half the price of Max Wax and P21S but supposedly performs at least as well as the more expensive waxes.

Last suggestion . . . Menzerna products are good. However, the only real Menzerna products are the polishes. All the other stuff like car wash soap, FMJ, FTG, etc. is actually made here in the USA and are only sold here. The polishes come from Germany. Menzerna is usually pretty pricey too. I would substitute the Menzerna Car Wash Soap for Optimum Car Wash. I can't say how they compare performance wise, but I can say the Optimum is one of the top soaps available and it's likely cheaper than the Menzerna. Remember when comparing prices that not all the bottles are the same size.

Also, you can buy Menzerna from Detailer's Domain. They are in NJ. So, ground shipping would get to you overnight. I just bought some Menzerna PO85RD there and was happy with their service. FYI, Pakshak is in Hawaii and Proper Auto Care is in Tampa. So, shipping from them will take several days.
Old 03-12-2007, 08:13 AM
bcs

Originally Posted by MikeyC,Mar 11 2007, 08:06 AM
Also, you can buy Menzerna from Detailer's Domain. They are in NJ. So, ground shipping would get to you overnight.
I'm in the other Washington. Over on the west. Might take a little longer.

Thank you guys for your suggestions! It really does help. While I want to get some good quality products...I don't want to pay a whole bunch extra for things that really aren't that necessary. I'm going to try to refine my list a little.
Old 03-12-2007, 11:10 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Nice move on the Edge Pads - I use them and love them.

Have you looked into Poorboy's polishes/synthetic sealant? I use them on my car and my client's cars and I've had great success with them. I have the SSR1, SSR2.5, and SSR3.

The green medium cutting Edge pad is my main pad with SSR2.5 polish, and I use the SSR3 and the Edge yellow pad (most abraisive) on the hood and trunk of the car - the swirls there are typically the hardest to get out so I use the heavy duty stuff. After that, I go over the entire car with the orange light cutting Edge pad and SSR1 fine polish. When I'm done polishing, I wash the car a 2nd time and go over everything with the Poorboy's EXP synthetic sealant and the Edge white finishing pad. I rarely use the blue pad for anything.

303 is the way to go with the cleaner and UV protectant - that stuff is great. It just smells like ass

I clay all glass and then apply Stoner's Invisible Glass which works wonders.

For rubber trim, I use Black Again and 303 UV on top of that.

For leather surfaces, I've found the Meg's 2 in 1 cleaner and conditioner works well and is quick and easy to use. I also use Meg's quick detailer on all interior surfaces and 303 UV on top of that.

As for wheels, car soap and a nice sponge works wonders. Use clay for the hard stuff. As for tire dressing, IMO you cannot get anything better than Zaino tire dressing. That stuff is AWESOME and well worth the money. It's the only Zaino product I like to use. It leaves a flat black matte finish - very hot

All of my client's car's paint feel like satin and look like glass; get a sun reflection at an angle on the paint and it's a clear glassy surface with zero surface swirls - it's unreal