S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Brake Pads - PFC vs Pagid vs. ?

Old 04-07-2014, 11:18 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Brake Pads - PFC vs Pagid vs. ?

Hi,

Setup:
Stock brakes with 2.5" ducting up front.
255/40 Dunlop Star Specs all around

I currently have Carbotech XP10/8 for track days, and have managed to get 3 track days on them. I was happy with the stopping power, but not so much on the durability.

I'm currently looking at doing PFC 11 up front and PFC 97 in the rear, as these are the only sizes PFC makes for the S2000.
PFC 11 - https://www.bestbrakes.com/c/car-ser...3+HONDA+S2000+
PFC 97 - https://www.bestbrakes.com/c/car-ser...3+HONDA+S2000+

OR

Pagid RS29 front/PFC 97 rear

https://www.bestbrakes.com/c/car-ser...3+HONDA+S2000+

Does anyone with experience with XP10/8 combo have any input on these pads? My main concerns are stopping power that is as good, or better than the XP10/8 setup, but longer lasting. I also was not crazy about the pedal feel with the Carbotech setup. So something with better feel is always a plus.

Thanks!
Old 04-07-2014, 11:54 AM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

PFC11 will be more aggressive than XP10 as a front compound- Its closer to an XP12 or 16. RS29 will be slightly less aggressive but its a different type of pad (endurance vs. sprint) and is focused on longer life. 2-3 days is pretty standard for people using XP10 in the stock calipers. The problem is that the pads get really hot in the stock calipers using stock straight vaned rotors. Some pads handle this better than others- the XP10 can handle it without fading in your case, but it happens to wear really fast when they are operating in the upper end of their temp range. Pagid RS29 may be worth a shot, but like XP10, they prefer to operate well below the upper end of their temp range so Im not exactly sure if you would see them lasting too much longer.

We have had success with the PFC11 and Project Mu Club Racer as front compounds.

PFC 11 Front
PFC 97 Rear

Project Mu Club Racer Front
Project Mu Club Racer Rear

Depending on how often you track your car it may be worth looking into a BBK or at least two-piece floating front rotors that will keep the pads cooler. FWIW I went from getting ~2 days out of XP10s in the stock calipers to 12 in my stoptech BBK. My Club Racers are on track to last 15 or 16 days and I don't use ducting. For how much I go to the track it only took 1.5 years for the BBK to pay for itself :thumb up:

-Matt M.
Old 04-07-2014, 12:28 PM
Community Organizer

Received 663 Likes on 417 Posts

Great question, I have been thinking about the exact same thing. I can't get a whole weekend out of XP10/8s on stock calipers and 12/10s weren't any better. I was thinking of trying PFCs and two piece rotor and if that didn't do the trick then maybe BBK.
Old 04-07-2014, 04:37 PM

Received 20 Likes on 18 Posts

I have ran xp10-8 for many years and I feel that the back doesn't grab enough and gets light under heavy braking

I would recommend trying the same compound front and rear
Old 04-07-2014, 04:38 PM

Received 39 Likes on 34 Posts

I ran the PFC 11 on my fronts at my last weekend and used about half their life, which wasn't much better than I was getting out of XP10's, however I no longer had any fade, and I was fading the XP10's. So they were still an improvement.

At this point it's clear I will need better heat management or I will continue to wear out pads quickly regardless of compound.
Old 04-07-2014, 09:24 PM

On my stock car, I got 2 track days out of my XP10 front pads. I later switched to PF11 front pads and used them for 3.5 track days. When I pulled them off I saw they had enough material for maybe another track day, but that would have been cutting it close. I preferred the feel of the PF11 compound over the XP10, they seemed to handle the heat better.

One thing that I would have liked to be able to do on the PF11 is swap the pad from inside to outside of the rotor. My inner pad that was in contact with the piston was a bit warped and had worn down quicker than the outside pad. But the inner pad has little nubs that protrude from the backing and that prevents you from swapping them to the outside of the caliper. If I could have done that, I probably could have gotten another track day at least.
Old 04-07-2014, 10:11 PM

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

I am a fan of Project µ Club Racers my self, and look like the PFC setup will be a great option as well from the testing Speedfreaks has done. I have been running Club Racers + Girodisc 2-piece OEM sized from rotors for awhile now and have been pretty happy on a staggered setup. Should be adding ducting soon to see if I can increase pad life a bit. When I go to a square setup I will likely switch to a BBK just out of shear laziness and it is no longer a huge concern.

Whatever you decide, get them from Speed-freaks.net! :thumb up:

The lack of dust with the Club Racers is pretty impressive.
Old 04-08-2014, 08:18 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I switched from a XP10/8 and XP12/10 setup to PFC01/PFC97. I am super happy with the setup. I never liked pedal feel with the Carbotechs. It is MUCH better with PFC and not even the slightest hint of fade.

I hear the PFC11 is even better than the PFC01 so you can't go wrong. I'm waiting for them to release the PFC11 compound for my caliper (Wilwood). I can't say how much better wear they get because I have been going to different tracks with very different braking zones.
Old 04-08-2014, 10:15 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I uses to run Cobalt Fiction like 5 years ago. Are they still around?
Old 04-09-2014, 06:23 AM

Originally Posted by zpeed
I uses to run Cobalt Fiction like 5 years ago. Are they still around?
Yes, I'm using their compounds.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads - PFC vs Pagid vs. ?