S2000 Under The Hood S2000 Technical and Mechanical discussions.

Service bulletin

Old 06-14-2002, 05:40 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Service bulletin

Hi guys,

I received this morning a service bulletin from Honda Netherlands.

Honda had found out that there are 2 problems:
1) cooling of the engine (#4 cylinderproblem??).
2) loose spark plugs

The solutions are:

1) New bolts in the engine with extra holes to create better flow of the oil. There can be a problem with cooling the cylinderwall.
2) New seating material for the spark plugs and different (new) spark plugs.

I could scan the letter, but Dutch isn't widely spoken.

I spoke with my dealer and they're going to do the change (it's supposed to take a day!) on 1 july.

Did you guys also receive this letter or is this only applied to The Netherlands (or even European) cars. This msg is also put on the European forum, but no response yet.
Old 06-14-2002, 05:59 AM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

I have not seen anything similar.. and this is the first post I have seen regarding this. Would like to see additional details when available.. do you know which bolts are to be replaced?
Old 06-14-2002, 06:39 AM

Hi cdelena,

I'll keep everybody posted. Here's an exact translation of the letter (any mistakes are probably mine). I'll try to photograph the new products which will be installed. Also I'll try to photograph the things they take out.

============
Concerning: Modification S2000

Dear Sir, Madam,

Quality assurance is for Honda always an element to guarantee optimal quality and durability of her products. However during one of our quality improvement activities Honda found out about problems that could occur with Honda S2000 engines.

Under certain driving circumstances there can be insufficient lubrication and cooling of the headers in the engine. The result can be damage to the engine. There can also be a loss of power due to spark plugs which are loose in the cylinderhead because of the choice of the material in the spark plug seating (not sure about this translation). Possibly you car with licenseplate XX-XX-XX is affected. To prevent the problem the factory has made a change in the lubricatrion system of the engine and the spark plug seating material. A number of holes have been made in the oil passing bolts which lubricate the cylinderwall.

We request kindly - preferably on short term - to contact your official Honda dealer for an appointment so your car can be modified. We also ask you to show this letter to your dealer.

This modification is of course free of charge. We estimate the dealer needs the car for one day for the modification. If you want more information regarding this subject like the exact time needed for this check, contact your dealer.

We thank you politely for your cooperation and we send our apologies upfront about any inconveniences this action has for you.

Kind regards,
Honda Netherlands B.V.
Old 06-14-2002, 08:23 AM

Hi Ronald,

I received the same letter from Honda Netherlands. Please keep me posted. I am also very interested in your question. My car is from July 2000. Is this a necessary modification for every S2000, or only for some?

Kind regards,
Wibo
Old 06-14-2002, 12:45 PM

Hi guys,

found first problem in my translation (unfortunately I'm not allowed to edit my own post). Everywhere you see coil mentioned you should read 'spark plug', that makes it a correct translation.
Old 06-14-2002, 12:51 PM
Former Moderator

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Ronald I edited it for you, so it should read correctly now.
Old 06-14-2002, 01:28 PM

Thnx Turbo_pwr.

It looks like only the Dutch importer has send out the letters. A dealer in Luxemburg has already heard about it. I wonder about the rest of the world.

Doubleu: Haven't seen you before. My dealer (De Bois in Zeist) told me that it's probably related to all models, even MY2002!
Old 06-14-2002, 01:32 PM

Here's betting a buck that American Honda will be last to the game.
Old 06-14-2002, 01:34 PM

This is very very interesting. Would seem that Honda now is very aware of the problem with the #4 cylinder problem as well as the spark plugs backing out. I wonder when America Honda Motor corp is going to send out a letter, if at all?? Keep us posted.

Dale
Old 06-14-2002, 02:16 PM

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally posted by jschmidt
Here's betting a buck that American Honda will be last to the game.
You have the numbers on your side.. with the 25K+ cars here I bet they run the numbers and decide to argue the warranty work rather than do a proactive fix. Probably won't even put out a TSB since they can't keep them hidden.. will clue the DSM's and Tech-line and see how few they can do while warranties run down.

Quick Reply: Service bulletin