S2000 Wash and Wax S2000 Wash and wax discussions, hints and tips.

Paint-Coating/Sealant recommendations needed please.

Old 12-04-2015, 10:06 AM

Received 107 Likes on 102 Posts
Default Paint-Coating/Sealant recommendations needed please.

Hi guys,

I am looking for recommendations on a good, best bang for buck, Nano paint-coating.

Originally, I was planning to just do a 2-step (clay/compound/polish) on my car and just use a wax (OCW is what I usually use). But, the more I thought about it, especially since I don’t plan to polish my car often (every 3-5 years at most) and also since this usually takes me 1-2 full days to complete (I take my time), I figured I might as well top off my hard work with something that’ll last, Instead of just only using a simple wax, which only last a few months.

So far, I have 3 I am interested in (keep in mind, I don’t know every single product out there and have only done low-medium amount of research). The 3 are: Optimum Gloss-Coat, DP Paint Coating and Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating.

Obviously, all of them will have pros & cons. The ones that concern me are:

Optimum Gloss-Coat:
+ Quality and known brand.
+ Ease of application.
+ Glossy.
- Very very small amount (probably the smallest amount of any company) and leaves little room for error. 10cc = 0.34oz.
- Not super pricey; but, not exactly cheap either.
…Is gloss coat 100% glass/ceramic, or is it a blend of polymers too??

DP Paint Coating:
+ Cheaper price.
+ Large 4oz amount.
+ Ease of application.
+ Glossy.
- Not 100% ceramic/glass. I read it is a “blend” of polymers added too (which may lessen durability).

Pinnacle Black Label Diamond Paint Coating:
+ Very high durability, up to 3 years.
+ Large 4oz amount.
+ Ease of application.
+ Very glossy.
+ 100% ceramic with no fillers/polymers.
— Price. Very expensive at $80.
…Do you really to need use their specific brand’s prep-polish product (which is expensive too)?? Wouldn’t my prior paint correction polish work with a good IPA wipe down work as well?

Any other Nano paint-coating recommendations and insight highly welcome. The things I am looking for is:
- Durability. Longer the better.
- Ease of use and application.
- Best bang for buck. Not too expensive.
- Quality of protection and hydrophobic properties.
- Quality of shine.

So far, I am leading towards DP’s Paint Coating, mainly for its’ price and big 4oz amount. 2nd place, I am interested in PBL for its’ 3yr durability; but, that $80 price is a turn off. Optimum Gloss-Coat, I am a little iffy on, mainly because of the super small amount (10cc = 0.34oz).

Any help, recs, insight and tips welcome and appreciated.

-----

UPDATE:

I’ve also read several (recent/current) comments that some people are experiencing only 6-12 months durability from DP and PBL coatings. Which, obviously makes me very wary of spending $60-80 on and makes me want to use a good paint-sealant instead. Especially since there’s sealants out there that can (reportedly) last 3-12 months and are only around $20.

Here’s a couple easy application sealants, with good durability, I’ve read good things about.
- Gyeon WetCoat (marketed as 12 month durability; but, people report only getting 1-2 months tops from it).
- Prima Hydro Max (a good 4-6+ months).
- Optimum Opti-Seal (people report only 2-3 months tops)
- Sonax Polymer Net Shield (a very solid 6+ months, maybe more if garaged or taken care of. Some people report it's even better than some of the paint-coatings out there).

Anyone have experience with the aforesaid sealants?

Old 12-04-2015, 12:25 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

you could toss CQuartz into the mix.

I've heard very good things about it.

I actually like waxing/sealing my s2000, so i usually just put down Menzerna Powerlock and top with a good paste wax. Lasts me plenty long until i decide to strip and do it again.
Old 12-05-2015, 05:23 AM

Received 3,389 Likes on 2,460 Posts

^ I agree, Menzerna Powerlock will get you lots of durability, plus gloss and slippery surface qualities.
Old 12-05-2015, 01:28 PM

I've read Powerlock was good. I also read Sonax Polymer Net Shield & Prima Hydro Max is good too and maybe the best in terms of durability.

After non-stop obsessive reading and research on the best sealants for the past few days, think I have narrowed it down to 2 choices: Sonax PNS (for its' unbeaten/unmatched durability, even better than some nano/ceramic/glass-paint-coatings) or Prima Hydro Max (for its' super ease of use while still delivering durability (close to PNS)).

Anyone have experiences with Sonax PNS and/or Prima Hydro Max??
Old 12-06-2015, 10:52 AM

After even more research and thinking about it, I've nailed down my choice - Sonax PNS.

From what I've been reading, it's the closest thing to a true nano/ceramic paint coating. It's basically a poorman's paint coating. The durability beats the other top sealants out there, including Power Lock and Hydro Max (though, both of those have really good reviews too). Pretty much everyone says you can easily get a minimum of 6 month durability from it; and, the people reporting 6mo durability have 24/7 outdoor cars. It will obviously last longer than 6 months for a garaged car, just like some respected users on various detail-forums have reported - still beading well and working after 1 year of application.

I'll be happy and content with a solid 6 month durability. As that sounds very low maintenance for me, since I only need to apply it twice a year. Anything more than 6 month durability is just an added bonus and extra assurance it's still protecting the car.
Old 12-07-2015, 04:19 AM

Not to make your decision any more difficult, but take a look at Collonite 845.

I think AutoGeek has a how to on it ( just warm it up first to make it liquid).

for 18 bucks youll get a bottle that will last you about forever, it takes very little to complete a car.

It has great longevity, and is easy to put on.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:09 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Just more ideas: http://www.autogeekonline.net/forum/...test-ever.html

"Autoglym Extra Gloss Protection
Chemical Guys: M-Seal, Jetseal 109, Speed Amor
Klasse AIO and Sealant Glaze
Hi Temp Paste
Zaino AIO, Z2 and Z5
Wolfgang Deep Gloss Sealant."

For my car, which spends 365 days outdoors in sun, rain, sleet, snow, I personally prefer Wolfgang DGPS or Jetseal (when on sale). Jetseal can be had for very cheap on Amazon or Amazon Warehouse throughout the year. Do the proper prep and follow cure times, and you'll easily get 6 months from those two. Just my opinion.

Regarding the aerosol sealants, I just never got good durability from them. I've tried Adams Quick Sealant recently, and just did not work for me. They are great for wheels and on front bumpers during long trips (bug guts spray right off) but that's about it for me.
Old 12-07-2015, 08:47 AM

Thanks guys.

Yeah, I've seen Collonite 845 mentioned a lot. Maybe I'll do a little research on it right now.

That's an old link from 2008, and didn't include the newer highly-rated current sealants (PNS, Hydro Max, Power Lock, etc.).

Any of you guys try PNS or Hydro Max??
Old 12-07-2015, 10:54 AM

Did a bit of reading (2 pages worth of different links/threads after a Google search). Seems like PNS last +2x longer ("and going") than Collinite 476 and 845. I'm pretty much set on PNS.
Old 12-07-2015, 11:14 AM

I just don't know about the aerosol sealant. I feel like a can wouldn't last more than a few applications worth.

To each their own, I quite enjoy claying and waxing my S2000, so I pretty much just use a carnauba.

You'll have to report back with how you like it!

Quick Reply: Paint-Coating/Sealant recommendations needed please.