S2000 Racing and Competition The S2000 on the track and Solo circuit. Some of the fastest S2000 drivers in the world call this forum home.

Brake Pads - PFC vs Pagid vs. ?

Old 04-11-2014, 01:16 AM

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

how bad is brake dust with PFC01 and PFC11?

i've had PFC97 in front Wilwoods for a months and its dust have stick to the wheels so bad that it took me forever to clean them
Old 04-11-2014, 03:07 PM
Former Sponsor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Sylvan
One thing that I would have liked to be able to do on the PF11 is swap the pad from inside to outside of the rotor. My inner pad that was in contact with the piston was a bit warped and had worn down quicker than the outside pad. But the inner pad has little nubs that protrude from the backing and that prevents you from swapping them to the outside of the caliper. If I could have done that, I probably could have gotten another track day at least.
You're talking about the front pads and not the rears, right? The fronts shouldn't have the nubs and you should be able to flip them. If they had them it may have been a fluke, the ones Ive seen all have smooth back plates that are flippable.

Originally Posted by andrewhake
I am a fan of Project µ Club Racers my self, and look like the PFC setup will be a great option as well from the testing Speedfreaks has done. I have been running Club Racers + Girodisc 2-piece OEM sized from rotors for awhile now and have been pretty happy on a staggered setup. Should be adding ducting soon to see if I can increase pad life a bit. When I go to a square setup I will likely switch to a BBK just out of shear laziness and it is no longer a huge concern.

Whatever you decide, get them from Speed-freaks.net! :thumb up:

The lack of dust with the Club Racers is pretty impressive.
Yeah the Club Racers are are definitely the lowest dusting and quietest track pad Ive experienced (on the street anyways). If anyone street drives their car in between track days and doesn't want to swap pads, the Club Racers should be on your short list of pads to consider.

Originally Posted by zpeed
I uses to run Cobalt Fiction like 5 years ago. Are they still around?
Yes Sir! The XR2/XR5 is a popular combo but I preferred a more aggressive rear like XR3 or even XR2

Cobalt XR2 Front
Cobalt XR2 Front (Cobalt-Optimezed pad design)

Cobalt XR2 Rear
Cobalt XR3 Rear
Cobalt XR4 Rear
Cobalt XR5 Rear

Originally Posted by Croc
how bad is brake dust with PFC01 and PFC11?

i've had PFC97 in front Wilwoods for a months and its dust have stick to the wheels so bad that it took me forever to clean them
Did you drive them aggressively in the rain or somehow get them wet and heat them up again?

-Matt M.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:23 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Speed Freaks LLC
Originally Posted by Sylvan' timestamp='1396934652' post='23102389
One thing that I would have liked to be able to do on the PF11 is swap the pad from inside to outside of the rotor. My inner pad that was in contact with the piston was a bit warped and had worn down quicker than the outside pad. But the inner pad has little nubs that protrude from the backing and that prevents you from swapping them to the outside of the caliper. If I could have done that, I probably could have gotten another track day at least.
You're talking about the front pads and not the rears, right? The fronts shouldn't have the nubs and you should be able to flip them. If they had them it may have been a fluke, the ones Ive seen all have smooth back plates that are flippable.
Yep, the front pads. On the backing plate there were two nubs sticking out in the corner, and they would contact the two fingers of the caliper if I tried to place them on the outside. Looks like this: (attached pic)
[attachment=56903:Brake Pad.png]
Attached Thumbnails Brake Pads - PFC vs Pagid vs. ?-brake-pad.png  
Old 04-11-2014, 08:59 PM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by Sylvan
Yep, the front pads. On the backing plate there were two nubs sticking out in the corner, and they would contact the two fingers of the caliper if I tried to place them on the outside. Looks like this: (attached pic)
[attachment=56903:Brake Pad.png]
Worst case scenario you can smooth them out on a bench grinder or something so you can flip them. Thats strange and definitely annoying, though. Pads are one of our biggest consumables expenses and you should be able to flip them to squeeze all the life you can out of them. I'll see if we can get this sorted out with PFC and make sure all our future orders don't have these. Im sorry yours came with the nubs.

-Matt M.
Old 04-12-2014, 12:30 AM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

I have experience with both both PFC and Pagid pads on the S2000. Both are excellent. Here's what I've used:

Pagid RS29 (Yellows) - Endurance pad. Lasts a hell of a long time, and provides more than enough stopping power for an R-Comp or even slick. Extremely smooth initial engagement. Easy to modulation.

PFC 06 - Another "endurance pad". Similar style of pad to the RS29's. However, a tad more aggressive. They have much stronger initial bite compared to the RS29's, and I found the torque rise to be a bit sharper vs temperature. Need to finesse the middle pedal a bit more towards the end of the brake zone as to not over-brake. However, extremely controllable. Release characteristics are second to none. Torque is comparable to Carbotech XP12/16.

PFC 08 - Newer version of the O6 pad. These pucks BITE... HARD. The initial torque is much higher compared to the 06's. Need to have a lighter touch on the brake pedal. They last equally as long as the 06's. These pads will have no problem consistently hauling down a 3000 lb car on slicks. Like the 06, it will take a special kind of abuse to fade these.

PFC 97 - great pad. Extremely easy to modulate. Much less initial bite than the above. They won't cause any surprises. Solid, especially for novice to intermediate skill levels. I use these on the rear axle, with the 06 or 08's up front.

I've also used the RS29's with PFC97's in the rear. Works surprisingly well. Both have very smooth initial torque, and nothing crazy going on with torque vs temperature. Use with confidence.

Another note, the Pagid's lose some of their torque towards the backing plates. The PFC's will stay consistent right to the bones.

Originally Posted by Speed Freaks LLC
Depending on how often you track your car it may be worth looking into a BBK or at least two-piece floating front rotors that will keep the pads cooler. FWIW I went from getting ~2 days out of XP10s in the stock calipers to 12 in my stoptech BBK. My Club Racers are on track to last 15 or 16 days and I don't use ducting. For how much I go to the track it only took 1.5 years for the BBK to pay for itself :thumb up:

-Matt M.
This has been my experience as well. A set of PFC's will last me an entire season. I've already paid for my BBK twice over with the money/time saved from frequent pad changes. I certainly don't miss needing a new set of carbotech's every other day at the track.
Old 04-12-2014, 06:53 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

^Agree. AP racing BBK +ST45+SRF=standalone brake system.
Old 04-17-2014, 06:26 PM

Received 25 Likes on 12 Posts

PFC-01 & 11 are Great pads, they've won a ton of championships in various series and have great pedal feel and modulation. The dust isn't great but if you don't neglect your wheels and clean them after a track day, they're fine. They also don't like to be on other pad compounds so use new or recently turned rotors.
Old 04-18-2014, 07:32 AM
Community Organizer

Received 667 Likes on 420 Posts

Do the PFC or other pads last significantly longer than carbotechs?
Old 04-18-2014, 08:53 AM
Former Sponsor

Originally Posted by goldenfri
Our experience is that they last longer, especially the 97 compound. The 11 definitely lasts longer than XP10 or 12 but excellent wear wasn't the main focus of that pad... see the PFC 08 or 12 for that ( thought, they are not available for stock calipers) Still, if you are getting ~2days on XP10 you can expect to get at least ~3-4 on PFC 11. That alone should help justify the price, but as others have mentioned the PFC are on a different level in terms of feel.

Going with a 2-piece fully floating rotor like the GiroDisc helps out a lot, too. If you or anyone else is interested, we are still offering this package. Option 2 is the most popular (rotors + pads of your choice - $100 discount w/ free shipping in the continental US)

-Matt M.
Old 04-18-2014, 09:40 PM

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by goldenfri
Unequivocally, yes.

Quick Reply: Brake Pads - PFC vs Pagid vs. ?