S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Need to replace Wash Mitt

Old 01-05-2010, 09:05 PM

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Need to replace Wash Mitt

Hey all, I got a lambswool mitt a couple months ago and it's finally deteriorating on me. First of all, is this a natural thing to happen? I'm looking to replace it with something similar or if you guys have better options I'd love to hear them. I used to use a foam sponge on my other cars but thinking about it now, wouldn't that be pushing the dirt and grime against the paint?

I'd like to try the one on detailsdomain.com but I find it hard to swallow the $25 price tag. If I know it will last me a long time I wouldn't mind but seeing as how my current one constantly shed before falling apart I'm skeptical about spending a lot of money on these.

Uber Lambswool Mitt on Detailer's Domain

Lambswool Mitt on Amazon
Old 01-05-2010, 10:45 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i got this Wash mitt
my mom told me that its softer than her scarf lol. havent used it yet because of the cold. not sure how long it'll last but for under $10, i thought I'd give it a try. Detailer Domain's $25 is probably better quality, their prices were always reasonable, so i guess its somehow better. maybe phil can comment about it.
But if you just want one that works, that link should be good
Old 01-05-2010, 10:53 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

http://autodetailingsolutions.net/85-340.html

3 for $23.97, It's super soft and it's genuine sheepskin
Old 01-06-2010, 10:32 AM
Former Moderator

that isn't right. My sheepskin mitts are so old i've lost track of the years. My best guess is 7-9 years old and other than being a little stiff before i soak them, they look new.
Old 01-06-2010, 03:02 PM

You really should be getting more than a couple months use out of your wash mitts. There's something wrong going on here. Mine usually last at least a year.

Anyway, if you're looking for a replacement . . .

This mitt has really intrigued me lately, but I can't swallow the $40 price:

http://www.autogeek.net/supernatural-wash-mitt.html

I really like the ShMitts and I've been using the same one on my car for many years:

http://www.autogeek.net/shmitt.html
Old 01-06-2010, 05:45 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

when i was a young whipersnaper i was told that lambswool only lasts about a year- my experience is that mine last a whole lot longer than that. i do end up getting new ones about every year or so, and just use my older ones for other cars or dedicate them to "grime patrol" (undersides, engine, etc).

like utebit, i always soak mine first- when dry they are pretty hard, but they soften completely in the bucket.

so my vote is lamb- i have always wanted to try the shmitts and mikeyc reminded me!
Old 01-07-2010, 11:25 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I'm with Wanabe, Mikey, Vince, and the others.
If the mitt is for your own car, it should last you awhile. I have also wanted to try the SuperNatural wash mitt, but can't swallow the price. Just too much for something I know I'd wear out way too quick. In the warm months, I like to wash my car weekly.

As for the Shmitt, I don't like them for paint. There is nowhere for grime that's loosened by the foam to go when between the mitt and clear-coat. Just doesn't sound good IMO. I've found them to be THE BEST thing to use to clean wheels (faces at least) and wheel wells.
Old 01-07-2010, 02:00 PM

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I don't use mitts on the paint, except for when I use the decontamination kit.

I use the DD uber sponge for washing or the LC blue grout sponge.

I tried the scmitt before, and did not like it at all.

This is me of course, and I am not like everyone else. I am way too choosy
Old 01-07-2010, 05:36 PM

Originally Posted by MuttGrunt,Jan 7 2010, 03:25 PM
I'm with Wanabe, Mikey, Vince, and the others.
If the mitt is for your own car, it should last you awhile. I have also wanted to try the SuperNatural wash mitt, but can't swallow the price. Just too much for something I know I'd wear out way too quick. In the warm months, I like to wash my car weekly.

As for the Shmitt, I don't like them for paint. There is nowhere for grime that's loosened by the foam to go when between the mitt and clear-coat. Just doesn't sound good IMO. I've found them to be THE BEST thing to use to clean wheels (faces at least) and wheel wells.
I've used a white ShMitt to wash my car more times than I can count. It's never induced any marring in the paint that I'm aware of.

The reason being is that the face of the ShMitt is waffled. It kind of works like a really, really big version of the hairs of a lambs wool mitt. The hills of the waffling are kind of like the hairs. They knock the dirt off the surface. The valleys of the waffling are kind of like the space in between the hairs. They provide a place for the dirt to flow away from the paint. The ShMitt is very effective and has lasted me much longer than any lambs wool mitt.

Originally Posted by slanguage
I don't use mitts on the paint, except for when I use the decontamination kit.

I use the DD uber sponge for washing or the LC blue grout sponge.

I tried the scmitt before, and did not like it at all.

This is me of course, and I am not like everyone else. I am way too choosy
Yeah. The ShMitt definitely has a different feel and it takes some getting used too.